Making Money Online.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Making Money Online.

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:13 pm
I should have added a response to this in my post above but here it is anyway: Lots of large, international companies hire remote workers nowadays for a wide variety of roles. A quick check on GlassDoor shows they have thousands of remote positions listed. You don't have to be self employed or find a niche or any of this stuff, you just have to be good at something that a company is willing to hire you to work on remotely. I'm not going to state the name of my employer here but fwiw we have roughly 1200 staff and at least several hundred of us are remote workers from every department from DevOps to HR to Customer Service to Kaizen to Legal. I earn slightly more in a mid level non-managerial position doing this than I did managing regional businesses here, I have a lot more room for growth, I get to watch my son sleeping next to me while I work, and rush hour traffic doesn't exist to me anymore. There is nothing about it that I don't love.
Yes, working online (full time since 2011) has been the best I've ever done too. Maximum freedom, most important: freedom to teach my kid by myself in the afternoon for two hours...
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:06 pm Last year I had a legal (freelance) work permit but getting an EB extension was quite a hassle (july 2018) and they (the DoI) promised me even more problems this year, with a high probability of no extension this year. That's why I'm curious.
Sounds weird. If you had a legal work permit what did they hassle you about? If I can sort out Canadian visas for my family we'll be in Canada by the time my current visa runs out but I'm still interested to know.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

monetize on yt
thru shit to more shit
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Pisshead »

markd wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:39 pmmonetize on yt
That is a pipe dream bro.

An improbable feat.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:41 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:06 pm Last year I had a legal (freelance) work permit but getting an EB extension was quite a hassle (july 2018) and they (the DoI) promised me even more problems this year, with a high probability of no extension this year. That's why I'm curious.
Sounds weird. If you had a legal work permit what did they hassle you about? If I can sort out Canadian visas for my family we'll be in Canada by the time my current visa runs out but I'm still interested to know.
Probably because part of getting an EB EOS involves submitting a thumb printed letter of employment, from a company registered in Cambodia.

Unless his freelance business is registered in Cambodia then there is no letter to submit.

I do remember a while back, some Facebook reports about some people getting freelance work permits and then somehow finagling their own little red-stamped "letter of employment" but that was a while ago.

Maybe PSD-Kiwi is aware of more current anecdotes.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Brody wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:00 pm
Probably because part of getting an EB EOS involves submitting a thumb printed letter of employment, from a company registered in Cambodia.
No, the letter you need when you're on a freelance permit just has to say that the business plans to use your freelance services during the period of the visa you're applying for and doesn't need to be an actual commitment from the company. I checked that out thourghly already.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Brody wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:00 pm

Unless his freelance business is registered in Cambodia then there is no letter to submit.

I do remember a while back, some Facebook reports about some people getting freelance work permits and then somehow finagling their own little red-stamped "letter of employment" but that was a while ago.

Maybe PSD-Kiwi is aware of more current anecdotes.
Yes ^this. Exactly this.

Last year they provided met with an EOS despite not having it, I don't know what it will be like this year, but they foresaw bigger problems.

I work online 100% and have no connections with any Cambodian company. I could probably produce a fake letter, but so far I've played the game by the law.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:38 pm No, the letter you need when you're on a freelance permit just has to say that the business plans to use your freelance services during the period of the visa you're applying for and doesn't need to be an actual commitment from the company. I checked that out thourghly already.
Excellent, that's the first I've heard of this.

This might be of help to many here.

Could you be a bit more descriptive of how the letter needs to be drafted?

Is there a specific format with certain informative bullet points that need to be addressed in the letter?

Can you just whack up a letter yourself? Does it need to be on company letterhead, even though the company won't be Cambodia based? Etc. etc.

They need to be thumb printed now. Do you just put your own thumb print on it?

What info did you get when you thoroughly checked this out?

Thanks Bubble T
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Brody wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:21 pm This might be of help to many here.
Unlikely, sorry. My sources are people I've known for a long time who have done it and the person who has been doing my visas for the past 15 or so years, neither of those are sources I'd expect anyone else to trust. I'll be able to update you with a first hand account in a few months, maybe that will be of more use to you.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I know some guys who make money through sending dirty text messages. Presumably there's an English language version but they mostly work with the Germans. Presumably you have to pretend to be a chick
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic