Motorbike lessons

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Motorbike lessons

Post by TOG »

Makes me feel glad I came up the hard way. Triumph Tiger Cub as first bike and a Vincent Black Shadow as my first big bike. Try stopping a 460 lb+ machine from 100 mph with drum brakes. Add to that the fact it was totally unbalanced and you were in for a fun time.

My last bike was a Honda Pan European. A 730 lb monster, beautifully balanced and with ABS braking.

Advice from someone who has been riding bikes for over 55 years is start small and take your time. A Honda Wave or similar would be ideal and these step through automatic bikes are no more difficult than riding a push bike. Just make judicious use of mirrors, take nothing for granted and assume that everything on and off the road is a potential hazard.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

davegorman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 am Most bikes rear brakes are shit even disced (if that’s the right word) ones.
On big bikes I’d rarely use the rear unless I was doing slow speed maneuvering in a city or through traffic etc.
A very good reason for this being....maximum stopping is achieved with front brake activated and the real wheel just about to lift. Something we were taught way back in the days.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Some thoughts on braking
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Paulo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:15 pm Some thoughts on braking
Interesting.

I notice that he skipped through threshold braking as if it was an easily learned skill. Most people have trouble with cadence braking and normally it's only very skilled drivers/riders like F1 and GP who can threshold brake without thinking.

Good video though and easy to understand.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

TOG wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:19 pm
Paulo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:15 pm Some thoughts on braking
Interesting.

I notice that he skipped through threshold braking as if it was an easily learned skill. Most people have trouble with cadence braking and normally it's only very skilled drivers/riders like F1 and GP who can threshold brake without thinking.

Good video though and easy to understand.
He was unfazed about that wheel lock. Very professional. My next bike will have ABS for sure.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

TOG wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:35 pm
davegorman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 am Most bikes rear brakes are shit even disced (if that’s the right word) ones.
On big bikes I’d rarely use the rear unless I was doing slow speed maneuvering in a city or through traffic etc.
A very good reason for this being....maximum stopping is achieved with front brake activated and the real wheel just about to lift. Something we were taught way back in the days.
True, however you’d have to do some pretty heavy breaking to get to that point!

You sound like an old school biker, like me, sadly biking is a fashion trend now. My accountant back home decided to buy an S1000R one week after passing his test. Utterly pointless but great posing and bragging rights.
I went out on s ride with him (my on a borrowed ZX6) and although he was safe he was so slow I got bored and left him.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

davegorman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:57 am True, however you’d have to do some pretty heavy breaking to get to that point!

You sound like an old school biker, like me, sadly biking is a fashion trend now. My accountant back home decided to buy an S1000R one week after passing his test. Utterly pointless but great posing and bragging rights.
I went out on s ride with him (my on a borrowed ZX6) and although he was safe he was so slow I got bored and left him.
I agree, it would be hard to do today with ABS on board any decent bike. Although I can cadence brake, threshold is just beyond my level.

Boring? As you get older you enjoy the ride more than the speed. Speed is for track days.

Funnily enough, the bike I enjoyed riding most was my Triumph Legend. Extremely comfortable, enough power for most ride outs, a lack of chrome for cleaning and no computers made for easy maintenance/repair.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Not bored of the speed. Bored of stopping and waiting for him!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

A wave is 2/3 the price of a dream and has real brakes :-) Gotta say in general I dont like hondas. lots of littlw annoyances. For example they use less oil in the engins soit has to be replaced evry 2000 k miles, but yamaha and suzuki were still on 3000km. In the early 80'2 i used to work in a motorbike shop selling Honda, suzuki and yamaha. the most bikes brought back under warranty inside 6 months was honda. Not mechanical but rust on frames or shitty paintwork or chrome peeling off. Its their obsession with weight. make the chrome half the thickness and save 1 gram per bike :-(
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I replace the oil every 1000k and the filter every 3000k on my Suzuki at the dealer. Copy filters are crap.

Those Wins get their oil replaced every 300k is seems, probably because it leaks out!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic