Motorbike lessons

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
aussieguy100
Expatriate

Re: Motorbike lessons

Post by aussieguy100 »

RickyBobby wrote:

Also, braking. Use more of your rear brake as it drags you to a stop, and the front brake could slide your front wheel and cause a wipe out.
I think this is counter to how most schools would teach. When braking, all the weight of the bike goes forward, and the front brake is far more effective than the rear in stopping the bike. That’s why all bikes have much larger front brakes than rear brakes.
If you mainly use the rear brake, the rear wheel can skid far more easily and the bike often starts moving sideways.
I’d certainly agree that you want to be braking in a straight line and with the bike as upright as possible.
Also on dirt roads, with dirt bikes, yes use the rear brake much more because the grip at the front on gravel and dirt is much less than in tarmac and it is easier to ‘lose’ the front wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Most bikes rear brakes are shit even disced (if that’s the right word) ones.
On big bikes I’d rarely use the rear unless I was doing slow speed maneuvering in a city or through traffic etc.

Here on a Moto I’ll brake heavy with the front before the corner or turn then barely touch the front and the use the back brake if needed.
As we all know if you use the brakes on a corner it’ll want to sit the bike up - also brake before corners.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Khmer New Year is coming up and PP will be a ghost town. I remember when I started to ride that was a big opportunity for me to practice. I sometimes take a passapp when going a long distance such as yesterday when going 3 up from Riverside to Aeon 2 and back would be more pain in heavy traffic than paying a few bucks.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

davegorman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 am Most bikes rear brakes are shit even disced (if that’s the right word) ones.
If the brakes are not performing that's most likely a problem of maintenance rather than the brakes ineffectiveness. Of course if you ever rent or buy a small bike here chances are the breaks will be poor as the bikes are not properly maintained. If you strip an old smalI moto here chances are you will find the brake linings "finished" and the drum scored.

I would not run a bike with a front drum as they are less effective and in the wet and fill with water. You need to keep drying them out or they don't work at all. I run a Yamaha Jupiter which has a front disc which is very effective. I recently replaced the pads and rotor and checked and cleaned out the rear drum. The shoes have about a third of the material left and I will replace soon. I bought the bike new seven years ago brand new and drive Chroy Changvaar Phnom Penh most days and around Phnom Penh I tend to drive fast and need to brake hard quite often. The brakes have always been "up to the job"

If you buy a brand new small bike here with front disc it will generally be good, however if you buy a small bike second hand the chances of working brakes will be slim :D
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I’m talking about big bikes in the west. They don’t do much, compared to the fronts, even if new.

Anyway. I checked just how shit those Honda Dreams brakes are. Me on a Wave (disc) and mate on a brand new Dream.
50kph and we both braked as hard as we could at an agreed marker. The Dream was two car lengths back. (He admitted later he also used the rear!).
He said when it’s wet he’s better off putting his feet down.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Well fuck me sideways and call me Nigel.
The new 2019 Honda Cub 125 has a disc brake! It only took them 61 years! :clap:

($3600 please. Yep. $3600 for a 61 year old engine, with 12 CDI from the old 6V. Oh and a disc brake!)

:BangHead: :BangHead:

I’m off to have a sleep.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

RickyBobby wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:44 am
pczz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:29 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 pm
One thing I would recommend you learn is how to push your steering on the opposite side of the direction you wish to turn so that you can induce the lean of the bike.
Bloody hell you are giving away your age. Used to teach counter steering in the 70's whne bikes were tall, top heavy and had skinny tyres. Not someothing for the novice to play with theough vertickla to 45degrees ban in the time it takes to blink. Was the only was to get my gs1000 round corners. Oh for the days they made real bikes with no abs, linked breaking, traction control, launch control, slipper clutches, multi-option engine settings blah blah. meme were men and drove bikes, not piloting a glorified xbox.
Put an averag emodern biker on a z1 or kwacker kh500 and they would shit themselves and fall off in 100 yards
I used to ride this bad boy. A 4 cylinder 750 cc sport bike engine in a cruiser style configuration. I always wanted a HD Fatboy though. I loved how this bike had dual pipes on each side, which I thought looked cool. I traded out the stock seat for a Mustang, which was studded and had some tassels and looked more saddle like.

p.s. I am 56.
v four might be interesting apart from the peculiarly american thing this feet forward lark. Europeans like their feet under their arse. Different styles of riding.
I have had a couple v-twins and i have to say I didnt realy like the power train. jerky and lumpy at low speeds.
Harleys were tractors, although i thnk the modern ones have improved. When i had my old triumph we use to have serious debates over which was best.
The conclusion was that the bonnie would leak all its oil out before the vibration got you, whereas the harly would shake you to death before the oil ran out. As a precaution we mostly had jap fours as well
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I've always thought balancing the braking more rearward was more effective. Honda, with its well regarded combined braking system, shows in a graphic way how more effective front-biased braking is and how its combined braking system is even more effective than that. As noted above, dirt braking should be more rearward-biased. Look in the link at item No. 3.

https://global.honda/innovation/technol ... ebook.html

To the OP: watch for a few weeks how people ride bikes and how traffic moves in Cambodia by choosing different streets and intersections from the comfort of a cafe window seat. Or bar. I did this before getting my first Thai licence. Then to get "up to speed," I drove slowly, staying out of the way and watching my rear mirrors. "Watching my rear mirrors" was probably the most important lesson in safety because trouble (and death) often comes from behind. Many riders in Thailand have been run over at stop lights due to brainless drivers.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Ravensnest wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:48 am . Meaning their whole lives are spent on it going anywhere.
I'm disgusted with my typo!
Still here, in country...
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

pczz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:32 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:44 am
pczz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:29 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 pm
One thing I would recommend you learn is how to push your steering on the opposite side of the direction you wish to turn so that you can induce the lean of the bike.
Bloody hell you are giving away your age. Used to teach counter steering in the 70's when bikes were tall, top heavy and had skinny tires. Not something for the novice to play with through vertical to 45 degrees ban in the time it takes to blink. Was the only was to get my gs1000 round corners. Oh for the days they made real bikes with no abs, linked breaking, traction control, launch control, slipper clutches, multi-option engine settings blah blah. meme were men and drove bikes, not piloting a glorified xbox. Put an average modern biker on a z1 or kwacker kh500 and they would shit themselves and fall off in 100 yards
I used to ride this bad boy. A 4 cylinder 750 cc sport bike engine in a cruiser style configuration. I always wanted a HD Fatboy though. I loved how this bike had dual pipes on each side, which I thought looked cool. I traded out the stock seat for a Mustang, which was studded and had some tassels and looked more saddle like.

p.s. I am 56.
v four might be interesting apart from the peculiarly american thing this feet forward lark. Europeans like their feet under their arse. Different styles of riding. I have had a couple v-twins and i have to say I didn't really like the power train. jerky and lumpy at low speeds. Harley's were tractors, although i think the modern ones have improved. When i had my old triumph we use to have serious debates over which was best. The conclusion was that the bonnie would leak all its oil out before the vibration got you, whereas the Harley would shake you to death before the oil ran out. As a precaution we mostly had jap fours as well
Nothing runs better than a Honda, or so they say. I always liked the look of the Magna, but I once went for one of those Harley Riding Days at the local dealer, and from that moment on I was fucked, because the difference in the ride on the Fat Boy was really noticeable and I wanted one.

As far as braking goes and driving in general, its great to know the limits of your systems, and to test them, and learn to be sensitive to 'feel' and respond accordingly. Its not all theory. Again, I use both brakes, front and rear, and cannot really assign a % of how and when because its largely intuitive.

To the OP, I am sure there are plenty of people that would be willing to take a bit of pay for giving you some lessons. You could take a ride out to somewhere a little less dense with traffic and practice.

Also, if you do not have a bike yet and you are not broke, just go buy a new dream. I still think that they are the best on offer for their reliability, accessibility to easy repair, and for holding their value. It literally cost me maybe 200 a year now or less since I bought mine in 2014.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic