Cambodian forgetfulness /problems with short-term memory

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian forgetfulness /problems with short-term memory

Post by Kayve »

Queef wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 am Talk about money and see what happens. No problems with short-term memory. No forgetfulness
I will go even further, they don't have short memory when playing cards and remembering what kinds of cards were dealt 10 hands ago.

Moral, they just don't give a poop that's why they forget.
Don't forget the water buffalo
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by curiosity »

Wow, thanks for your answers. They were very helpful. I think it is definitely true that you do not care a lot when you are on a shitty salary anyway. Also poverty means a lot of suffering and that damages your health (and quite probably your memory skills too). Then bad health makes you apathetic. There might be some truth to the diet-argument as well. The Khmer children I know attending private schools here are definitely taller than Khmer children of similar age attending public schools. No idea whether that difference also transfers to overall brain development. Probably nobody can tell right now. And the PTSD point sounds very convincing too. Google it. one of the hallmarks of complex trauma disorders is bad memory.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

curiosity wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 pm Wow, thanks for your answers. They were very helpful. I think it is definitely true that you do not care a lot when you are on a shitty salary anyway. Also poverty means a lot of suffering and that damages your health (and quite probably your memory skills too). Then bad health makes you apathetic. There might be some truth to the diet-argument as well. The Khmer children I know attending private schools here are definitely taller than Khmer children of similar age attending public schools. No idea whether that difference also transfers to overall brain development. Probably nobody can tell right now. And the PTSD point sounds very convincing too. Google it. one of the hallmarks of complex trauma disorders is bad memory.
The primary reason is little or poor education.

Nutrition also affects the brains ability to function. Poor nutrition is another contributing factor.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:31 pm
curiosity wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 pm Wow, thanks for your answers. They were very helpful. I think it is definitely true that you do not care a lot when you are on a shitty salary anyway. Also poverty means a lot of suffering and that damages your health (and quite probably your memory skills too). Then bad health makes you apathetic. There might be some truth to the diet-argument as well. The Khmer children I know attending private schools here are definitely taller than Khmer children of similar age attending public schools. No idea whether that difference also transfers to overall brain development. Probably nobody can tell right now. And the PTSD point sounds very convincing too. Google it. one of the hallmarks of complex trauma disorders is bad memory.
The primary reason is little or poor education.

Nutrition also affects the brains ability to function. Poor nutrition is another contributing factor.

That is something we were taught / told even way back in the 60's. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. yet so many kids especially in Asia go to school without eating first but come home and eat about 11 am.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There are quite a few 'good practice' issues that have been evolved, documented and passed on to the masses in the 'west', which haven't quite made it to many parts of the developing world.

Several mentions of nutrition. To my mind, I've always been healthier in Asia than in Europe, but it's not necessarily consistently well balanced.

Sleep is a major factor that is much misunderstood and overlooked, and more so in much of the 3rd world. Going to bed earlier, quality of sleep (undisturbed, continuous, full cycles). This has been one of my major gripes dealing with locals in many parts of Asia, and even in Europe where we have a number of paradoxical ideas on the subject.
Random phone calls about trivia, and general gossip calls at any time of day or night. SWMBO is getting the message, but now she has to deal with someone (me) who is constantly changing time zones, which clearly is messing with her mind a bit.

The cumulative effects of sleep deprivation, disruption etc are often compared to dementia. Forgetfulness, loss of concentration, improper responses, mood problems.

At home, I've been fighting, and slowly winning, the battle about regular and early bedtimes for the kids. The effects on behaviour and learning ability are clear, but still there is considerable failing in understanding this in general.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Very little commitment to planning past today. I find that when plans are made, they are never committed when the next day begins. Its as if that is all loose and would need to be re-confirmed. (unless you purchased a ticket for a bus or plane or something. even then I missed a plan because she didn't take any responsibility to check any of it; its all on me)

In a way, some of it is kind of nice, because I don't feel stressed or anxious if I wish to change my mind, plans can change on a dime.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

:director:
Please note. If you have any any kids, or have any influence with any kid's dietary input;

Iodine deficiency is a still a major issue in Cambodia. :cry:
It is the leading preventable cause of intellectual and developmental disabilities in the world.
It is illegal to sell non-iodised salt in Cambodia but for a variety of reasons this is not strictly adhered to.

Check your kids salt!
Check everybody's kids salt!!
(I am a little surprised that this is not near the top of all teacher's agendas here)
:protest:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:03 pm :director:
Please note. If you have any any kids, or have any influence with any kid's dietary input;

Iodine deficiency is a still a major issue in Cambodia. :cry:
It is the leading preventable cause of intellectual and developmental disabilities in the world.
It is illegal to sell non-iodised salt in Cambodia but for a variety of reasons this is not strictly adhered to.

Check your kids salt!
Check everybody's kids salt!!
(I am a little surprised that this is not near the top of all teacher's agendas here)
:protest:
This thread might interest you.
business-and-finance/kep-kampot-salt-pr ... t9989.html
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I was watching (yet another) documentary on Netflix about Cambodia. One interesting theory is that part of it goes back to the Khmer Rouge time. It’s a learned behavior. When one could lose anything at any point without any control, there is no future - there is just now. Those educated who could think of the future were killed or escaped and became overseas Khmer. Those who survived came back changed. One Khmer even referred to the survivors as bad people - ones that had to to the unthinkable every day just to live through that time and were thus transformed.

That idea of possibly losing everything at anytime has been unconsciously and consciously passed down through the generations.

Only when exposed to foreigners with a different world view from theirs do these ideas change.

And also nutrition, environment, socioeconomic status, etc.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:04 pm I was watching (yet another) documentary on Netflix about Cambodia. One interesting theory is that part of it goes back to the Khmer Rouge time. It’s a learned behavior. When one could lose anything at any point without any control, there is no future - there is just now. Those educated who could think of the future were killed or escaped and became overseas Khmer. Those who survived came back changed. One Khmer even referred to the survivors as bad people - ones that had to to the unthinkable every day just to live through that time and were thus transformed.

That idea of possibly losing everything at anytime has been unconsciously and consciously passed down through the generations.
People keep making excuses for them.

If you go to Indonesia, Philippines, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand or Vietnam, there are some differences, but a lot of similarities with Cambodian culture. Each country has had a different history.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic