A question for Jamie

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: A question for Jamie

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Brody wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:10 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 am and shes about 5 foot
But she still would have been taller than you, though.

:plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 am
MarkRobinson wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 pm :dragonchase:
98% sure I saw the " cool boxing guy " ,the one with excessive macho tattoos on his ( short ) stature stumbling up & down 136 Street of freaks last week .And yes ,, , he was in deep & meaningful conversation with a ladyboy ,who was a good 4 -6 inches taller than him .Way to go Jamie .!!!!!
the only time i was walking down 136 with a girl recently i was leaving secrets bar with @LaudJohn wifes friend, and shes about 5 foot, so you either saw someone else or you need to lay off the meth :facepalm:
As noted by others above, a post outing someone (anyone) is not fair play. Such posts should be binned -- especially if they're outright wrong.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

hanno wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am
Ravensnest wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:26 am
hanno wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am
Ravensnest wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 pm that bird sounds similar to a peacock. I bet Jamie has all of his birds making that high of a pitch.

There is a bird I cannot figure out what it is and I have tried for 1.5 years. I only hear it in the mornings everywhere that I've been in Cambodia. I have never heard it in the evenings and afternoons. The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like wooden wind chimes. sorry for the terrible description. Any ideas?
Take a listen to that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZWXZ65-0c
Thanks, Hanno but that Dove is not although I was surprised by their call too. The other one is not at suttle and kind of starts of slow and then gets faster until it stops.
Between my description skills and typing on the net, I this may be impossible to solve... I've been asking locals but they always say the usual- idk.
Asian Barred Owlet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMMRyturUTE
I've never heard that one. thanks a million for trying mate.

The best way I can describe it is to say it sounds like wooden wind chimes being hit kind of slow and then it progressively gets faster in the span of perhaps 10 seconds. I don't hear it often and when I do it's around daybreak or early morning. It is one of the neatest bird sounds I have ever heard and I've been enjoying birding since I was around 10.
Still here, in country...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ravensnest, what about this: https://youtu.be/9PQ1a-K5oJU
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Or maybe a Bittern booming??

I hear this quite frequently at night in Cambodia.
Quite loud, sometimes very.
at times it sounds almost like a hammer hitting a high tension wire - a kind of twang inside the boom.
Never positively ID'ed the species.

Cambodia has four species - all the calls are bit different and I am not sure which call is which species.
Nor could not i find a good quality audio recording of any cambodian bittern.
However these two - the Eurasion and the Australasian will give you a general idea.
The Aust one particularly has that high tension twang.

the Eurasian - read the text for a nice conservation story too, UK.

the call on the next one is about 40 seconds in - also a story of some good conservation work. Aust.

keep trying.. i never found out that what i was hearing was a Bittern for years.
A real mystery, i was not sure it was even a bird.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:39 pm Or maybe a Bittern booming??

I hear this quite frequently at night in Cambodia.
Quite loud, sometimes very.
at times it sounds almost like a hammer hitting a high tension wire - a kind of twang inside the boom.
Never positively ID'ed the species.

Cambodia has four species - all the calls are bit different and I am not sure which call is which species.
Nor could not i find a good quality audio recording of any cambodian bittern.
However these two - the Eurasion and the Australasian will give you a general idea.
The Aust one particularly has that high tension twang.

the Eurasian - read the text for a nice conservation story too, UK.

the call on the next one is about 40 seconds in - also a story of some good conservation work. Aust.

keep trying.. i never found out that what i was hearing was a Bittern for years.
A real mystery, i was not sure it was even a bird.
Isn't Eurasian Bittern very rare in Cambodia? And would they be booming in winter?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic