make your own ebike

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: make your own ebike

Post by JerryCan »

beaker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:34 am batteries are also available and speeds over 100km/h if that is what you want.
Chargers use under 2A
That is absolutely nuts on a bicycle. I have a 10 hp 125cc with disc brakes, 3.00/17 tyres, thick alloy wheels and 4 decent sized shocks.

Even that feels uncomfortable at 100 kph.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Cycling is not bad for the knees at all if you do it properly.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

hanno wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:05 am
beaker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:34 amspeeds over 100km/h if that is what you want.
I do not believe there are many ebikes that will do that sort of speed, and it will certainly cost you, some of them are pricier than a car.

10 fastest production ebikes.

https://www.electricbike.com/10-fastest-ebikes/
Production bikes are always going to be more expensive more than 2x++ the price of a DIY bikes. I can guarantee that you will get much better performance in all categories by spending $2000. to build an ebike over buying a new honda dream.
There are many motors capable of 100 km/hr out there.
Production bikes need to be sold and built like motorcycles with registration/licensing and liability as such.
DIY bikes going fast and/or with long range are very common as most people custom build there own batteries , general rule is raise the voltage for more speed and raise the amps for more range.
The market/technology is growing so fast you need to checkout groups and forums on the subject to stay informed. Production bikes take longer to hit the market and are behind the curve when it comes to performance new stuff comes out every week.
Some people have said they are too heavy, extra 10 KGs, to carry up stairs but most DD hub motor ebikes have a walk mode, under 6 km/hr, that can be used to just walk along side your bike and it will go right up the stairs under its own power.

This bike does 380 km on a single charge without any pedaling needed tho it is a production bike the same can be built by the DIYer.
Last edited by beaker on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

JerryCan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:31 am
beaker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:34 am batteries are also available and speeds over 100km/h if that is what you want.
Chargers use under 2A
That is absolutely nuts on a bicycle. I have a 10 hp 125cc with disc brakes, 3.00/17 tyres, thick alloy wheels and 4 decent sized shocks.

Lots of people use motorcycle rims and tires on ebikes and custom built frames and not the little 125cc stuff
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

beaker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:02 am
JerryCan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:31 am
Chargers use under 2A

Lots of people use motorcycle rims and tires on ebikes and custom built frames and not the little 125cc stuff
Right, but then at what point does it cease becoming an electric bicycle and becomes an electric motorcycle with pedals?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

beaker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:34 am
Most ebike batteries, like mine, have a keyed lock that is opened and the battery is easily removed for charging.
You can have a battery with 100 km range, my 11A battery gets 30+km, 30A + batteries are also available and speeds over 100km/h if that is what you want.
Chargers use under 2A
lease don't get me wrong beaker, i am not opposed to electric bikes but they are not suitable for all environments. Its like everyone saying how wonderful mobile app banking is, except what do you do if you are unemployed or retuired and cannot afford a mobile phone, or your arthritis stops you using the keyboard.
Thats interesting. I presume the charger is seperate and has to be paid for?I very much doubt the 100km range is achievable up to the pedals in mud on a dirt track in the rainy season. There is also the minor issue that most village and even city motos have 2 or more people on them and the odd pig at market time and 3 kids at school run time. Not sure if an electric bicycle is suitable for that load.

I am currently in Europe and a lot of locals have bought the cheapest available decent electric bicycle. It is $1300 and has a range of 20-30km here (it is hilly) with 1 passenger.
I do not think the battery is removable. There are Honda's in the showroom but at the same price as a small car they are not selling at all. The local bike hire company charges 25 euros a week but customers bring them back for exchange every evening because they have no way of charging them at their hotels. There is a bigger incentive here because passing your driving test is about 1500 euros and fule is close to euro1.70 a litre, yet minimum wage is only 800 euros a month.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Basically if it can be pedaled it is a bicycle, but in some places, like Europe or Australia, it can only be a bicycle if it does not have a throttle, pedal assist only, and a max speed of ~20-25km/h then it needs to be registered like a motorbike. General rules that vary from place to place.
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

pczz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:53 pm
Most ebike batteries, like mine, have a keyed lock that is opened and the battery is easily removed for charging.
You can have a battery with 100 km range, my 11A battery gets 30+km, 30A + batteries are also available and speeds over 100km/h if that is what you want.
Chargers use under 2A
lease don't get me wrong beaker, i am not opposed to electric bikes but they are not suitable for all environments. Its like everyone saying how wonderful mobile app banking is, except what do you do if you are unemployed or retuired and cannot afford a mobile phone, or your arthritis stops you using the keyboard.
Thats interesting. I presume the charger is seperate and has to be paid for?I very much doubt the 100km range is achievable up to the pedals in mud on a dirt track in the rainy season. There is also the minor issue that most village and even city motos have 2 or more people on them and the odd pig at market time and 3 kids at school run time. Not sure if an electric bicycle is suitable for that load.

I am currently in Europe and a lot of locals have bought the cheapest available decent electric bicycle. It is $1300 and has a range of 20-30km here (it is hilly) with 1 passenger.
I do not think the battery is removable. There are Honda's in the showroom but at the same price as a small car they are not selling at all. The local bike hire company charges 25 euros a week but customers bring them back for exchange every evening because they have no way of charging them at their hotels. There is a bigger incentive here because passing your driving test is about 1500 euros and fule is close to euro1.70 a litre, yet minimum wage is only 800 euros a month.
I'm not offended in the least, hope I don't come off that way. Just trying to give information.
Most batteries come with a charger and another reason to not buy a production bike is the integrated or special configuration batteries so the person has to go back to them to replace the battery, but most are removable.
As a general rule light weight to power ratio is great for off-road use and in things like mud you want to be able to 'throw' the bike around.
There are lot of cargo bikes available for carrying people and loads, trikes too;

Also many ebikes specifically designed for off-road;

jimi hendrix
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

beaker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:15 pm
Chargers use under 2A

I'm not offended in the least, hope I don't come off that way. Just trying to give information.
Most batteries come with a charger and another reason to not buy a production bike is the integrated or special configuration batteries so the person has to go back to them to replace the battery, but most are removable.
As a general rule light weight to power ratio is great for off-road use and in things like mud you want to be able to 'throw' the bike around.
There are lot of cargo bikes available for carrying people and loads, trikes too;

Next time you are in pp in the rainy season i will show you some real country mud at the farm. My understanding of electric enfine is they produce max torque from zero rpm. that should make getting traction interesting. BTW I have driven electric cars and go karts and they just are not the same as a good old stinky petrol engine. I alos regularly almost get kiled by toyota prius drivers sneaking up un electric at night. Once upona time they were gonna fit electric cars with speakers going 'brum brum" so you could hear the bastards coming.....
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

pczz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:23 pm
beaker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:15 pm
Chargers use under 2A

Next time you are in pp in the rainy season i will show you some real country mud at the farm. My understanding of electric enfine is they produce max torque from zero rpm. that should make getting traction interesting. BTW I have driven electric cars and go karts and they just are not the same as a good old stinky petrol engine. I alos regularly almost get kiled by toyota prius drivers sneaking up un electric at night. Once upona time they were gonna fit electric cars with speakers going 'brum brum" so you could hear the bastards coming.....
Most bikes can regulate to take off torque via the controller display and can be adjusted on the fly like gears also, mine has 5 pedal assist modes and the display controller can be programed so the maximum throttle speed matches the assist speeds just by pressing a button. Also there are bottom bracket motors who have the ability to use the mountain bikes full range of gearing.
I think I would prefer a 2 wheel drive fat mountain bike to a honda dream or similar in the mud a lot would depend on driving technique and the ability to pick a proper track and also being able to ride the shoulder that has not been previously chewed up. The lighter weight of the ebike and maneuverability of the ebike would give it an advantage.

jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic