Girls being given away

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Girls being given away

Post by davegorman »

Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:59 pm Morticia and I get offered kids all the time by friends of our nieces who work in the factories. Many of the girls there will bring a baby to term and give it away to whomever for a little cash, especially if the family is known to be made up of good people. Local sangkat will generate birth certificate for you, done. Adoption made easy.

We politely declined the latest offers.
Young children are a little boney for my tastes. No meat on em.

My wife was bought up by her grandma as is her sister, who is treated like a slave.
I met one women in PP who said she was sold to a wealthy family but they were kind and adopted her legally. Her birth parents tried to take her back (to put to work after she “came of age”, whatever age that is) but the adoptive family were having non of it.

Sadly she was a bit of a dumbass and failed at school and uni but still have a job at the ministry pushing bits of paper around.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:59 pm Morticia and I get offered kids all the time by friends of our nieces who work in the factories. Many of the girls there will bring a baby to term and give it away to whomever for a little cash, especially if the family is known to be made up of good people. Local sangkat will generate birth certificate for you, done. Adoption made easy.

I dont know your circumstances but what was you main reason for turning the offer down. The family of four girls that I have raised ,,after kicking their dad out,
has been one of the hi-lights in my life and the very best time of that was when my now 9 year old was a small baby and I carried her around with me all the time.
I'm not into buying babies or taking them away from their mother but I would certainly take on raising another one even if it meant taking on a young mother as well.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

I went to live in Phnom Penh in 2004 and before I had an apartment, I stayed in the Capitol guest house.
There I got to know a motodop who has done a lot for me, such as finding an apartment. We became more or less friends and once he invited me to his home.
Coming at his home there was also a beautiful girl. She came from the countryside and didn't speak a word of English, but with the motodop as an interpreter, I could do something talk to her.
When we were back at my home he made me an offer: If I paid her mother $1500 she would come to my home and live with me. She was 15 years old and a virgin.
My answer: No thanks!
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:53 pm

I dont know your circumstances but what was you main reason for turning the offer down. The family of four girls that I have raised ,,after kicking their dad out,
has been one of the hi-lights in my life and the very best time of that was when my now 9 year old was a small baby and I carried her around with me all the time.
I'm not into buying babies or taking them away from their mother but I would certainly take on raising another one even if it meant taking on a young mother as well.
I already care for many of our nieces directly and indirectly.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

Absolutely spot on.
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

Absolutely spot on.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The headline is sensationalist nonsense. We can all agree that Khmer families are quite fluid and it's not at all unusual for kids to live at relative's homes. These children aren't "given away", they are entrusted to respected people in the hope that they will have a better life. Of course there are desperate folk who will sell their kids as domestic helpers/ prostitutes/ brick kiln workers etc but to make out that it is common is insulting to the general society. Children are highly prized here,the OP makes it sound like an NGO soundbite.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pczz wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:55 pm
explorer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:19 am With the number of people on this forum who talk about girls having been bought, or given away, or offered for sale, do you think they all made it up?
What's that number, Explorer?

How many people do you know who know a girl who has been sold?

Again, it happens, but you just state it's 'common', which I don't believe. It used to be more common in 20 years ago, but times have changed Explorer, and you seem to be digging up stories from the past.

And your claim you talk to people and they tell you about it is simply ridiculous. If they talk about it, it's gossip. No (Cambodian) parent will ever admit he or she sold a kid.

It's common parents send their children to their parents (grandparents) or brother / sister to take care of their kid for many reasons, but there's no money given for that. In fact, usually the people taking care of the kid(s) receive money in order to take care. But that's not considered 'giving away a child'. It's considered a temporary arrangement and usually it is.
You are wrong. Money is given when a child is sent to live with granny or relatives. In some cases the giver is working and sends money to pay for the kids school, in others its a labour thing. what is common in villages is a child is sent to live with a relative and looks after the cows in return for board and lodging and possibly schooling.
Yes, that's what I meant. When Cambodian parents send the kid(s) to stay with someone else they will usually financially support the caretaker.
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by k*rm*geddon »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 pm … We can all agree that Khmer families are quite fluid and it's not at all unusual for kids to live at relative's homes ...
Perfect summary.
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:56 am
Username Taken wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:11 am "in the old days"

When was that? Are we talking about the past few decades or since the dawn of Khmer civilization?
i seem to have read somewhere that they killed Chinese girl babies in China, seems to have been a common occurrence.

Also in some places in Cambodia the population was kidnapped and taken to southern Issan
It's true Richard. With the one child family rule in China, they wanted Boys only. Girl babies were killed or aborted.

Girl children were similarly sex selected aborted or dropped in a well in India. This has to do with Dowry, and a poor family cannot afford to have a girl. Its opposite of Cambodia, whereby the girls family pays in India.

In Cambodia, it was considered an asset to have a girl, not the least of which is the service and care giving ability of the girl child, and their ability to care for the elders in their later years, but also that the girls family receives the payment on marriage in Cambodia.

For this reason, I would think that most people would hold on to their girl babies if they could. It would only be in the most dire circumstances that they would offer them up.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic