Newcomers questions and tips - looking for recommendations

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Newcomers questions and tips - looking for recommendations

Post by Mr.November »

Hello fellow expats, we moved with my wife to PP a few weeks ago and are looking for your recommendations:
1. Are there any places that repair shoes?
2. Cheap, rough gym in the north-western part of PP with free weights? Within a mile radius of the Japanese Bridge?
4. Best place to buy fruit and veg cheap? Or delivery?
5. Place to repair watch/change battery?
6. Local driving license - will they keep my UK license and send to DVLA or I can keep the original and get a Cambodian one, keeping two?
7. Best internet provider and package for fast connection up to $30?
8. Where to buy fitness supplements, whey, creatine etc.
9. Microfinance deposits - are they safe? I see rates of 8% p.a.
10. Work permit - is Self Employment still ok for online applications, we already got health check certificates and Sangkat address confirmations, do you recommend to do it directly or go with an agency?
Many thanks for your helpful tips!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Newcomers questions and tips - looking for recommendations

Post by pczz »

1.usually shoe repair at markets
2. no idea
3 er, missing
4.in the market. sonewhere there will be a local wholesale market for veg, but i dont know that area well. u want good stuff go early b4 8
5. never seen watch repair. change battery usually little street vendors near markets or inside. local batteries are shit and only last a year or so. typical cost $3 to $5
6.you keep your license. u will need business or retirement visa 6 month or year, passport, uk driving license, a paper from sangkat confirming your address. this must have your picture on it and your name in khmer and english if its ur first application. goto to license office aeon 2 very efficient service
7. internet varies by location. check with locals whats good in your area
8.can buy on fb. odd stores dotted around town now. could try pharmacy or ask at gym when u find one
9. yes, safe if u stick to big boys prasac, amk, amret. i have used prasac for years. riel goes up and down with rice cycle so unless you know the cycle best to stick to usd. prasac gives same rate, some give higher rate for riel. beware i had problem sending money home from here and also sending money here. cambodia is on grey list for money launderibg. usually much cheaoer to send gbp and let khmer bank change it for you. they charge half what british banks do
10. technically you need a work permit to do any work, online or not. You also need to reguster as a business and pay tax. start at sangkat for advice
Last edited by pczz on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Are you drunk?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

davegorman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:44 pm Are you drunk?
unfortunately not. just using small phone with big fingers and no glasses. not a good combination.,😁
corrected it now thank you
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Mr.November wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:56 pm 9. Microfinance deposits - are they safe? I see rates of 8% p.a.
Stick with US dollars. The Cambodian riel has been pegged to the US dollar for a long time, but at some unknown time in the future it will go down.

I would stick with banks. If you go with microfinance, definitely only go with the big ones.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

explorer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 pm
Mr.November wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:56 pm 9. Microfinance deposits - are they safe? I see rates of 8% p.a.
Stick with US dollars. The Cambodian riel has been pegged to the US dollar for a long time, but at some unknown time in the future it will go down.

I would stick with banks. If you go with microfinance, definitely only go with the big ones.
Agree about the riel but not the banks. Prasac and AMK and Amret all used to be NGO's. The way they lend is mailnly small loans for short periods, they usually lend to loan groups of at least 3 people and at least 1 has to have collateral. Village chief also has to sign off on the loan. Thye are not perfect but their repayment rates are good. banks, on the other hand, are looking rather exposed. they do biger loans for longer and alot is going into property and speculation. ACLEDA and ABA are probably the safest along with Cambodia Public bank, but there are a lot of dodgy foreign banks around. Bank interest rates are pretty low as well
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Prasac
pays up to 8% :-) for 12 months fixed
thats who i will go with when i move over
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Wow. What a surprise. Explorer giving ill advised advice yet again.
Can I ask, have you ever been to Cambodia?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:54 am Prasac

Will you also be changing your name to ???? kampotrichard ,, when you move over ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:54 am Prasac
No really. You should stay in wonderful Thailand Ricardo. Please.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic