Retirement visa changes?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
ned kelly
Expatriate
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am
Reputation: 22
Australia

Retirement visa changes?

Post by ned kelly » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 am

Theres an agent in Kampot saying as of this year you need a letter of retirement,previously you only needed to be over 55.

Anyone heard of this change?
davegorman
BANNED
Posts: 1048
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am
Reputation: 219
France

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by davegorman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:56 am

I think it’s just a self declaration signed and thumb printed.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 1410
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 378

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by newkidontheblock » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 am

What the heck is a letter of retirement? If one stops working, aren’t they ‘retired’? Does there need to be an official letter of permission from some higher authority in order to be retired?

Age number is used to start receiving social security, making withdrawals from IRAs/annuities, or whole life insurance.

So one could be in their 70s and 80s, collecting all of the above, and be happily working.

Or conversely, one could be in their 40s, not collecting all of the above, and not working.

I’m confused.
User avatar
Brody
Expatriate
Posts: 2585
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Reputation: 1687
Cambodia

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by Brody » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 am

newkidontheblock wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 am
I’m confused.
PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 pm


- Produce a stat dec stating that you do not, and do not intend to, work in Cambodia due to being retirede, etc.
- Provide evidence of sufficient funds for the duration of your Visa EOS.

You are at the mercy of the DoI Officials, you need to convince them of your eligibility. I know of several people in their 30's and 40's, and one 28 year old, who have received an ER EOS...I also know people aged between 50 - 55 who have been denied an ER EOS.
User avatar
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 pm
Reputation: 218
Cambodia

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by armchairlawyer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am

ned kelly wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 am
Theres an agent in Kampot saying as of this year you need a letter of retirement,previously you only needed to be over 55.

Anyone heard of this change?
Yes, I thumbprinted a letter stating how much I spent every month. Had to pay $5 for the letter (which the agent drafted after asking me how much I spent).
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 714
New Zealand

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 am

ned kelly wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 am
Theres an agent in Kampot saying as of this year you need a letter of retirement,previously you only needed to be over 55.

Anyone heard of this change?
There is no change, no supporting documentation is required if you are aged 55+.

The only difference is that ALL Visa extension of stays now require a simple request letter, which any decent agent will do on your behalf, you just need to thumbprint it.

I would advise you to use a different agent.

Let me guess which agent told you that you needed supporting documentation...Meta?
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 714
New Zealand

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:32 am

Brody wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 am
newkidontheblock wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 am
I’m confused.
PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 pm


- Produce a stat dec stating that you do not, and do not intend to, work in Cambodia due to being retirede, etc.
- Provide evidence of sufficient funds for the duration of your Visa EOS.

You are at the mercy of the DoI Officials, you need to convince them of your eligibility. I know of several people in their 30's and 40's, and one 28 year old, who have received an ER EOS...I also know people aged between 50 - 55 who have been denied an ER EOS.

Supporting documentation as per above only required if under 55
User avatar
Brody
Expatriate
Posts: 2585
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Reputation: 1687
Cambodia

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by Brody » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:56 am

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 am

The only difference is that ALL Visa extension of stays now require a simple request letter

Just being pedantic here, but for EB EOS there's going to have to be a letter of employment from a registered company/business in Cambodia. Unless you are the business owner then you need to produce your business license, I think.
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 714
New Zealand

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Brody wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:56 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 am

The only difference is that ALL Visa extension of stays now require a simple request letter

Just being pedantic here, but for EB EOS there's going to have to be a letter of employment from a registered company/business in Cambodia. Unless you are the business owner then you need to produce your business license, I think.
Yes, for 6 or 12 mth EB EOS...if employee, official letter of employment plus request letter. If Biz owner, letter of employment, business license, tax patent and request letter.

For 1 or 3 mth EB EOS...Work Permit and request letter.

If applying for an EB EOS as a non-working dependent or a non-working legal spouse of a Cambodian Citizen, then different documents are required.

But this thread is about the ER EOS...not the EB EOS.
User avatar
Brody
Expatriate
Posts: 2585
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Reputation: 1687
Cambodia

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by Brody » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:21 pm

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:11 pm

But this thread is about the ER EOS...not the EB EOS.
True, sorry.

Interesting to read about the request letter. Rather simple but something that wasn't required of me last year for an EB-EOS.

It's good to learn of new developments. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clutchcargo, Duncan, IraHayes, John Bingham, JUDGEDREDD, timmydownawell and 403 guests