Getting to Silk Island

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Getting to Silk Island

Post by Freightdog »

We make a fairly regular trip up to Koh Dach- it's a favourite for the kids. Reasonably safe swimming, little connected raised huts and some quite tasty food. Kangkeb? (Quite large stuffed frog) being my favourite. Plus some beers.

I quite enjoy the tuk-tuk ride, as there's a few curiosities to see, and the ferry is quite entertaining for the lad. Even simply looking at the different houses, and the remnants of some of the older buildings. As a one off solo tour, I'm sure you'd quite enjoy it, if simply getting out and looking about is up your alley.

The mainland ferry points, as mentioned, are quite obscure. Google maps is actually quite good. iOS maps is bordering on pointless.
The southerly gateway is a somewhat obscure (reddish-brown?) arch, I think, but other has few remarkable features. The northerly one I don't recall, because I was glued to maps to ensure we didn't miss the 2nd one after the driver missed the first, last time we went.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

If you are up to it rent a moto. last time i went was last year i think. very pleasant, mostly concrete roads now but quiet and a nice escape from the rat race. the ferry is a bit awkwrd to find cos you have to get on the right road which was full of potholes but google maps work fine.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

If you're traveling on your own or appear to be a tourist, you'll be drawn into a pleasant conversation with a young adult, and then part ways as friends when the ferry crossing is complete. A little later you'll "magically" cross paths with your new friend, who will be delighted to see you and invite you to their home. When you get to said home, you will discover it's not their home, but the home of a weaver who will perform weaving for you and then insist you buy their wares at tourist prices, in which your new friend will share. Oddly, your new friend has needed to scarper before your visit is finished.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Far too many visitors and tuk tuk/motor dop drivers do not know this but there is a Silk Centre at Silk Island and one can also eat there. Well worth visiting as is the Coconut School for local kids and some adult education in the evenings. Any sporting equipment or team sports very gratefully received.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic