A prisoner in your own House.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Re: A prisoner in your own House.

Post by The Last Word »

Kayve wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm A lot of khmer people died during fire because it was lock from the ouside. We often hear from the news, deathtrap.
Buy some climbing rope as spare and abseil down the balcony?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

The Last Word wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm
Kayve wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm A lot of khmer people died during fire because it was lock from the ouside. We often hear from the news, deathtrap.
Big fire in Siem Reap a few years ago where the only exit was locked (if I remember correctly the automatic doors did not work) and a whole family got wiped out.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Kayve wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm A lot of khmer people died during fire because it was lock from the outside. We often hear from the news, deathtrap.
Put a padlock on the doors and insert the gas to make you pass out, or blow the place up. Sure.

Someone needs to design something that makes that a little harder to do. It should flip from inside to outside so it can only be locked in one position. A little simple engineering problem here.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

RickyBobby wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:21 am There's a lot of fucktardery in the world. No need to make yourself more vulnerable than necessary. That's why I sit back to the wall.
Not a great plan.

:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

hanno wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:55 pm
Big fire in Siem Reap a few years ago where the only exit was locked (if I remember correctly the automatic doors did not work) and a whole family got wiped out.
What about that fire at the SR Disco club a few years ago? Lights out, no emergency lights, and only one exit. People didn't know how to escape and many dead including a few Barang.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 am I woke up with a hangover one morning locked inside a Nepalese whore house with no way out. Ah, good times.
How many customers did you have to service to buy your freedom?
Only several policemen.

Not to derail rick's thread, but the story was...

...word had gone along the whore strip that a police bust might be coming later in the wee hours of the morning. I'd passed out and couldn't be woken or moved so they just locked up and left me there. Fortunately I didn't have to wait too long the following day before someone came along to let me out.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:34 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 am I woke up with a hangover one morning locked inside a Nepalese whore house with no way out. Ah, good times.
How many customers did you have to service to buy your freedom?
Only several policemen.

Not to derail rick's thread, but the story was...

...word had gone along the whore strip that a police bust might be coming later in the wee hours of the morning. I'd passed out and couldn't be woken or moved so they just locked up and left me there. Fortunately I didn't have to wait too long the following day before someone came along to let me out.
Haha, good story bro, and I don't care which way the discussion goes, that's cool.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RickyBobby wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:22 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:55 pm
What about that fire at the SR Disco club a few years ago? Lights out, no emergency lights, and only one exit. People didn't know how to escape and many dead including a few Barang.
I believe security first locked the door when the fire broke out as they were worried people fleeing for their lives would not pay for their drinks :facepalm: .
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Gf (now ex for reasons you will soon see) came to my place one day. Security gate was open but wooden inner door locked. She knocked and I didnt answer so she assumed I was inside with another girl. Off she trotted to a local hardware store, bought a lock and proceeded to lock the security gate from the outside. Her thinking was the only way I could then get out would be with her assistance and then she could catch me in the act. I guess she got bored of waiting so trotted off to a local eatery.

Meanwhile, as she enjoyed her lunch, my cleaner finished her duties and tried to leave but couldn't as the gate was now locked. Frantic calls from her to me were proceeded by rather angry and pissed off ones to the gf to get her to unlock the gate and let the cleaner out.

Eventually a was resolved but it cost me a lot of lost face with my cleaner.

Be careful guys they are all out to get you
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Element6 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:19 pm Gf (now ex for reasons you will soon see) came to my place one day. Security gate was open but wooden inner door locked. She knocked and I didnt answer so she assumed I was inside with another girl. Off she trotted to a local hardware store, bought a lock and proceeded to lock the security gate from the outside. Her thinking was the only way I could then get out would be with her assistance and then she could catch me in the act. I guess she got bored of waiting so trotted off to a local eatery.

Meanwhile, as she enjoyed her lunch, my cleaner finished her duties and tried to leave but couldn't as the gate was now locked. Frantic calls from her to me were proceeded by rather angry and pissed off ones to the gf to get her to unlock the gate and let the cleaner out.

Eventually a was resolved but it cost me a lot of lost face with my cleaner.

Be careful guys they are all out to get you
My (other rental) home had a sliding gate with a padlock, but you could access it from both inside and outside, so only one lock. That's a whack story bro, but illustrates perfectly the problem.

I have a funny story about my cleaner. I had just moved in and had a discussion (w landlord) about a cleaner coming in on Wednesdays. I thought it was still to be finalized for time, and he also did say, she wont come before I confirm that part.

So I am hanging in the bedroom, napping perhaps, and I hear a noise so I go out to investigate and meet my cleaner for the first time, in the kitchen; her with mop in hand and me with ... nothing at all and in all my glory.

I should probably apologize to my brother Barang here and now for destroying the Barang reputation; I hope she didn't tell too many of her girlfriends. At least she didn't laugh, but the next time I saw her it felt a wee bit awkward, no pun intended. :P
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic