If you learn Khmer, you may save on accommodation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

If you learn Khmer, you may save on accommodation

Post by explorer »

There are hotels and guest houses with a lot of foreign guests. There are others with mainly Cambodian guests. Those which cater for foreigners are often more expensive than those which cater for Cambodians. Many of those which cater for Cambodians dont have staff which speak English. If you learn Khmer, you may save on accommodation.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Re: If you learn Khmer, you may save on accommodation

Post by The Last Word »

Huh what?? So if you're a foreigner you speak to them in Khmer you will get a discount? You're still in a foreigner in they eyes..

The guys at the front desk have to power to give you discount.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LOL:
another tidbit that is nothing but BS

I'd love you an trapper to get together an make up a Ebook on " all you need to know about SE Asia" :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:52 pm LOL:
another tidbit that is nothing but BS

I'd love you an trapper to get together an make up a Ebook on " all you need to know about SE Asia" :thumb:
Rumor has it that Explorer U. will be publishing a thesis on that very subject.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:dm: In Cambodia you can find some hotels that charge by the hour, and some places charge per night. If you only rent a room for 2 hours, you can save money on accommodation.
If you speak Khmer you may get an extra half-hour free of charge. ;-)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

have also heard that .....( fill in the blank) posted by xxxxxx
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

Being kind and respectful will probably get you as much of a discount as learning kind of functional (or even very functional) Khmer would get you.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

So you're saying cheap dumps in far flung places may be cheaper than staying at nicer places closer to amenities?

Those 10,000៛ massage places are cheaper than my regular place, but I'm sure as shit not having om touch rub me down on unchanged sheets damp with the meth-sweats of 50 truck drivers just to save a buck.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are clearly people responding to this and other posts who did not read the original post.

There are many different hotels and guest houses in many different situations. They are not all dumps in far flung places. Some have very nice rooms and are in good locations.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:33 pm There are hotels and guest houses with a lot of foreign guests. There are others with mainly Cambodian guests. Those which cater for foreigners are often more expensive than those which cater for Cambodians. Many of those which cater for Cambodians dont have staff which speak English. If you learn Khmer, you may save on accommodation.
If you're a gorgeous young female working in a Cambodian bar or restaurant, a barang may bar fine you and give you money, a new phone, or a new moto.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic