Notre-Dame: Massive fire ravages cathedral (other link)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Notre-Dame: Massive fire ravages cathedral (other link)

Post by explorer »

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Sidewalker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am
TOG wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am one of my favorite places in Paris,
a tragedy to survive 2 world wars an succumb to a fire from inside.
Seems it went up very fast
Easy to survive WW2 when you capitulate rather than fight. That's the main reason the French capitulated, to save the Parisian architecture.

To quote an historic source..

"By the 6th of June of 1940, French leaders had to surrender and Paris was declared an “open city” by General Hering, the French military governor. Allied forces and French troops withdrew. They did not want a violent battle, nor Paris to be destructed."
In 1944 a German general von Choltitz did about the same.

On 1 August 1944 von Choltitz was promoted to the rank of general of infantry, and on August 7, he became the military governor of Paris. He arrived at Paris on 9 August. In the following 16 days, he claimed to have disobeyed several direct orders from Adolf Hitler to destroy the city. Hitler's order from 23 August said: "The city must not fall into the enemy's hand except lying in complete debris." A common account[2] holds that Hitler phoned him in a rage, screaming, "Brennt Paris?" ("Is Paris burning?") [According to Col. Genl Jodl, Hitler's chief of staff, the question "Is Paris burning?" was apparently addressed to him in the room. He continued: "Jodl, I want to know... is Paris burning? Is Paris burning right now, Jodl?" Von Choltitz claimed to have prevented a complete uprising of the city's inhabitants and direct battles within the city by a mix of active contact with his enemies, negotiation with the Resistance, and demonstrations of power, ultimately preventing any major damage to the famous city. He and 17,000 men under his command surrendered to French general Philippe Leclerc de Hautecloque and the Resistance leader Henri Rol-Tanguy at the Gare Montparnasse on 25 August 1944. For preventing a second Stalingrad, von Choltitz was regarded as "saviour of Paris"[3] by some.
Your knowledge of General von Choltiz astounds me. My father was a fighter Pilot seconded to an RCAF base in Baden Soelligen. My parents and I lived in Von Choltiz villa on the outskirts of Baden Baden. I was a year old at the time, late 1950's and most of my baby pictures are of me laying on his antique furniture. The General would click his heals together and kiss my mother's hand. She was terrified of him as he was an old Nazi, but a lot of Germans didn t like him as he was considered a traitor by many. The 1966 film "Is Paris Burning?" has always been one of my favourite films. Respect to you for your knowledge

As a sidenote : During his internment in Trent Park many of the officers’ private conversations were secretly recorded by the British in the hope that they might reveal strategic information. In one such conversation, on 29 August 1944, Choltitz was quoted as saying "The worst job I ever carried out - which however I carried out with great consistency - was the liquidation of the Jews. I carried out this thoroughly and entirely."
Though never charged with a war crime, the general participated in operation Barbarossa and received the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, a certain indication that he was efficient at most orders given to him.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Everybody calms down and watch Ratatouille.
We have the billionaires giving money away for this, we have the trees, the carpenters the stained glass artists, and an American 3D scan with some 5mm imprecisions gaps at most.

That should do it, move along, get back to your croissants, tourists will come back anyway.

Peace.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Quote:Your knowledge of General von Choltiz astounds me.
Little bit to much honour, I knew what happened in 1944 in Paris, but I Googled for the details :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

It was an accident! I don't like Islam but to blame everything on Islam means people will ignore you even when its true :facepalm:
'the boy who cried wolf"?

Charlie
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 am
Sidewalker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am
TOG wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am one of my favorite places in Paris,
a tragedy to survive 2 world wars an succumb to a fire from inside.
Seems it went up very fast
Easy to survive WW2 when you capitulate rather than fight. That's the main reason the French capitulated, to save the Parisian architecture.

To quote an historic source..

"By the 6th of June of 1940, French leaders had to surrender and Paris was declared an “open city” by General Hering, the French military governor. Allied forces and French troops withdrew. They did not want a violent battle, nor Paris to be destructed."
In 1944 a German general von Choltitz did about the same.

On 1 August 1944 von Choltitz was promoted to the rank of general of infantry, and on August 7, he became the military governor of Paris. He arrived at Paris on 9 August. In the following 16 days, he claimed to have disobeyed several direct orders from Adolf Hitler to destroy the city. Hitler's order from 23 August said: "The city must not fall into the enemy's hand except lying in complete debris." A common account[2] holds that Hitler phoned him in a rage, screaming, "Brennt Paris?" ("Is Paris burning?") [According to Col. Genl Jodl, Hitler's chief of staff, the question "Is Paris burning?" was apparently addressed to him in the room. He continued: "Jodl, I want to know... is Paris burning? Is Paris burning right now, Jodl?" Von Choltitz claimed to have prevented a complete uprising of the city's inhabitants and direct battles within the city by a mix of active contact with his enemies, negotiation with the Resistance, and demonstrations of power, ultimately preventing any major damage to the famous city. He and 17,000 men under his command surrendered to French general Philippe Leclerc de Hautecloque and the Resistance leader Henri Rol-Tanguy at the Gare Montparnasse on 25 August 1944. For preventing a second Stalingrad, von Choltitz was regarded as "saviour of Paris"[3] by some.
Your knowledge of General von Choltiz astounds me. My father was a fighter Pilot seconded to an RCAF base in Baden Soelligen. My parents and I lived in Von Choltiz villa on the outskirts of Baden Baden. I was a year old at the time, late 1950's and most of my baby pictures are of me laying on his antique furniture. The General would click his heals together and kiss my mother's hand. She was terrified of him as he was an old Nazi, but a lot of Germans didn t like him as he was considered a traitor by many. The 1966 film "Is Paris Burning?" has always been one of my favourite films. Respect to you for your knowledge

As a sidenote : During his internment in Trent Park many of the officers’ private conversations were secretly recorded by the British in the hope that they might reveal strategic information. In one such conversation, on 29 August 1944, Choltitz was quoted as saying "The worst job I ever carried out - which however I carried out with great consistency - was the liquidation of the Jews. I carried out this thoroughly and entirely."
Though never charged with a war crime, the general participated in operation Barbarossa and received the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, a certain indication that he was efficient at most orders given to him.
My best friend was an army brat in Baden during his high school years.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 pm It was an accident! I don't like Islam but to blame everything on Islam means people will ignore you even when its true :facepalm:
'the boy who cried wolf"?

Charlie
Usually the investigations take a long time to determine the cause of a fire. How is it possible less than 48 hours after the fire they have ruled out foul play? I don't buy it.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

You never will "buy it". your mind is made :please:

Charlie
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:48 pm You never will "buy it". your mind is made :please:

Charlie
Maybe it was an accident. Where is the report? I just don't think that something of that magnitude could be determined that fast.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic