I want to bring my Jeep Wrangler to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

I want to bring my Jeep Wrangler to Cambodia

Post by Mr.November »

Hi guys! A bit unusual question, how much I am looking at paying in duties and taxes to bring my 2010, 3.7L Jeep Wrangler to Cambodia and register it here? I cannot sell it in my country and I am willing. To pay for shipping and taxes but I have no idea what would the total be - the car is not in perfect condition and needs fixes hence selling back in the origin country is impossible. Anyone imported a vehicle here? How much did it cost total?
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Re: I want to bring my Jeep Wrangler to Cambodia

Post by oopsfermi »

I have no idea but if somebody else does, can you frame your answer to include whether it's the same deal for an RV like a truck camper or such? Thx
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

I imported my 09' Toyota Prius and import duties and shipping together were around $11,000. It was not worth it except I knew the car was in excellent condition and I was going to keep it long term (still have it). For a 3.7 it's a LOT more though. I would venture to say you'd pay at least $15,000 in import duties for a not including shipping. There is a tax chart floating around that I can't find, but it's going to be expensive.

Not only that, Jeeps are almost non-existent here and will be difficult to service and repair.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Mr.November wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:10 pm Hi guys! A bit unusual question, how much I am looking at paying in duties and taxes to bring my 2010, 3.7L Jeep Wrangler to Cambodia and register it here? I cannot sell it in my country and I am willing. To pay for shipping and taxes but I have no idea what would the total be - the car is not in perfect condition and needs fixes hence selling back in the origin country is impossible. Anyone imported a vehicle here? How much did it cost total?
I have seen similar discussions here before. Some NGO's have some tax exempt status, plus money to burn and do it. But otherwise, it seems a recipe for migraines and will cost a lot.

The automobile market is somehow highly controlled and that is why it seems the vehicles are triple the cost of those in the west. If it was easy to bring a vehicle here and save money, it would be done quickly by everyone and you would actually see the invisible hand of a free market economy equalize the values, but it is not happening.

There are obviously very powerful people making millions on doing this, and they also have the ability to make sure no one else can.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Typically it'll cost you about 50% of the current value of the car for import tax and VAT, car value based on Cambodian tables (cars keep a high value for a relatively long time).

Unless you will die without this specific car in your vicinity it's probably not worth it.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Wondering if you shipped wrecked vehicles and paid duty on scrap value, then fixed them here. Would that work?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:34 am Wondering if you shipped wrecked vehicles and paid duty on scrap value, then fixed them here. Would that work?
I'm surprised you even asked that question because you already seem to know the answer, I don't believe that every car here is a cut and shut
but a whole lot of them are too. The neighborhood I work in specializes in making damaged vehicles look good. I've seen battered up looking
Bentleys going in there with five different colored patched-up panels, a few hours later it comes out looking well smooth. I saw them building up
a piece of shit wreck one day, then cut out some plastic sheet and stick"HUMMRE" in 50 cm high retarded lettering in the side.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

My bro-in-law who is a mechanic said some 'brown' guys showed up and bought some junkers. He asked them what they were gonna do with them and was told they fill containers full of them and ship them to 3rd world (I think in this case India) and they can fix them for pennies on the dollar compared to here.

Its called polishing a turd.

I cannot believe how good some 10-15 year old cars can look after sitting baking in the hot SEA sun.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

RickyBobby wrote:I cannot believe how good some 10-15 year old cars can look after sitting baking in the hot SEA sun.
Good looking is relatively easy to do with polish and someone else’s elbow grease, And a body paint job.

Mechanically reliable and safe?

Car is already starting its second life in Cambodia as a junker, so it’s safe to say that the crumples zones, air bags, ABS, stability control, might not reliably work when needed.
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:34 am Wondering if you shipped wrecked vehicles and paid duty on scrap value, then fixed them here. Would that work?
Tax is paid on the VIN, so there is no circumventing the import tax there. The only thing you save on is the initial purchase price of the car, which is sometimes the least expensive part of the car. The people in charge of tax also tend to give tax breaks to their importer friends, so outside business people trying to start up will always get greased and shutdown. It's air tight and there is no way in.

The aforementioned Prius I brought over totaled $28,000 when at the time the same car here could be bought for $16,000, although I was hit with some extra "port fees" and "officials customs" when the car got here, otherwise it would have been closer to $20 or $21k. Only difference was that my car had a 82,000 miles vs. the 300,000+ most of junkers here have, plus being wrecks and pieced together is who knows what terrible fashion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic