Food question #1 - for Americans

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Food question #1 - for Americans

Post by TOG »

pczz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:48 am I should not be suprised at a brexiteer getting his facts wrong and claiming something as british when it isnt :-)
"Heinz Beanz were launched in 1901 as "Heinz Baked Beans" and were produced in the United States until 1928. In 1901, Heinz Baked Beans were first sold at the Fortnum & Mason department store in London.[1] After opening its first overseas office in London in 1896, the company opened its first UK factory in Peckham, " Straight from wikipedia. :stir:
My own personal Troll who cannot read or understand a post.

Nowhere have I stated that Heinz baked beans are British...Please be my guest and show me where I have claimed that Heinz baked beans are British.

You should get a job writing fake news.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:45 pm start with Heinz beans
add in some BBQ sauce, honey, salt and pepper
cut up some, ( 2) hotdogs
an throw them in the pot and and let simmer

sometimes will also add in a small spoon of sweet pickle relish

I think so....great on a cold ski day along with whole wheat bread an butter.
these were the dogs when we was a kid!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

TOG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:13 am
pczz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:48 am I should not be suprised at a brexiteer getting his facts wrong and claiming something as british when it isnt :-)
"Heinz Beanz were launched in 1901 as "Heinz Baked Beans" and were produced in the United States until 1928. In 1901, Heinz Baked Beans were first sold at the Fortnum & Mason department store in London.[1] After opening its first overseas office in London in 1896, the company opened its first UK factory in Peckham, " Straight from wikipedia. :stir:
My own personal Troll who cannot read or understand a post.

Nowhere have I stated that Heinz baked beans are British...Please be my guest and show me where I have claimed that Heinz baked beans are British.

You should get a job writing fake news.
American baked beans are like Hershey chocolate.....inedible.

One of the main demands from our neighbours in VA was for Heinz baked beans and Cadbury's chocolate.

Much as I liked a country breakfast, friends and neighbours always wanted us to cook them a full English (with Heinz baked beans).

please explain why american beans are like hershey so your firends asked for "heinz beans" (american>) and Cadbuty's?
and "a full English (with Heinz baked beans)."
methinks the tog is wriggling like maybottrying to explain away explaining her chats with karl marx :stir:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

TOG wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:53 pm
Give the guy a break, he is an Antipodean.

If you can't cook it on a Barbie, it's not worth eating.
What? You can't cook beans on a barbie? Not trying nearly hard enough.
As a kid, after many an oil drum was sacrificed in order to have family barbecues on the beach in the evening, Dad and I went about making a decent built in barbecue at home. It ended up being built from angle iron, and sheet steel (raw materials available in the engineering department) and used some heavy cast fire grates. But the piece de resistance was the flat plate on which were cooked baked beans and fried eggs.
If we weren't barbecuing on the beach, we were doing it at home. Barbecue almost anything at night, let it cool down a bit, then stoke up in the morning and cook a decent breakfast in the morning.

Sadly, this didn't rub off on my brother whose culinary skills may match Stroppy's. my brother once microwaved bacon for a sandwich and still ended up eating raw bacon. After having previously burned beans in the same microwave :facepalm:
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

pczz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:41 am please explain why american beans are like hershey so your firends asked for "heinz beans" (american>) and Cadbuty's?
and "a full English (with Heinz baked beans)."
methinks the tog is wriggling like maybottrying to explain away explaining her chats with karl marx :stir:
The nicest thing I can think about you is that English is not your first language and you have trouble understanding it.

I have never seen any member on any forum try and twist and spin like you.

Still, as trolling seems to be your main occupation you have to try something.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:59 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:20 am Pork and beans is cowboy/ frontier kind of food. It should be a bit spicy and have big chunks of meat and fat, and lima beans. Not from a can. that's just pure ignorant.
Haricot beans are baked beans, and they are from the Americas. Same with pinto beans. So they are as American as tacos and tequila.
You're right, I don't know why I wrote lima beans, it should be haricots or cannelli beans. It's still a dish that tastes a whole lot better made fresh than canned.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:14 am these were the dogs when we was a kid!
Now see, is it unreasonable to expect a canned product to contain what's advertised on the label? I don't think so...
Spoiler:
I'll leave this here for those having fun with the idea of me not being able to cook - original members may barely remember me referencing my first career was a qualified chef, in a Swedish restaurant in Perth (so, Black Forest Gateaux, honey-cured hams, you get the idea), and later a half-owner in a vegetarian food outlet in a food court. I know, right? Who'd a thunk it?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The reality:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »