A Non Racist Observation

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

A Non Racist Observation

Post by TOG »

Just checked into a hotel so I can collect my wife from the airport tomorrow. Nice hotel in Hayes, just 15 minutes drive to Heathrow.

Popped into Sainsbury's to get some bits and pieces and was surprised to find I was the only white person in the entire shop (excluding one guy at the tills).

There were more white people in a supermarket I went to in Mumbai. You could be forgiven for thinking that this supermarket was in India or Pakistan.

I never knew that this part of London had been so completely taken over by immigrants and their descendents. I knew that towns like Bradford had become more than 90% asian but this still came as a surprise.

Really not sure what to think. Obviously integration into the ethnic stream has not happened but for me the jury is out at present.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: A Non Racist Observation

Post by Pisshead »

TOG wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:14 pm Just checked into a hotel so I can collect my wife from the airport tomorrow. Nice hotel in Hayes, just 15 minutes drive to Heathrow.

Popped into Sainsbury's to get some bits and pieces and was surprised to find I was the only white person in the entire shop (excluding one guy at the tills).

There were more white people in a supermarket I went to in Mumbai. You could be forgiven for thinking that this supermarket was in India or Pakistan.

I never knew that this part of London had been so completely taken over by immigrants and their descendents. I knew that towns like Bradford had become more than 90% asian but this still came as a surprise.

Really not sure what to think. Obviously integration into the ethnic stream has not happened but for me the jury is out at present.
Did they charge you tourist price?
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Try Southall, a little further on from Hayes. Some of the best Pakistani food outside of Lahore.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

TOG wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:14 pm Just checked into a hotel so I can collect my wife from the airport tomorrow. Nice hotel in Hayes, just 15 minutes drive to Heathrow.

imagine how they feel / felt when its reverse-- which it usually is
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

While waiting for your brown wife to arrive at the airport you got pissed off by how many brown people they were letting in to your country.

cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

As soon as a conversation starts with "A Non-Racist Observation" you know what is coming.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

cambo swa wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:49 pm As soon as a conversation starts with "A Non-Racist Observation" you know what is coming.
Perhaps you can enlighten us all rather than making a cryptic comment.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I lived in London for 15 years and don't remember ever having to go to Hayes, unless it was on the way to or from Heathrow. There are loads of shithole suburbs around many European cities that have a lot of immigrants, but who cares because it's very unlikely you'll ever need to go to one.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 pm While waiting for your brown wife to arrive at the airport you got pissed off by how many brown people they were letting in to your country.

My wife is Singaporean Chinese and has a very pale complexion.

Usual stupid reply from someone who has not read my post properly.

The last time I was in Hayes was around 50 years ago and the asian population were regarded as being exotic. When an ethnic group is displaced I do not think it is a good thing. I think it is much better if different cultures are spread around rather than grouped all together like Western people tend to do when they move overseas. In a foreign country I prefer to live among the original ethnic group rather than my own countrymen.

I just wonder why people move to a foreign country and try to turn it into what they have left behind?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

nothing wrong w/ bringing some of your own culture with you when you leave a country behind.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic