Food question #2 - anyone else remember this dish?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: Food question #2 - anyone else remember this dish?

Post by markd »

. :stir:

thru shit to more shit
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

savory as opposed to sweet...
in USA ...a cookie is sweet and crackers are typically savory...salty..with other non-sweet ingredients...
biscuits in UK are not biscuits in USA...

that is one nasty dish...
I was canoing in southern missouri in the late 70s and was grilling steaks and making a nice rice dish and salad when some lads came up and asked me for a can opener...they had canned beans and no opener.
my pop taught me to canoe in style in the late 60s.
we used to pull over at lunch time on the river and start a fire a grill hotdogs...that was about as rough as it got..
I spent a lot of time in the country fishing and camping and never let that interfere with the quality of chow..
my fondest memory was catching silver salmon with my son and grilling them riverside on the Knai..

put some effort into it...
I guess I was lucky to grow up around great cooks..
and I went to Culinary School and worked all over the USA for 25 years...and travelled and learned from Mexicans, Jamaicans, Argentines, Africans, Thais and Now Khmer cooks....and a host of books and great old tv programs like Julia Child and Jacque Pepin.

nothing wrong with a bacon and egg sandwich though...
I did get tired of the $8 mayo and started making mayo over here....easy...much better and sure saves money...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

j57 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:43 am nothing wrong with a bacon and egg sandwich though...
Which coincidentally is exactly what I'm eating tonight, along with seasoned oven-fried (yeah, baked, but fried) potato slices.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

j57 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:43 am savory as opposed to sweet...
in USA ...a cookie is sweet and crackers are typically savory...salty..with other non-sweet ingredients...
Crackers in the UK are also salty, and are often eaten with butter/ cheese. They are sometimes called "'water biscuits"

biscuits in UK are not biscuits in USA...
In the UK what Americans call biscuits are called "scones", and biscuits means "cookies".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 pm
j57 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:43 am nothing wrong with a bacon and egg sandwich though...
Which coincidentally is exactly what I'm eating tonight, along with seasoned oven-fried (yeah, baked, but fried) potato slices.
Bacon and egg burgers and chips. Hard to get a decent Bacon and egg burger here. Sometimes you gotta make your own.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Paulo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:44 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 pm
Bacon and egg burgers and chips. Hard to get a decent Bacon and egg burger here. Sometimes you gotta make your own.
The lighting is a bit crap, but you get the idea...

This is an unusually large meal for me, comfort feeding at the trough.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:48 pm The lighting is a bit crap, but you get the idea...

This is an unusually large meal for me, comfort feeding at the trough.
Damn Strop, that's a lot of carbs:

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm Damn Strop, that's a lot of carbs:

You're not wrong.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I am pretty sure I have eaten that and equally sure it came froma tin. I think it was corned beef. There was a meatball version and chiplolatas but they were chicken
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic