I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

newkidontheblock wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Was it an exam or a quiz?
Exam. Standards have changed. Or maybe just that particular teacher in question. 4 part exam. 2 parts on one day. Reading and listening exams will be on Wednesday.

ACE is one of the higher respected schools in Phnom Penh.

She has no desire to go to Northbridge or ISPP, unfortunately. Too far to commute and too much money to spend.

Level 9a next.
As mentioned earlier, if you're both dissatisfied with the teachers or school, you should just go elsewhere. Doesn't matter what "reputation" a school supposedly has. Find a place she likes: where she bonds with classmates and likes the teachers. Try Panasastra, Home of English, Aii, ECS/ICS (can't remember the acronym)... Point is, there are tons of schools all over. You can barely walk 500m without being exposed to one of them on a t-shirt, poster, school uniform etc. Shouldn't be hard to find a decent school not too far from home. Just a note though: I'm not a teacher, so not sure which are the "best", but I do know that ISPP and Northbridge are international schools (1-12), not English language schools.

As mentioned, my girlfriend went to ACE for three terms or so after I met her (she was already studying there prior to meeting me, so I had nothing to do with choosing it). While I remember her complaining about a teacher one term that was disorganized (always going out to get papers or make photocopies and so on), for the most part she seemed content. She also praised previous teachers she had studied with. She was a grown woman paying out of her own pocket, so I know she had fairly high expectations. I think we can a remember liking and disliking teachers at some point of our lives, so I didn't think too much of it.

Either way, if she/we'd gotten the grief you guys appear to be getting, she/we would have swapped schools in a heartbeat. I get the feeling that Gavin is right. All you've done is complained the whole time that your perfect girl hasn't gotten perfection. Just swap schools and spare us a bit. It's like saying the food is unpalatable at X restaurant, but you keep going just because it has good reviews on TripAdvisor... Or Z mechanic is horrible and causes problems to your car, but you keep going to the same one again and again. Weird.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Get her a tutor. Pm me if you'd like me to recommend some very competent ones. But be warned they are handsome young men. The female students do respond very well to that....
Mr-Retardo
BANNED

Post by Mr-Retardo »

would someone do any other job for free? seems unlikely, so why the big deal about teachers wanting to earn some cash?
aei
Tourist
Sudan

Post by aei »

a job is a job. (not a hobby)
and the guy's right - he doesn't need to like it.
He needs to be good at it.

This is why teachers always get shit salaries.
Cause the little children are so adorable and they keep working
For the joy.
Because they like it.
If you start paying teachers peanuts, 95% of them will complain but will still continue teaching.
Bitter teachers, but still working in schools.
Where did this bullcrap that you have to love your job, start anyways?
You just have to be good at what you're doing.
You think doctors should love sick people too?
Should police love rapists ?
Teachers shouldn't love teaching, they should just have the skills to manage a class, deliver instructions, asses properly and relate good with the young students.

If you're not paid well enough - seek another job
If he sucks at his job, fire him. disregarding if he likes his job or not.

This says a lot about recruitment too.
"we want a native speaker"
-there you go.
Did native english speakers study past participle and conditional types in school?
doubt it.
So you just want someone with a nice accent to speak to your students.
oh my days, most don't even know cursive writing..
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

aei wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:09 am oh my days, most don't even know cursive writing..
Is that still taught? cant remember the last time I wrote anything down that someone else would read.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

aei wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:09 am a job is a job. (not a hobby)
and the guy's right - he doesn't need to like it.
He needs to be good at it.

This is why teachers always get shit salaries.
Cause the little children are so adorable and they keep working
For the joy.
Because they like it.
If you start paying teachers peanuts, 95% of them will complain but will still continue teaching.
Bitter teachers, but still working in schools.
Where did this bullcrap that you have to love your job, start anyways?
You just have to be good at what you're doing.
You think doctors should love sick people too?
Should police love rapists ?
Teachers shouldn't love teaching, they should just have the skills to manage a class, deliver instructions, asses properly and relate good with the young students.

If you're not paid well enough - seek another job
If he sucks at his job, fire him. disregarding if he likes his job or not.

This says a lot about recruitment too.
"we want a native speaker"
-there you go.
Did native english speakers study past participle and conditional types in school?
doubt it.
So you just want someone with a nice accent to speak to your students.
oh my days, most don't even know cursive writing..
Spoken by a guy who clearly doesn’t understand teaching at all. Teaching is about understanding that each child is different. They may have abilities that do not align with traditional teaching methods and can not be assessed by traditional means. Inspiring people to learn is just as important as actually teaching. As an example (for young children) .. colouring.... the ability to colour a picture well and stay within the lines uses the same hand-eye co-ordination skills as writing. Now, some kids get bored quickly just practising their writing but will happily colour as many pictures as you throw at them. It’s all about choosing the right method to use for each child. Basic psychology plays a part as well in understanding how children think and behave but once you tap into that part of a child that sparks an interest you are setting them up “want” to learn.

As for loving your job.... the old saying “if you love your job you’ll never work a day in your life” holds true no matter what you decide to do.keeping staff happy is also a part of this and making sure your staff know you appreciate their work and you thank them individually for helping out when called on goes a long way to accomplishing this. But to just say “you don’t have to like it, just be good at it” is a pretty ignorant thing to say.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:57 am Finally missus got to the ACE level that she gets a native English speaker. First class was last week. A bit of tell us about yourself session.

The teacher starts off by telling the class that he doesn’t like teaching English. He is only doing it part time to get paid. His real job is some on-line company, and has a few people working for him. He then asked students to submit one question for him to answer. Most of his answers were - personal question, I don’t answer personal questions.

Primary teaching method was sitting down and having students watch YouTube? videos. Quite a few students were nodding off during this high level instruction.

I thought getting a native speaker is the pinnacle of ACE education. Maybe I was mistaken.
Teaching English is basically a white monkey job. I am not there to teach. I am just there because parents want to see their children in front of a white person. It is like this everywhere. In Brazil, there are plenty of Brazilians who could teach English but all Brazilians want to see that white people because they think that I can teach them English better than Brazilians can. If you are teaching get the idea that you are a teacher out of your head. You are simply an actor who is being paid to look like they are teaching. If there is any solace keep in mind that you get paid 6x what the native teacher does and you do 70% less work then they do. In China, I basically get paid 3000USD to present lessons that my co-teachers could be presenting. Many times they will present it for me and I am simply standing in front of the class singing and dancing. I have no problem acting like a teacher while being able to hang around hot Chinese women all day.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:14 amTeaching English is basically a white monkey job. I am not there to teach. I am just there because parents want to see their children in front of a white person. It is like this everywhere. In Brazil, there are plenty of Brazilians who could teach English but all Brazilians want to see that white people because they think that I can teach them English better than Brazilians can. If you are teaching get the idea that you are a teacher out of your head. You are simply an actor who is being paid to look like they are teaching. If there is any solace keep in mind that you get paid 6x what the native teacher does and you do 70% less work then they do. In China, I basically get paid 3000USD to present lessons that my co-teachers could be presenting. Many times they will present it for me and I am simply standing in front of the class singing and dancing. I have no problem acting like a teacher while being able to hang around hot Chinese women all day.
Wow. What a shithead you are. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that I've heard that in China specifically, you are indeed supposed to just be there for pronunciation, etc. I've never taught in China, so I can't comment. But China is different than other places.

Teaching here in Cambodia(and most places in the world to my understanding), I'm the only one in the classroom, I plan the lessons, and I teach people how to speak English. That's on me. And I do have a job just because I'm white, and I do get paid more because of that. I've also worked with some very smart, well educated Khmer teachers who are more qualified than me. I also take that responsibility more seriously because of it. I still speak English better than them, understand the differences of why my English is better, and have better pronunciation than even the very good local speakers. Those are the benefits of a native speaking teacher. I teach them the grammar, vocabulary, work with them on proper pronunciation, try to make lessons interesting so that people actually learn rather than zone out or fall asleep, etc. If you go teach outside of China where you're expected to actually teach, not just be a monkey to repeat things, Please try to actually teach, not just take poor people's hard earned money. Most of them are hard working parents who are sending their children to learn English in order to hopefully have better future opportunities.
And just to clarify, it is just your personal attitude. I've known people who have taught all over the world. Some of them were shitty teachers. Some of them were great teachers. The shitty ones have the same attitude you do about teaching in Cambodia, and their students pay the price. They don't plan lessons, they don't put in the effort to engage students, etc. Their students don't learn. One of the good teachers I met has taught in China and told a different story than you, though as I said, I have heard that many schools in China just want you there for pronunciation. In any case, it is what you make it.
/rant
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Electric Earth wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 pm
michael.stewart1 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:14 amTeaching English is basically a white monkey job. I am not there to teach. I am just there because parents want to see their children in front of a white person. It is like this everywhere. In Brazil, there are plenty of Brazilians who could teach English but all Brazilians want to see that white people because they think that I can teach them English better than Brazilians can. If you are teaching get the idea that you are a teacher out of your head. You are simply an actor who is being paid to look like they are teaching. If there is any solace keep in mind that you get paid 6x what the native teacher does and you do 70% less work then they do. In China, I basically get paid 3000USD to present lessons that my co-teachers could be presenting. Many times they will present it for me and I am simply standing in front of the class singing and dancing. I have no problem acting like a teacher while being able to hang around hot Chinese women all day.
Wow. What a shithead you are. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that I have heard that in China specifically, you are indeed supposed to just be there for pronunciation, etc. I've never taught in China, so I can't comment. But China is different than other places.

Teaching here in Cambodia(and most places in the world to my understanding), I'm the only one in the classroom, I plan the lessons, and I teach people how to speak English. That's on me. And I do have a job just because I'm white, and I do get paid more because of that. I've also worked with some very smart, well educated Khmer teachers who are more qualified than me. I also take that responsibility more seriously because of it. I still speak English better than them, understand the differences of why my English is better, and have better pronunciation than even the very good local speakers. Those are the benefits of a native speaking teacher. I teach them the grammar, vocabulary, work with them on proper pronunciation, try to make lessons interesting so that people actually learn rather than zone out or fall asleep, etc. If you go teach outside of China where you're expected to actually teach, not just be a monkey to repeat things, Please try to actually teach, not just take poor people's hard earned money. Most of them are hard working parents who are sending their children to learn English in order to hopefully have better future opportunities.
And just to clarify, it is just your personal attitude. I've known people who have taught all over the world. Some of them were shitty teachers. Some of them were great teachers. The shitty ones have the same attitude you do about teaching in Cambodia, and their students pay the price. They don't plan lessons, they don't put in the effort to engage students, etc. Their students don't learn. One of the good teachers I met has taught in China and told a different story than you, though as I said, I have heard that many schools in China just want you there for pronunciation. In any case, it is what you make it.
/rant
unsure if this will come off silly but i also enjoy learning about the kids and ur right.. each kid is different but of course similarities as well.. The kids are what make the job enjoyable to me.. its the admin that usually sucks the soul out of you. I take pleasure in the small victories. sometimes u think a kid dont get it or whatever and they will surprise you. You get a note or call from a parent how appreciative they are.. of course there is the flip side to all this. Also you learn from the kids. Its a 2 way street. For me, when you can connect to a kid, make his day better or make him smile. that can be an accomplishment in itself. Regarding the OP view on teaching. that is ok and its what he feels. if someone is passionate about finance i might feel the same way he feels if i were to work in a bank. Teaching can just be a way to keep yourself afloat while in a 3rd world country or whatever. If you enjoy it and have little victories, its even better. depends on each persons disposition.

also OP is correct about skin color and schools want the white face and all that goes with that. He has a point in that respect
Last edited by BklynBoy on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

cautious colin wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:18 am
aei wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:09 am oh my days, most don't even know cursive writing..
Is that still taught? cant remember the last time I wrote anything down that someone else would read.
I spent the last four or five years of primary school perfecting cursive writing and all manner of grammar rules.

First English class of secondary school we were told to never write in cursive, heh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic