Bringing my Vape Gear To Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chodi
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Bringing my Vape Gear To Phnom Penh

Post by Chodi »

AUDD wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:14 pm
Chodi wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 pm I am moving to Phnom Penh in August. I have been there before so I have a reasonable idea what to expect. I am moving for retirement from Pattaya where I have been for the past 19 years. I am one of the unlucky ones who got caught up in the new Thai retirement rules. I am $120 a month under the requirement in my monthly pension and I cannot afford to leave $26000 locked up in a Thai bank until I die. I have that much but I have to dip into it from time to time and that is not permitted under the new rules.

So here is my question for the experts: I gave up smoking four years ago. I switched to vaping and turned that into a hobby. I have a load of mods and tanks, so many that I don't even use. Just collecting the stuff over time. Like a hobby. It is of course illegal in Thailand but easy to obtain and many Chinese companies will ship product to my home in Pattaya. I know because I have lots of it and never had a problem. I do not vape outside my home. Can I bring some of my Vape setup through the airport in Phnom Penh in my carry on or am I risking a problem. Can I have some of my gear shipped to me through the postal service from Thailand to my new address in Phnom Penh or is that a possible risk.

I don't want to get off to a bad start here but I really don't want to go back to cigarettes. Any advice from those with experience in this would be a big help.
Bringing vape stuff to Cambo through an airport is not a problem and vaping here is ok too, but I'd be more worried about the Thai side after reading a few stories about wanting bribe money etc. I have my vape gear and juices in my carry on and I arrive and depart at least once a month through Phnom Penh airport. Only time I got stopped was once in Singapore and he asked to look at my vape once and a few airports have checked the size of the juice containers on departure. Just make sure juices are 100mls or less or else they will take them off you.

In PP there are quite a few vapes shops around selling lots of juices and equipment etc and even a few different mini marts stock ejuices (although not much variety).
Thanks very much for your sharing your personal experience. I think I will have my items shipped to me via postal service perhaps in two packages. I might take one in carry on bag with me when I depart. I don't think there is any problem on departure from Thailand but I would not want to carry a vape kit into Thailand through the airport. No need for me to do that as I will be going one way....out.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Chodi wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:02 pm
AUDD wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:14 pm
Chodi wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 pm I am moving to Phnom Penh in August. I have been there before so I have a reasonable idea what to expect. I am moving for retirement from Pattaya where I have been for the past 19 years. I am one of the unlucky ones who got caught up in the new Thai retirement rules. I am $120 a month under the requirement in my monthly pension and I cannot afford to leave $26000 locked up in a Thai bank until I die. I have that much but I have to dip into it from time to time and that is not permitted under the new rules.

So here is my question for the experts: I gave up smoking four years ago. I switched to vaping and turned that into a hobby. I have a load of mods and tanks, so many that I don't even use. Just collecting the stuff over time. Like a hobby. It is of course illegal in Thailand but easy to obtain and many Chinese companies will ship product to my home in Pattaya. I know because I have lots of it and never had a problem. I do not vape outside my home. Can I bring some of my Vape setup through the airport in Phnom Penh in my carry on or am I risking a problem. Can I have some of my gear shipped to me through the postal service from Thailand to my new address in Phnom Penh or is that a possible risk.

I don't want to get off to a bad start here but I really don't want to go back to cigarettes. Any advice from those with experience in this would be a big help.
Bringing vape stuff to Cambo through an airport is not a problem and vaping here is ok too, but I'd be more worried about the Thai side after reading a few stories about wanting bribe money etc. I have my vape gear and juices in my carry on and I arrive and depart at least once a month through Phnom Penh airport. Only time I got stopped was once in Singapore and he asked to look at my vape once and a few airports have checked the size of the juice containers on departure. Just make sure juices are 100mls or less or else they will take them off you.

In PP there are quite a few vapes shops around selling lots of juices and equipment etc and even a few different mini marts stock ejuices (although not much variety).
Thanks very much for your sharing your personal experience. I think I will have my items shipped to me via postal service perhaps in two packages. I might take one in carry on bag with me when I depart. I don't think there is any problem on departure from Thailand but I would not want to carry a vape kit into Thailand through the airport. No need for me to do that as I will be going one way....out.
Probably the worst idea. That won't make it through customs.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

shipping OUT of Thailand u need write what is in the box, ( if they know you) otherwise u need pack it in front of them.
Plus us need show passport ( or thai drivers license which as ur passport on it)
Not a good idea
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chodi
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Chodi »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:47 am shipping OUT of Thailand u need write what is in the box, ( if they know you) otherwise u need pack it in front of them.
Plus us need show passport ( or thai drivers license which as ur passport on it)
Not a good idea
I don't know where you are located in Thailand but I can tell you I have shipped lots of stuff including vape gear in and out of Thailand from Pattaya. Never had to show my passport. Never had to pack anything in front of anyone. You can list whatever you want on the tiny space permitted for description of contents. How do you think all those huge Chinese sellers ship into Thailand without any problem. I have received dozens of such shipments. Two years ago there was a crackdown for a few months but that has long passed. The ems service is fast and reliable from Thailand. Never had a problem and the tracking is accurate. I cannot speak for the Cambodian side I have no experience with that. Even during the crackdown all they did was confiscate the shipment. Nothing else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic