New House Collapses on House-Warming Party: 1 Dead

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: New House Collapses on House-Warming Party: 1 Dead

Post by Albror »

I dont get why you build a light wood house and then put a heavy as fuck balcony on the far end of it.

But what do you expect when most Asian contractors seemingly cant even figure out what way water flows.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Looks like the great big concrete slab was the floor of the balcony,just hung off the wooden house.........
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

andy1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:32 pm Looks like the great big concrete slab was the floor of the balcony,just hung off the wooden house.........
To me it looks like there were the common concrete columns that were used to raise the whole house, with the wooden structure on top. However the balcony seems to have been a huge slab that was attached to the columns but protruded without any extra support. So the huge weight put a strain on the concrete columns and cross pieces and caused them to fail.
But what do you expect when most Asian contractors...
Who even mentioned contractors? This was a guy who built his own house, as many do.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:12 am
Who even mentioned contractors? This was a guy who built his own house, as many do.
Most people use contractors. Most people dont have the skills or equipment to do it themselves. Construction normally requires a team. It is difficult for one person to build a house alone. Working with unskilled people is a waste of time.

Most people who build their own houses, are people who work in construction.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:50 pm I wonder why they chose to have concrete on that bit, if it had been wood like the rest of the floor it likely would not have collapsed. RIP Yiay.
Strangest thing isn't it. Normal house has a wooden deck/porch attached to it. If the rest of the house has a wooden floor, why pour a concrete patio so high up? Sad Sad, and the engineering maxim, 'if in doubt overkill' could sure have helped beef up the structural requirements here.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:25 am
cptrelentless wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:50 pm I wonder why they chose to have concrete on that bit, if it had been wood like the rest of the floor it likely would not have collapsed. RIP Yiay.
Strangest thing isn't it. Normal house has a wooden deck/porch attached to it. If the rest of the house has a wooden floor, why pour a concrete patio so high up? Sad Sad, and the engineering maxim, 'if in doubt overkill' could sure have helped beef up the structural requirements here.
Seen cantilevered balconies before but no usually this width. support are too small and do not go into or under the balcony as they should. its litterally been glued on the end,from the looks of it
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Is there a building code in Cambodia? If yes, is there such a thing as code enforcement here?

I'm not too worried about one dude adding a huge concrete slab to a flimsy wooden house. What truly worries me is the 10+ story buildings that keep popping up everywhere. How do we know for sure they're safe and won't collapse after 10 years?
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

Those concrete columns and beams are far too skinny, with very thin rebar at the joints and no lateral support to resist side loads and torque whatsoever. Very poorly thought out and constructed.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Do locals hire architects and structure engineers when building a house? I thought it was more along the lines of contacting Souk the local builder man, telling him what you wanted, then he’d bring his team over and start building. I doubt builder man went to architecture or engineering school and learned about load bearing and different materials before starting out.

At least that’s what happened with the bunker.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:07 am
John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:12 am
Most people use contractors. Most people dont have the skills or equipment to do it themselves. Construction normally requires a team. It is difficult for one person to build a house alone. Working with unskilled people is a waste of time.

Most people who build their own houses, are people who work in construction.
Sure, he obviously employed a highly-skilled prestigious contracting company to build that slab.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic