Swiss Man Detained for Switching Fake $100 at Phnom Penh ATM

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Swiss Man Detained for Switching Fake $100 at Phnom Penh ATM

Post by explorer »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 am On the surface I agree with you. Finding solutions are good, but we also need to be careful. Responding with more laws in knee jerk reactions to everything that goes wrong is also how we have ended up with too many laws and regulations and big government.
Do you think the road rules / driving / deaths and injuries in Cambodia is OK?

Do you think people getting scammed with fake money is OK?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 am On the surface I agree with you. Finding solutions are good, but we also need to be careful. Responding with more laws in knee jerk reactions to everything that goes wrong is also how we have ended up with too many laws and regulations and big government.
Do you think the road rules / driving / deaths and injuries in Cambodia is OK?

Do you think people getting scammed with fake money is OK?
Rhetorical Questions? No and No.

Do you think more laws would have prevented either of these incidents you cite?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:37 am Do you think more laws would have prevented either of these incidents you cite?
Sensible laws, sensibly enforced, with appropriate education, is needed to reduce road deaths and injuries. There are a ridiculous amount of road deaths and injuries.

If fake money was banned, or if it had to be noticeably different from the genuine so it could not be used in scams, fake money scams would be stopped. I think, funeral money in the past was noticeably smaller than real money, so it was obvious to everyone it was not real.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

When I first went to Cambodia, one thought that came to mind was how easy it would be for someone to throw some counterfeit in to the mix, albeit most shopkeepers, vendors etc... are pretty sharp to spot dodgy dolleros.

The new color schemes of the notes were meant to greatly reduce the use of counterfeit.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:21 pm
In this case, there are foreigners who think they can exploit this play money, but the locals are used to it, so it doesn't work. I don't see why local people should change their habits just because some foreigners are greedy and stupid.
It's the locals who produced this evil counterfeit money who are to blame. You don't understand. If you tried to understand a bit more you would know. Some people know, others don't know. It's always the locals who are to blame, and I have learned this from my long gap-year in Kampong Bumfuck talking to local bumpkins. If you try to be more like me you will realize how everything works. :?
Oh that's ok then. I will try. :thumb:
But sometimes when I talk to them we get blind drunk on rice wine and then I forget about how evil they are. Until the next morning. Lol. Then I know it was all a plot.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 pm
I missed one.

topic28098.html
The scam Duncan is referring to here is a well-known scam usually run by nationals of a neighboring country. It does not involve fake money or Cambodians. I'll give you a clue: It may or may not feature your sunglasses/ hat/T-shirt, hospitals or schools in your home country, and somebody's sister.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:12 pm @explorer. Not sure if this is deliberate, or if you have not read the OP, but you have turned the subject right around.The topic of the thread is a foreigner who is deliberately trying to scam a Cambodian bank. You are making it about poor barang victims, when that is not at all the topic. The Swiss man is a thief and the bank is the victim. Get it ?
A lot of people are blame orientated. For example, this person did a bad thing, let him or her have a harsh punishment.

Smart people are solution orientated. That is, what can we do to minimize the likelihood of something similar happening in the future.

A girl killed another girl in a road accident. People are saying she should go to jail. People are not saying, we should introduce better driving training, or we should stop drink driving, or we should ensure all vehicles have lights so they can be seen at night. These measures would result in a genuine improvement in road safety.

Yes, this particular man was a thief. People are not saying we should make it illegal to produce or distribute fake notes. This would genuinely address this issue. I have discussed other situations, because this is not just a one of. Other people have been scammed with fake money.

This website is malfunctioning for me at the present time. If anything strange comes up, it may be the website malfunction.

###### ###### ###### ######
The solutions you mention, while obviously not intended to be all- inclusive, aren't really solutions until financial and feasibility studies are done to ensure there are means to effective curb whatever practice is causing problems.

Then you also need to figure out how to change decades, maybe centuries, of Khmer culture when Khmer power mongers or their relatives are the ones making the problems, like the banks who most surely know how the fake notes are getting into the ATM machines. But they continue to get along with it, and will then ace other people over to make up for whatever losses they have incurred. This problem is a direct result of the 'saving face' culture. They fully exploit their power. I don't see that being changed anytime soon.

All in all, I think this country is as fucked as any other could be, and I'm not sure anyone (of Khmer power status) REALLY wants to do anything about it.
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:37 am Do you think more laws would have prevented either of these incidents you cite?
Sensible laws, sensibly enforced, with appropriate education, is needed to reduce road deaths and injuries. There are a ridiculous amount of road deaths and injuries.

If fake money was banned, or if it had to be noticeably different from the genuine so it could not be used in scams, fake money scams would be stopped. I think, funeral money in the past was noticeably smaller than real money, so it was obvious to everyone it was not real.
For someone who claims to be an "expert" you really don't how Cambodia works do you? All these laws regulations you suggest cuts of too many feeding hands pure and simple.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

personally, i dont believe any atm's dispense any fake notes.
it just makes no sense and would go against any bank policy.

as for scams, they operate all over the world an more so where tourists tend to visit.

I also dont believe ANYONE has ever been taken in by the Chinese burn money as real money
Burning of Chinese Paper Money, also known as Ghost Money, is an ancient tradition that goes back thousands of years and one that is held to this day when honoring the ancestors.

Be wise, dont trust anyone you dont know, dont give to beggars, dont drop ur guard just cause ur in a foreign country.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:46 am personally, i dont believe any atm's dispense any fake notes.
it just makes no sense and would go against any bank policy.
Me either as long as you stick to the big bank atms ABA, ANZ etc you'll be fine i have withdrawn money from atms here many times in the last few years never had 1 issue. Banks are not going to risk they reputation to screw customers for a hundred bucks.

Reckon people who claim they have gotten ghost money are just desperate foreigners almost running out of money and kick up a big fuss. Oh it's a foreigner it must be true. Never heard any locals kick up a fuss have we?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic