Getting to Silk Island

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Simon_Miles
Tourist
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:09 am
Reputation: 10

Getting to Silk Island

Post by Simon_Miles » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to go to Silk Island tomorrow.

Am I right in thinking that I can just get a ferry over there on foot, and no tuk-tuk, and just walk about myself?

Everywhere I look online says you want to get a tuk-tuk over there for the day, but I just want to jumo on the ferry and have a walk about, and then come back.

Is that possible? Presumably you don't need to be in a motor to get on the ferry?

And as an aside - does anyone know if there's much (wild) wildlife on the island? Many birds aside from sparrows?

Thanks!!
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9417
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1783
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by phuketrichard » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:08 pm

yea, its a small island, easy to walk around
there's fuck all there, ( and i was last there 8 years ago) but some people trying to make it by weaving an selling the goods to tourists.
did have a cheap meal an conversation in french with some old Khmer guy.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
Kampoochie
Expatriate
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:36 pm
Reputation: 27
Location: TTP
United States of America

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by Kampoochie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Simon_Miles wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:55 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to go to Silk Island tomorrow.

Am I right in thinking that I can just get a ferry over there on foot, and no tuk-tuk, and just walk about myself?

Everywhere I look online says you want to get a tuk-tuk over there for the day, but I just want to jumo on the ferry and have a walk about, and then come back.

Is that possible? Presumably you don't need to be in a motor to get on the ferry?

And as an aside - does anyone know if there's much (wild) wildlife on the island? Many birds aside from sparrows?

Thanks!!
I spent a fair amount of time up there. There's no reason you need a tuk-tuk for the day, that's correct. You definitely don't need a motor for the ferry either.

The trickiest part is finding the turnoff for the ferry on the mainland side, but if you're looking at Google Maps when you get close it's not really a problem.

Koh Okhna Tei, the smaller island, is a quick little loop, then the much longer walk is Koh Dach. A short bridge connects both of them.

Is there much wildlife? My experience was "not really." But it's still a very nice reprieve from the city, given how close it is.
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 147
Kiribati

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by Phnom Poon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:44 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:08 pm
there's fuck all there
There are none so blind . . .
Sure no waterfalls or mountains or beaches . . . wait, there's a beach, of sorts
OP, take a bicycle

.

monstra mihi bona!
King Keil
Expatriate
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:47 pm
Reputation: 116
Armenia

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by King Keil » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Koh Dach is quite long. If you wanna go tp the northern beach, that looks like a refugee camp your in for a long walk.
But as everthing looks quite the same you can just look around and cross to the smaller island.
I go there for cycling as there is not much traffic on the island.
Simon_Miles
Tourist
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:09 am
Reputation: 10

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by Simon_Miles » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Kampoochie wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:19 pm
Simon_Miles wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:55 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to go to Silk Island tomorrow.

Am I right in thinking that I can just get a ferry over there on foot, and no tuk-tuk, and just walk about myself?

Everywhere I look online says you want to get a tuk-tuk over there for the day, but I just want to jumo on the ferry and have a walk about, and then come back.

Is that possible? Presumably you don't need to be in a motor to get on the ferry?

And as an aside - does anyone know if there's much (wild) wildlife on the island? Many birds aside from sparrows?

Thanks!!
I spent a fair amount of time up there. There's no reason you need a tuk-tuk for the day, that's correct. You definitely don't need a motor for the ferry either.

The trickiest part is finding the turnoff for the ferry on the mainland side, but if you're looking at Google Maps when you get close it's not really a problem.

Koh Okhna Tei, the smaller island, is a quick little loop, then the much longer walk is Koh Dach. A short bridge connects both of them.

Is there much wildlife? My experience was "not really." But it's still a very nice reprieve from the city, given how close it is.
Thanks a lot!

When you mention the turn off bit - do you mean you have to specifically ask where to be dropped off? Is there not a main drop off point on the island?

I'm not too fussed in where I get dropped off myself, just interested in having a mill about really and seeing where it takes me.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:33 am
Reputation: 17
United States of America

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by wolfcreek » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Grasshopper Tours does half day and full day tours on the island. Wife and I did it a couple of years ago. Highly recommended... https://www.grasshopperadventures.com/e ... =&endDate=
User avatar
Kampoochie
Expatriate
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:36 pm
Reputation: 27
Location: TTP
United States of America

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by Kampoochie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:00 am

Simon_Miles wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:08 pm
Kampoochie wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:19 pm
Simon_Miles wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:55 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to go to Silk Island tomorrow.

Am I right in thinking that I can just get a ferry over there on foot, and no tuk-tuk, and just walk about myself?

Everywhere I look online says you want to get a tuk-tuk over there for the day, but I just want to jumo on the ferry and have a walk about, and then come back.

Is that possible? Presumably you don't need to be in a motor to get on the ferry?

And as an aside - does anyone know if there's much (wild) wildlife on the island? Many birds aside from sparrows?

Thanks!!
I spent a fair amount of time up there. There's no reason you need a tuk-tuk for the day, that's correct. You definitely don't need a motor for the ferry either.

The trickiest part is finding the turnoff for the ferry on the mainland side, but if you're looking at Google Maps when you get close it's not really a problem.

Koh Okhna Tei, the smaller island, is a quick little loop, then the much longer walk is Koh Dach. A short bridge connects both of them.

Is there much wildlife? My experience was "not really." But it's still a very nice reprieve from the city, given how close it is.
Thanks a lot!

When you mention the turn off bit - do you mean you have to specifically ask where to be dropped off? Is there not a main drop off point on the island?

I'm not too fussed in where I get dropped off myself, just interested in having a mill about really and seeing where it takes me.
I haven't been up there in a while, but the place you want to turn right off of the highway (going north from PP) is like this Chinese gate — there's one other street that will let you snake over to the ferry, if I remember correctly, but this is not a ferry terminal you can see from the road. It's very easy to just keep sailing up the highway if you aren't carefully watching for it on Google Maps.

Also important: I think the last run of the night is at like 9 or so. Maybe 10. You can call the number on the side of the boat and pay more to have them take you over, but that's not guaranteed and you'd need to speak Khmer. There's 2 or 3 places you can spend the night up there.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 6664
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 1537
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by Duncan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:01 pm

There are two ferry stations .One at the very southern end and one a few km further north. Even though I do a lot of walking I would find it quite a distance to walk
from one end to the other. Best to buy, borrow or steal a push bike and do the trip.
The beach is very popular for Cambodians especially this time of the year when the water level is low and very clear. I take all my family plus more ever year as it's cheaper and easier than going all the way to Chinaville .

Image
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 6664
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 1537
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by Duncan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Just had a quote from my local tuk tuk driver,,,, $ 20 for the day ( same as last year ) from old market to the north end beach and return after ??? hours. plus he gets food and drinks. I also pay for ferry and entrance fee to the beach.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: angkorjohn2, Arget, Cambo Dear, Duncan, Google Adsense [Bot], IraHayes, Isaanbarang, J21H21, John Bingham, phuketrichard, Queef, sammycooke, SINUS, yongchi and 421 guests