I want to bring my Jeep Wrangler to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I want to bring my Jeep Wrangler to Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Mr.November wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:10 pm Hi guys! A bit unusual question, how much I am looking at paying in duties and taxes to bring my 2010, 3.7L Jeep Wrangler to Cambodia and register it here? I cannot sell it in my country and I am willing. To pay for shipping and taxes but I have no idea what would the total be - the car is not in perfect condition and needs fixes hence selling back in the origin country is impossible. Anyone imported a vehicle here? How much did it cost total?
Custom tax for your car is almost 40k$. I don't think it's worth it ...
Don't forget the water buffalo
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

From memory you pay extra if you import it yourself, ostensibly because it causes more headaches for the authorities dealing with an amateur. it may be more viable if you get one of the recognised importer families to do it for you, and they can add it to their shipment. Most of the incoming are from USA, so for a fee you may be able to stick your jeep in one of their containiers. Europe and other countries have more concern for the thrid world and generally require all writeoffs to eb crushed, not sent abroad for cut and shut
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

The people in Cambodia who control this market have you by the balls. Once the car gets here, they can grease you for as much as they want. If you don't like the exorbitant import and duty tax fees, presumably you'd be faced with shipping it back to your home country or selling it to the people who control the basket for pennies on the dollar.

Seems like either way you lose big time.
Mike_B
Tourist
Austria

Post by Mike_B »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:17 pm Typically it'll cost you about 50% of the current value of the car for import tax and VAT, car value based on Cambodian tables (cars keep a high value for a relatively long time).

Unless you will die without this specific car in your vicinity it's probably not worth it.
At least you know it's your car. The import duty and taxes amount to approx. 127% of the car's import value, which they take from some table and might be less than you paid for it, depending on make and year. The Customs No. for cars is 8703.23.21-24 last two digits depend on engine displacement. Most cars now incur the 35/60/10 tax regime, i.e. 35% customs duty, 60% special tax and then 10% VAT. Customs processing is charged by agents at about $ 1,000 per car. Not sure if they can lower the tax somehow, go talk with them, there are always ways...
I hear (maybe connected, powerful people?) import cars with a salvage title as scrap tax-free, and fix them in local shops, then sell them as 'great foreign car, just off the boat!" :) Hope this helps. Tax tables can be found at http://www.customs.gov.kh/publication-a ... odia-2017/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic