Go to place, favourite meal

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Go to place, favourite meal

Post by wackyjacky »

^^^^ The owner is a great guy & the staff is friendly & unusually well trained. I like to drink there and play a little pool. The only thing I eat at Snooky's now are the pies (& they don't make 'em). They dress up the plates nicely, but IME there's always problems with the food. The Thai Food is not good (even though his wife, the chef is Thai). Until you gave me MMs, I was off of beef, but my gf ordered an Aussie steak MR, it was taking a long time & we reminded them 3x not to cook it too much, & it arrived 40 mins after I had finished my chicken pie ! Of course it was wellwellwellwell done, & thrown away. We got her some Tom Yum which she didn't like either (& she grew up in Thailand).
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Wacky and Sailor - you blokes are talking about the other Snookys, NOT Snookys on the beach. The Snookys you are talking about ( Roys and afaik, the original) shines in some areas, but not so much in others. However, the 2 places are about 5 kms apart distance wise. You fellas must know the one I'm talking about Snookys (sort of, almost) on the Beach? They rock!
P.S - if you don't know - I aint telling!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I know the one you're talking about and I have to agree to food is top notch.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Went to the Snookys (down by the beach) a couple of years ago for the Sunday Roast. Got there at 5:30 and was told it didn't start until 6:00. No "come on in, have a drink and it will be a couple of min.", just "you can't eat until 6:00." Never went back. Treat your potential customers like dirt and you have no customers after a while. Every time I go by there it never looks very busy and sometimes looks downright empty.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

I quite like cafe Alma's, it's better if you go a little earlier or later for breakfast or lunch. And no, there's no alcohol served.
Using Tapatalk
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the food is great at Alma, I believe it is affiliated with a religious group of some sort, but definitely not advertized.
Their cake selection is very middle America with a lot of classic recipes my grandma used to make.

i wonder if perhaps they could be mexican mormons..............
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Like Mitt Romney ?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

maybe- i understand originally they are all from Kolob though.
nonetheless, smells like my grandma's kitchen when i walk in and nice friendly people.

frequented by NGO's which the chicken made loud comments about when he joined me for lunch on a time.

no one threatened him though- at that place.

russians don't get his style of humour.
ralphamsterdam
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by ralphamsterdam »

Charlie Harper's Bar in Sihanoukville for their German Schnitzell with gravy and potatoes. Living next to Germany once in a while I like a nice Schnitzell. Also the Chili Con Carne of Tony is nice.
Carpe diem
keeping_it_riel
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by keeping_it_riel »

Mrs Stroppy wrote:I quite like cafe Alma's, it's better if you go a little earlier or later for breakfast or lunch. And no, there's no alcohol served.
+1

Alma, Buffalo Sister and Sesame Noodle are all good lunch options in that part of town. Best to get to Alma at approx 11.45 for lunch ahead of the rush.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic