make your own ebike

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

make your own ebike

Post by la8rat »

ok im in England but apart from the actual bike all the bits came from ali express who i believe deliver to Cambodia

its a torque sensing set up meaning not throttle.. you peddle it goes. stop peddling it cuts the power. peddle harder and it adds more power.

just the same as all the shop bought e bikes.

motor is called a tsdz2 (catchy name)

cost in gbp £ the motor kit was 250 the battery was 200 and a few connectors cost pence. i bought a smaller chain ring for better hill climbing (£35)

total breeze to set up with a few basic tools
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: make your own ebike

Post by davegorman »

What’s wrong with just a normal bike or a Moto or is it simply you want to get somewhere quicker or you’re just a bit lazy?

I honestly don’t “get” E-bikes.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

davegorman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 am What’s wrong with just a normal bike or a Moto or is it simply you want to get somewhere quicker or you’re just a bit lazy?

Pretend you exercising when in fact you aren't :wink:
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

And also I wouldn’t fancy lugging that thing over a fence or up some stairs. I bet it adds at least 15kg to a normal bike.
All that extra weight on parts of the bike not meant to have on and fucking up the centre of gravity.

No thanks.
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

davegorman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 am What’s wrong with just a normal bike or a Moto or is it simply you want to get somewhere quicker or you’re just a bit lazy?

I'm only guessing some people want to avoid MOTs and insurance but have a motorised mode of transportation.

That being said though, it's not like the UK doesn't have Honda Waves and Cubs available, which cost a pittance to insure and keep running, so I also don't understand the appeal of e-bikes.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

ive normal mountain biked for years, at 52 my knees are shot at from the biking and the years of carpet fitting. with this i can still get out into the hills with my mates.
davegorman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:41 am And also I wouldn’t fancy lugging that thing over a fence or up some stairs. I bet it adds at least 15kg to a normal bike.
All that extra weight on parts of the bike not meant to have on and fucking up the centre of gravity.

No thanks.
the motor adds 2.5kg the battery in the pic weighs 3kg bike before build was 12kg my smaller battery weighs only 2 kg.
i weigh 67kg i ride with guys who are 90kg+ ill let you do the maths
you can see all the weight is lower than the saddle right? thats the bit where my weight goes. the added weight lower down actually makes it a very stable ride. and it tends to jump nicer.
hanno wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:38 am

you have to peddle still get out of breath on the big hills as i have to spin rather than grind up the hills and the downhills are a full body workout.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Fair enough!

I tried laying a carpet once. Fuck that!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

la8rat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:52 pm

ive normal mountain biked for years, at 52 my knees are shot at from the biking and the years of carpet fitting. with this i can still get out into the hills with my mates.
davegorman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:41 am And also I wouldn’t fancy lugging that thing over a fence or up some stairs. I bet it adds at least 15kg to a normal bike.

No thanks.
the motor adds 2.5kg the battery in the pic weighs 3kg bike before build was 12kg my smaller battery weighs only 2 kg.
you can see all the weight is lower than the saddle right? thats the bit where my weight goes. the added weight lower down actually makes it a very stable ride. and it tends to jump nicer.

you have to peddle still get out of breath on the big hills as i have to spin rather than grind up the hills and the downhills are a full body workout.
And you dont live in cambodia with rolling power cuts, electricity that takes 10 hours to charge a phone on a good day when its working and a 4th floor apartment with no way to charge the bike downstairs, asuming no one stole it anyway.
Electric bikesand cars are only useful if you live somehwere you can charge them
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

I think in your case and electric bike is a great idea. But I wonder if for the total cost including bike you can't just get a cheap 2nd hand scooter instead?
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

pczz wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 pm
la8rat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:52 pm

No thanks.

And you dont live in cambodia with rolling power cuts, electricity that takes 10 hours to charge a phone on a good day when its working and a 4th floor apartment with no way to charge the bike downstairs, asuming no one stole it anyway.
Electric bikesand cars are only useful if you live somehwere you can charge them
If your phone takes 10 hours to charge you need a new phone or charger.. its not the back end of nowhere anymore. Stop trying to sound like you're on the very edge of civilisation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic