Business visa question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Simon_Miles
Expatriate

Business visa question

Post by Simon_Miles »

Hi all,

I'm working in Cambodia, and currently in Vietnam to do the visa run.

I have my passport and letter of recommendation from the place I work. When I come back to Cambodia (on a coach), is it as simple as providing both the letter and my passport and paying for the business visa at immigration?

Or is there anything else I need to do in advance?

Also do I need to let the coach driver know?

Many thanks im advance!

Simon
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Business visa question

Post by davegorman »

Just get an ordinary visa ($35) at the border. Then worry about the paperwork after at an agent.

Don’t go confusing the driver with that stuff.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

the coach driver will be more interested in his mistress at his next long stop :dragonchase:
thru shit to more shit
Simon_Miles
Expatriate

Post by Simon_Miles »

davegorman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:49 am Just get an ordinary visa ($35) at the border. Then worry about the paperwork after at an agent.

Don’t go confusing the driver with that stuff.
Thanks for the response.

I was under the impression that you got the business visa on arrival at the checkpoint to Cambodia. Is that not the reason for leaving the country and then coming back in?

I was on a tourist visa, so could I actually have just sorted out the business visa without leaving Cambodia as long as I had my letter of recommendation?

Sorry - total novice!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

As mentioned, as long as you hold a passport from a country which is eligible to obtain an E-type (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival, then there is no need to provide the Letter of Invitation. Personally though, if I were you I would not let the bus company get your visa for you, high chance of them fking it up and getting you a T-type (Tourist) Visa, do it yourself.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:59 pm no need to provide the Letter of Invitation.
By the sounds of it he's probably trying to change an EG to EB. He said he's now working in Cambodia and doing a visa run.

I assumed by "letter of recommendation" he was referring to a letter of employment, which he'll need to eventually get his EB EOS.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

i did have problems getting a busibess visa coming in by bus from saigon a few years ago, had a lengthy interview for about 45 minutes before they realised i was too stupid to give them a "tip" so your letter mught cone in handy
Simon_Miles
Expatriate

Post by Simon_Miles »

Thanks for your replies guys.

So for clarification - can I obtain the business visa at the immigration checkpoint on the way back into Cambodia?

Or do I have to get another tourist visa and apply for it when back in Cambodia?

And if it's the second option - was there any need for me to leave the country if I could have just organised it within my tourist visa while in Cambodia for the first month?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Simon_Miles wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:04 pm So for clarification - can I obtain the business visa at the immigration checkpoint on the way back into Cambodia?
Yes! As long as you are eligible (you haven't mentioned your Nationality).
Simon_Miles wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:04 pm Or do I have to get another tourist visa and apply for it when back in Cambodia?
This is not even an option as you cannot convert a T-type Visa to an E-type Visa or E-type EOS in country.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

No one can guarantee you will get the visa you want at a land border crossing. They are not as reliable about these things as the main airports so is almost always a safer bet to do visa runs by plane. there arecheap flights to malaysia or even thailand if you book a bit in advance
As stated earlier i had issues at that border a few years ago, I have also been refused a business visa at siem reap on 1 occassion and had to fly out and come back through PP.
Take what you can to support your application and a few dollars in small notes just in case you need some assistance.
if they get funny get out some papers and start talking them through your business plan till they get bored and realise they are wasting time when they could be screwing over someone who will pay, or explain you dont want to miss the bus and ask for the express $10 service.
It is 99% likely you will have no problem so don't worry about. I
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic