US Students Bring Menstrual Pads for Cambodian Village Women

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: US Students Bring Menstrual Pads for Cambodian Village Women

Post by cptrelentless »

My wife asked me to nip out for jam rags one time and I turned up at the local stall for there to only be a teenage khmer lad manning the store. Of course they were in the locked cabinet for some reason and not having the foresight to learn the name he could not grasp my informative gestures. Luckily his older sister turned up mid a lengthy discussion about months and bleeding and twigged straight away.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

davegorman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:55 pm I’m not commenting further on this thread. It’s starting to make me queasy what with RB’s ever so detailed descriptions.

Ewww.
Grow up.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

davegorman wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:54 pm Oh god I love it when men talk about women’s issues.

If men had periods they would have found a cure for it years ago.
Maybe you can enlighten us then, if you can remember.
If I can remember what?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

oopsfermi wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:36 pm
explorer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:25 pm In real life, people who dont do anything are experts on what everyone else should do.
You're flying an Australian flag so maybe this doesn't apply to you, but do note that these are U.S. students.

For the record, and to be absolutely clear, if somebody from the U.S. wants to do something good for Cambodia, they should start by helping to fix the mess they created when dropping millions of tons of bombs on the country. Even today this ordinance is still killing people. Any NGO from the U.S. that is here to help but that skips right by the hard work can go fuck themselves. You're not the solution, you're part of the problem.

Don't like the sight of blood? Why not try to shed less of it then?
As Puerto Rico is not a nation I take it you use an American passport and as such are just as responsible for the atrocities committed by our government as the students. I assume you are out clearing landmines as we speak and as such suggest you put the keyboard down and tread lightly. I would sincerely hate to see you get some shrapnel in your ass and lose whatever cognitive function you have.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:50 pm

... so, for shits and giggles we did some calculations. As reported by her, a package of 10 pads costs .75 cents. 7.5 cents each one.

365/29= 12.59 cycles x (15 pads @ .075 cents) $1.13 = $14.23 per annum.

I suspect that each girl paid $2000 for their trip, and if that is true, she would have funded the sanitary napkins of 140.5 girls.

All 20 could have purchased enough for 2,811 disadvantaged females.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:34 pm www.dorisdillonschoolincambodia.org/westvalley
the link will take you to the Doris Dillon School web page, specifically the West Valley Colleges trip to Cambodia. Oddly I see no pictures of sad brown people nor misguided feminists. Sadly, some amongst us found this to be far too much of an effort before they judged the students, the school or the Cambodians involved.
You will note the US students did far more than bring feminine items t9o Cambodia.

Pat yourself on the back for your mature and informed discussion all you want, I was raised by the maxim " The measure of a man is his willingness to be kind",
I don t have a problem looking in a mirror when I shave my face, I am not afraid to make eye contact with myself.
Thank you for sharing the link, and I have to admit that the OP article did no justice to the actual mission and what was accomplished by the school and its students.

Upon review, I can see that their approach and impact was much broader and effective.
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:08 pm As Puerto Rico is not a nation I take it you use an American passport and as such are just as responsible for the atrocities committed by our government as the students. I assume you are out clearing landmines as we speak and as such suggest you put the keyboard down and tread lightly. I would sincerely hate to see you get some shrapnel in your ass and lose whatever cognitive function you have.
I'm not out there bilking people out of money on what is undeniably a false pretense. And if I had the means to start my own NGO you can be sure that is exactly where my attentions would be focused.
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

", I am not afraid to make eye contact with myself."

Why ever would you? Clearly a case of love at first sight..
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

It was a comprehensive mission, and the OP doesn't explain it well. Also, they brought the re-usable pads. I do like the model though that teaches the women how to make them and so they can also earn an income. Solves more than one problem.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:59 pm It was a comprehensive mission, and the OP doesn't explain it well. Also, they brought the re-usable pads. I do like the model though that teaches the women how to make them and so they can also earn an income. Solves more than one problem.
Not only that but they don't appear to be religious based and hence conditional on converting the locals to see the light..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic