2% Anchor flavored upside down lemon beer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: 2% Anchor flavored upside down lemon beer

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:01 am Sub topic for teetotallers, or just any old hard-working thirsty throats.
Nothing beats home made, but what is the best canned lemon squash in Cambodia?

I used to like Schweppes bitter lemon, but now they have replaced the quinine with a blunter weapon. Not the same sharp piquancy as before.
While Sprite is just too damned artificially sweet, try adding a splash of the chemical that's sold as cheap lime juice, and maybe a splash of whiskey, over a lot of ice. One of my favourite drinks on hot days!
Duncan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 am Time to get back to making ginger beer
Yeah, nothing beats a good cutting home made ginger beer! Have you made it here? How's it go with the temperatures? Here's something that will really give you a bad mental image. On a stinking hot day, take 2/3 a glass of superchilled ginger beer and slowly pour in fresh milk. The milk will curdle and look disgusting, but scull it anyway - very refreshing.
Spoiler:
It's appropriately called Afterbirth.
Felgerkarb wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:19 pm A shandy on a really hot day is very refreshing.
I'm glad other men feel manly enough to admit this! I actually don't like drinking beer when the weather is too tropical, but a 50/50 shandy hits the spot. That's probably why Raddler-style drinks will do well here, especially if they don't come with stupid pricing. After all, it's a blend of 50c drinks, right?

I made quite a lot of ginger beer a few years back. But as everyone knows, it's best drunk within a few days of bottling it as the yeast keeps on fermenting and eventually you end up with exploding or over pressurized bottles. I ended up using the plastic bottles that Oshie lemon tea comes in, then putting the bottles inside cans with the top and bottom cut out. That stopped them looking like balloons but the bottoms still rounded out and had to be stood up inside coka-cola crates.

One time I took 6 bottles to a friend near riverside and he gave a bottle each to two Cambodian boys ,,, about 10 or 12 years old . Told them it was ginger beer , but had no alcohol in it so it's ok.

They liked it but said the beer is strong.,,,,,, The '' psycho '' effect of the word ''beer '' affected them so much that they ended up rolling around drunk, even when we told them,, You cannot get drunk on this stuff.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:19 pm I made quite a lot of ginger beer a few years back. But as everyone knows, it's best drunk within a few days of bottling it as the yeast keeps on fermenting and eventually you end up with exploding or over pressurized bottles. I ended up using the plastic bottles that Oshie lemon tea comes in, then putting the bottles inside cans with the top and bottom cut out. That stopped them looking like balloons but the bottoms still rounded out and had to be stood up inside coka-cola crates.

One time I took 6 bottles to a friend near riverside and he gave a bottle each to two Cambodian boys ,,, about 10 or 12 years old . Told them it was ginger beer , but had no alcohol in it so it's ok.

They liked it but said the beer is strong.,,,,,, The '' psycho '' effect of the word ''beer '' affected them so much that they ended up rolling around drunk, even when we told them,, You cannot get drunk on this stuff.
I used to make it with those Grolsch swing-top beer bottles, perfect for the job but difficult to get here. And yeah, over-carboning was fairly spectacular at times! There's a microbrewery in Broome, Australia that does an alcoholic ginger beer which is a trap. On a hot day you just keep throwing it back and while it's only 3.5% a few of them in a short time in the tropics will make you most attractive to the ladies.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:28 pm
Duncan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:19 pm I made quite a lot of ginger beer a few years back. But as everyone knows, it's best drunk within a few days of bottling it as the yeast keeps on fermenting and eventually you end up with exploding or over pressurized bottles. I ended up using the plastic bottles that Oshie lemon tea comes in, then putting the bottles inside cans with the top and bottom cut out. That stopped them looking like balloons but the bottoms still rounded out and had to be stood up inside coka-cola crates.

I used to make it with those Grolsch swing-top beer bottles, perfect for the job but difficult to get here. And yeah, over-carboning was fairly spectacular at times! There's a microbrewery in Broome, Australia that does an alcoholic ginger beer which is a trap. On a hot day you just keep throwing it back and while it's only 3.5% a few of them in a short time in the tropics will make you most attractive to the ladies.
I also made a alcohol type drink using a wine yeast, but I would say it was more a Ginger Wine rather than a ginger beer.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

There are two types of ginger beer, one made with yeast, and one made with a "scoby" (symbiotic culture of yeast and bacteria).
I make mine with regular yeast, I've tried it using champagne yeast, Safale etc. but I prefer the stronger flavor of baking yeast. I also add dried hot chili for an extra kick. Nothing better on a stonking hot day. I've had no issues making it here except for a drastic reduction in fermentation time, about a day and a half here, vs 4-6 days where I'm from.
up to you...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Clemen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:21 pm There are two types of ginger beer, one made with yeast, and one made with a "scoby" (symbiotic culture of yeast and bacteria).
I make mine with regular yeast, I've tried it using champagne yeast, Safale etc. but I prefer the stronger flavor of baking yeast. I also add dried hot chili for an extra kick. Nothing better on a stonking hot day. I've had no issues making it here except for a drastic reduction in fermentation time, about a day and a half here, vs 4-6 days where I'm from.
Did you find champagne yeast in Bodge? I had a pretty serious look for it, but without any luck.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

No, I haven't found it here. I had a friend bring some. I thought it was really good with mango and Longan. I'm out now though.
up to you...
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

This stuffs fantastic!! I just wish more bars would stock it. Find in the K.O.W i have a constant battle with my alcohol consumption. Don't like sugary drinks but find it really hard to pay $1.50 for a bottle of water. Sometimes go for soda water with a squeeze of lime but prefer the glass bottle stuff and here its always in a can. Hope the radler is popular enough that they keep making it, can see it might be a difficult sell with Cambodians on account of that "if not drink for drunk drink for what?" thing. Get the impression that its not that common for these guys to have just one beer with a meal. Find the taste to be like homebrewed lemonade, I think its nicer with a more real lemony taste than the Monteiths version in N.Z.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Is there anywhere selling homebrew and winemaking stuff?
yeasts, glass jars and bubblers, whatever they're called

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic