julian assange nicked

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: julian assange nicked

Post by epidemiks »

Sweden drops Julian Assange rape investigation

Swedish prosecutors have dropped their investigation into an allegation that Julian Assange raped a woman in Stockholm in August 2010, saying the decade of delay means the evidence is now too weak to support a prosecution.

WikiLeaks welcomed the decision on its founder's behalf, saying the investigation had become "politicised".

But Sweden's deputy director of public prosecutions Eva-Marie Persson said she “would like to emphasise that the injured party has submitted a credible and reliable version of events”, and her statements were “coherent, extensive and detailed”.

Assange entered the Ecuador embassy in London in June 2012 seeking political asylum, days after the UK Supreme Court rejected his last appeal against extradition to Sweden to face sex crime accusations.

He maintained then, and ever since, that he was innocent of the accusations. He said if he was sent to Sweden he would be at greater risk of further extradition to the US to face espionage charges and a possible death penalty in connection with his work publishing classified information at Wikileaks.

Those US charges were at last revealed earlier this year, and Assange was expelled from the embassy in April. He is now in Belmarsh Prison in London awaiting an extradition hearing next year.
https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/ ... 53c68.html
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

US Department of Justice argues Assange has no First Amendment rights

the source may be highly suspect, but i'll guess this is true
so no first amendment rights, because foreigner
yet still subject to US laws, despite, foreigner

US has very definitely lost it's 'good guy' pin

monstra mihi bona!
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

And they are refusing to send back to the UK a diplomats wife who killed a man by dangerous driving then skipped the country
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:43 pm US Department of Justice argues Assange has no First Amendment rights

the source may be highly suspect, but i'll guess this is true
so no first amendment rights, because foreigner
yet still subject to US laws, despite, foreigner

US has very definitely lost it's 'good guy' pin
Sorry, when did we ever have one?
Ask the folks in Gitmo how their constitutional rights are going.

A US psychologist who helped develop the CIA's "enhanced interrogation" (newspeak for torture) techniques has given evidence before a military tribunal in Guantánamo Bay.
Dr Mitchell, appearing as a witness, told one of the defence lawyers that he had agreed to testify "for the victims and families. Not you".
"You folks have been saying untrue and malicious things about me and Dr Jessen for years," he added, according to the New York Times.
Cuz, torture and war crimes are ok if the guy is "bad".
Double + good
up to you...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

If you don't think this is fixed
take a look at the judge -

Commenting in 2018 when Assange’s lawyers requested that the warrant for his arrest be dropped, Arbuthnot said, “I accept that Mr. Assange had expressed fears of being returned to the United States from a very early stage in the Swedish extradition proceedings but, absent any evidence from Mr. Assange on oath, I do not find that Mr. Assange’s fears were reasonable,

This statement by the judge captures the Alice-in-Wonderland quality of the judicial persecution of Assange. She dismisses as unreasonable Assange’s fears that if he voluntarily left the Ecuadorian Embassy he would be arrested by British police and extradited to the United States because he did not appear in court to express them. And yet, she is now presiding over his extradition trial.

This circular logic is not the only disturbing aspect of Judge Arbuthnot’s overseeing of the Assange case. She is married to James Arbuthnot, who sits in the House of Lords, is a British Conservative Party politician, was the minister of state at the Ministry of Defense and for nine years was the chairman of the Defense Select Committee in the House of Commons, a committee that oversees the operation of the Ministry of Defense and the armed forces. Arbuthnot, who was reprimanded while a member of Parliament for diverting public funds to maintain his two homes, is a director at SC Strategy, established by John Scarlett, the former head of the British foreign intelligence service MI6. The politician also is on the advisory board of Thales UK, a huge arms manufacturer whose corrupt business practices, which included massive bribes to heads of state in exchange for arms contracts, were exposed when some of its internal documents were published by WikiLeaks.

The judge “has a strong conflict of interest,” Melzer said from Vienna when I interviewed him by video link for my television show, “On Contact.” “Her husband had been exposed by WikiLeaks.

Assange’s lawyers have asked the judge to recuse herself. She has refused.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I apologize for being off topic .
Assange is no angel, I think we can agree, that doesn't mean he shouldn't have rights.
What he helped publish, for me, especially in regards to Chelsea Manning, deserves a Nobel prize.
It is ludicrous to think that this whole prolonged exercise was nothing more than a way for the u.s. to extradite him.
The Aussies(dutiful five eyes members) have repeatedly washed their hands of him.
Now, in my book, Manning, Assange, and Snowden should be national heroes.
I look forward to being put on a watchlist for this post.
up to you...
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Clemen wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 pm
I think we can agree, that doesn't mean he shouldn't have rights.
He isn't a US citizen so he isn't guaranteed any of our constitutional rights.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

BrazilBoy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:36 pm
Quite correct, neither should US laws be applicable to his actions outside the US.
If I have a beer outside at a bar in Cambodia should I be prosecuted in Saudi Arabia?
up to you...
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Clemen wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:42 pm
BrazilBoy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:36 pm
Quite correct, neither should US laws be applicable to his actions outside the US.
If I have a beer outside at a bar in Cambodia should I be tried in Saudi Arabia?
US laws are applicable outside the US and more to the point, they are enforceable.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

US laws are applicable to US citizens outside the US, in some cases, notably pedophilia.
Are you saying US law applies to non citizens when they are not in the US? If so, that's a novel interpretation, and frankly more than a bit dire.
US laws are not applicable to non US citizens outside US borders. However, this bs "enemy non combatant" (which has no legal standing, and is prohibited by most readings of the Constitution) may say differently as to "enforceable". The Brits and Aussies seem more than willing to grab up ankles over this.
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic