Food question #1 - for Americans

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Food question #1 - for Americans

Post by StroppyChops »

Question for the American food connoisseurs - what exactly is "pork and beans"?

Follow-up question - is it good?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Food question #1 - for Americans

Post by davegorman »

Don’t you have any friends?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

start with Heinz beans
add in some BBQ sauce, honey, salt and pepper
cut up some, ( 2) hotdogs
an throw them in the pot and and let simmer

sometimes will also add in a small spoon of sweet pickle relish

I think so....great on a cold ski day along with whole wheat bread an butter.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:45 pm start with Heinz beans
add in some BBQ sauce, honey, salt and pepper
cut up some, ( 2) hotdogs
an throw them in the pot and and let simmer

I think so....great on a cold day
Yup, I'd eat that. I'd use real sausages though. Cheers.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Nice with bacon cut into 1 inch long pieces mixed in and forgo the weiners, a little bar bq sauce gives it a touch of zing. If you are looking for a recipe Boston Baked Beans would a good search query
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

American baked beans are like Hershey chocolate.....inedible.

One of the main demands from our neighbours in VA was for Heinz baked beans and Cadbury's chocolate.

Much as I liked a country breakfast, friends and neighbours always wanted us to cook them a full English (with Heinz baked beans).

American chocolate tastes so funny because of the use of less than fresh milk. The process results in butyric acid being created which is the reason for the sickly vomit taste.

And in fairness, there is nothing like the hickory smoked baby back ribs sold at the Cork Street Tavern in Winchester.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

TOG wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:04 pm American baked beans are like Hershey chocolate.....inedible.

One of the main demands from our neighbours in VA was for Heinz baked beans and Cadbury's chocolate.

Much as I liked a country breakfast, friends and neighbours always wanted us to cook them a full English (with Heinz baked beans).

American chocolate tastes so funny because of the use of less than fresh milk. The process results in butyric acid being created which is the reason for the sickly vomit taste.

And in fairness, there is nothing like the hickory smoked baby back ribs sold at the Cork Street Tavern in Winchester.
I agree, I've never understood the interest in Hershey products, although Mrs Stroppy likes them. A good mate appears unannounced at least once a year from Australia with a carton of Cadbury's chocolates, and flavour bases for the slow cookers. Cadbury's in Australia is different to other countries because of the climate, much harder and a much higher melting point. Our Khmer crew don't like it, too sweet. What a shame. Cadbury's tried to change their blend a few years back to increase the palm oil content and reduce the cocoa butter content - Australians pushed back and stopped buying, until Cadbury's got the message. I think they've slowly changed the ratios over time since then anyway. They also reduced the bar sizes while prices went up - always a good marketing strategy.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Pork and beans are good camping food. Throw the can in or near the fire and heat and eat. Its good for college kids, along with Kraft dinner and hot-dogs.

There's nothing wrong with it, and the quality depends on the brand. Its basically just a few pieces of fatty bacon in a can of cooked beans. Some has maple syrup, and is a bit sweet. It does taste good enough, but north Americans would be shocked (confused) to see it on their breakfast plate but its basically the same as those on a British brekkie plate.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:09 pm I agree, I've never understood the interest in Hershey products, although Mrs Stroppy likes them. A good mate appears unannounced at least once a year from Australia with a carton of Cadbury's chocolates, and flavour bases for the slow cookers. Cadbury's in Australia is different to other countries because of the climate, much harder and a much higher melting point. Our Khmer crew don't like it, too sweet. What a shame. Cadbury's tried to change their blend a few years back to increase the palm oil content and reduce the cocoa butter content - Australians pushed back and stopped buying, until Cadbury's got the message. I think they've slowly changed the ratios over time since then anyway. They also reduced the bar sizes while prices went up - always a good marketing strategy.
Hershey are determined to stamp out competition and force people to only eat their idea of what chocolate should be.

https://qz.com/334333/how-cadbury-lost- ... in-the-us/

Kraft tried so hard in the UK to change the recipe of the Cadbury's Easter Egg and it turned out to be a marketing disaster. They tried to replace the finger of fudge in the Xmas package with Oreos and that flopped as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/new ... ecipe.html
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/fo ... -milk-oreo

I know it's all about economies of scale etc. but when will Hershey and Kraft learn that while they may be able to force Americans to eat vomit flavoured chocolate, not everyone else likes it?
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Wait what?

Hersheys Pork and beans? Dafuq just happened here?

For the record, Lindt is my go to for milk chocolate.

Now damn you Stroppy. I was at the grocery store and had to go look at the canned beans section, just for you. I was gonna take a photo but there is just too many varieties and brands; even English Beans. Lawd have Mercy.

But really, how hard can it be? Its Pork and Beans, capish?

"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic