New House Collapses on House-Warming Party: 1 Dead

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: New House Collapses on House-Warming Party: 1 Dead

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

“Bros built his own house as he is a house builder"

Oh dear.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Here is another house being built the same way.

If they had a continuous concrete slab, or a continuous wooden floor it would be much stronger. It is a weak design to have a wooden floor, and a cantilevered concrete balcony.

I told the people the balcony on a similar house collapsed, killing people. I was told this one will not collapse. Cambodians always argue that they are right.

It may not collapse if they never have a lot of people on it at the same time. But it is an accident waiting to happen if they ever do have a lot of people on it at the same time.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

Am I misunderstood something?
your link for other information.
"At least 10 people were killed and 30 others injured in a mudslide in Kompong Cham province
(April 06, 2019 at 1:37 pm)

Kampong Cham: As of 11:30 am, 6 April 2019, 10 people were killed and 10 injured in Khnar Village, Sleng Chey commune, Cheung Prey district, Kampong Cham province.

Most of the victims were elderly, one died at the upper village and the other died at Prasat village, Sleng Chey commune, Cheung Prey district, Kampong Cham province, while the other is unknown. The new owner of the house has invited many guests to come for you to the house. The owner of the home, his wife and his wife, Youre, was not injured. In conclusion, the first step of competence is due to team error."
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

pczz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:42 am its litterally been glued on the end,from the looks of it
What is incomprehensible here? there were a few bags of cement, do not throw it away ..... so they made a balcony.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

SINUS wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:40 pm What is incomprehensible here? there were a few bags of cement, do not throw it away ..... so they made a balcony.
They probably wanted concrete outside where it will be exposed to the rain, and timber or bamboo inside.

This can be done successfully. They just need to increase the size of the columns and beams.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's possible that they will put up a couple more columns up in those gaps in that slab.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

explorer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:02 pm
SINUS wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:40 pm What is incomprehensible here? there were a few bags of cement, do not throw it away ..... so they made a balcony.
They probably wanted concrete outside where it will be exposed to the rain, and timber or bamboo inside.

This can be done successfully. They just need to increase the size of the columns and beams.
Would you advise footings as well? I saw a YouTube video an am now concerned that I should have installed footings before making the pillars on my house. I think it leans a little to the west. Maybe 5 to 10 degrees, not a lot but enough that it difficult for my pictures to hang straight.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Isaanbarang wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:20 pm Would you advise footings as well? I saw a YouTube video an am now concerned that I should have installed footings before making the pillars on my house. I think it leans a little to the west. Maybe 5 to 10 degrees, not a lot but enough that it difficult for my pictures to hang straight.
The house in the picture probably has footings. All houses should have footings. If yours does not have footings, it may slowly sink into the ground, particularly when the ground gets wet.

I would also put bracing on the columns, similar to this.

You need one each side and one each end. If the space between columns is filled in with brickwork, that is as good as bracing.

If your house is leaning, it may be possible to correct it, depending on what you have done. If you dont do anything, it may get worse, again depending on what you have done.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 pm It's possible that they will put up a couple more columns up in those gaps in that slab.
They dont believe it will break.

You could put columns under the top slab.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic