Making Money Online.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Making Money Online.

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 am An addition: think about a structure to make and receive payments. Receiving the money in Cambodia is extremely difficult, receiving it in your home country is relatively easy when it's still a small amount, but it will get more difficult if the amounts get larger. Once you will have larger sums coming in every year (for PayPal the limit used to be 10k) you will need to comply to all kinds of laws (money laundering) to be able to receive that kind of money, also through online channels like PayPal. So it might be worth setting up an official business at some stage.
??
if u receive money in your home country, than just send a wire over to your Cambodian bank once a month
whats the big deal??
or use atm's
Withdrawing in or transferring to Cambodia is not the problem. Receiving payments for online work in Cambodia is a problem. That's what I meant, so you need some structure abroad in place for this. I edited my post.

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 am Plenty of other platforms as well to get money over to Cambodia,
https://transferwise.com is used by many in Thailand to receive overseas payments)not sure if they transfer to Cambodia
Xoom
Webmoney
You can choose to use these services, but you need a service your client is willing to use as well. Most clients are not willing to sign up with a new financial service provider just to use your services - they will use someone else offering more convenient services.
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 am Making money online is harder an harder. I still know a few that makes $5,000++/month using affiliate programs and writing blogs.
One guy i know buys watches online and cleans them up and resells on Ebay.
another has a deal with US TSA and buys goods that people need leave before they board planes ( lost of Swiss knives) an sells on ebay
Yes, that's what I would call 'a niche'. If you can find your own niche, there are still opportunities out there.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 am An addition: think about a structure to make and receive payments. Receiving the money in Cambodia is extremely difficult, receiving it in your home country is relatively easy when it's still a small amount, but it will get more difficult if the amounts get larger. Once you will have larger sums coming in every year (for PayPal the limit used to be 10k) you will need to comply to all kinds of laws (money laundering) to be able to receive that kind of money, also through online channels like PayPal. So it might be worth setting up an official business at some stage.
??
if u receive money in your home country, than just send a wire over to your Cambodian bank once a month
whats the big deal??
or use atm's
Withdrawing in or transferring to Cambodia is not the problem. Receiving payments for online work in Cambodia is a problem. That's what I meant, so you need some structure abroad in place for this. I edited my post.

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 am Plenty of other platforms as well to get money over to Cambodia,
https://transferwise.com is used by many in Thailand to receive overseas payments)not sure if they transfer to Cambodia
Xoom
Webmoney
You can choose to use these services, but you need a service your client is willing to use as well. Most clients are not willing to sign up with a new financial service provider just to use your services - they will use someone else offering more convenient services.
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 am Making money online is harder an harder. I still know a few that makes $5,000++/month using affiliate programs and writing blogs.
One guy i know buys watches online and cleans them up and resells on Ebay.
another has a deal with US TSA and buys goods that people need leave before they board planes ( lost of Swiss knives) an sells on ebay
Yes, that's what I would call 'a niche'. If you can find your own niche, there are still opportunities out there.
Receiving payments for online work in Cambodia is a problem

WHY?

Ur not hearing me correctly;
someone hires you, you arrange to have them pay you direct to your US, UK, HK bank account,( depends on where they are located to keep wire fees, direct deposits amounts to a Min)
you use any service to have the $$ transferred to ur Cambodian bank
Thats what I have been doing for over 20 years

Niche marketing RULES :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:54 am
How do you (or would you) make money online?

Alternately. How do you earn your living while living abroad?

Any ideas or platforms to share?
It is pretty hard to just wing it, you do require some kind of trade before you come out here, unless you want to blag it as an english teacher.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel, find something you are good at and adapt it to the market.
Unless you are self funded, financially independent/trust fund, or pensioned/retired, it is the biggest challenge.
IMHO you really shouldn't be upping sticks and moving abroad without either a plan or some kind of financial safety net.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

I switched to working completely online about 8 months ago and it was the best decision I've made in a long, long time. If you're going to do it (in the context of having a full time job working for a company) try to find one with a company that has a decent proportion of its employees working remotely so that you can be sure they have all the right tools and structures in place to get your work done.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:48 am
That's the million dollar question, and it's also why you won't get any sensible (free) advise on this online. Everybody working online has found his or her own niche and because the online market is extremely competitive people are not willing to share much (for free). Scared copycats will undercut them.

But I can give you some general advise, for free:
  • Look into something that has your interest. You won't make much money in the beginning, but you will have to spend time and (some) money to start it all up. Doing something in a field you already have some interest in will help.
  • Set up a simple, cheap online structure to start with. Think website, mailservices, etc etc. Forget about Cambodia for this, get reliable services elsewhere. Make sure you have some reliable hardware in Cambodia to work with.
  • Think about safety and reliability from day one. If you succeed, you will need it anyway, and changing it all afterwards will be a pain in the ass.
  • Start small. Don't invest thousands. Most startups will fail at a loss.
  • Be careful sharing your ideas, both in real life and online. There are loads of people trying to achieve what you want to achieve, and they will copy your idea in a split second if they can.
I should have added a response to this in my post above but here it is anyway: Lots of large, international companies hire remote workers nowadays for a wide variety of roles. A quick check on GlassDoor shows they have thousands of remote positions listed. You don't have to be self employed or find a niche or any of this stuff, you just have to be good at something that a company is willing to hire you to work on remotely. I'm not going to state the name of my employer here but fwiw we have roughly 1200 staff and at least several hundred of us are remote workers from every department from DevOps to HR to Customer Service to Kaizen to Legal. I earn slightly more in a mid level non-managerial position doing this than I did managing regional businesses here, I have a lot more room for growth, I get to watch my son sleeping next to me while I work, and rush hour traffic doesn't exist to me anymore. There is nothing about it that I don't love.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:13 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:48 am
That's the million dollar question, and it's also why you won't get any sensible (free) advise on this online. Everybody working online has found his or her own niche and because the online market is extremely competitive people are not willing to share much (for free). Scared copycats will undercut them.

But I can give you some general advise, for free:
  • Look into something that has your interest. You won't make much money in the beginning, but you will have to spend time and (some) money to start it all up. Doing something in a field you already have some interest in will help.
  • Set up a simple, cheap online structure to start with. Think website, mailservices, etc etc. Forget about Cambodia for this, get reliable services elsewhere. Make sure you have some reliable hardware in Cambodia to work with.
  • Think about safety and reliability from day one. If you succeed, you will need it anyway, and changing it all afterwards will be a pain in the ass.
  • Start small. Don't invest thousands. Most startups will fail at a loss.
  • Be careful sharing your ideas, both in real life and online. There are loads of people trying to achieve what you want to achieve, and they will copy your idea in a split second if they can.
I should have added a response to this in my post above but here it is anyway: Lots of large, international companies hire remote workers nowadays for a wide variety of roles. A quick check on GlassDoor shows they have thousands of remote positions listed. You don't have to be self employed or find a niche or any of this stuff, you just have to be good at something that a company is willing to hire you to work on remotely. I'm not going to state the name of my employer here but fwiw we have roughly 1200 staff and at least several hundred of us are remote workers from every department from DevOps to HR to Customer Service to Kaizen to Legal. I earn slightly more in a mid level non-managerial position doing this than I did managing regional businesses here, I have a lot more room for growth, I get to watch my son sleeping next to me while I work, and rush hour traffic doesn't exist to me anymore. There is nothing about it that I don't love.
Yes, working online for a (or a few) employers is also an option. I am not sure that's what the OP meant though, but maybe the OP can clarify what exactly he is looking for.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 am I switched to working completely online about 8 months ago and it was the best decision I've made in a long, long time. If you're going to do it (in the context of having a full time job working for a company) try to find one with a company that has a decent proportion of its employees working remotely so that you can be sure they have all the right tools and structures in place to get your work done.
Not trying to derail the thread, but working online and remote in Cambodia, how's your visa situation? Mine became quite difficult.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:32 pm
Bubble T wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 am I switched to working completely online about 8 months ago and it was the best decision I've made in a long, long time. If you're going to do it (in the context of having a full time job working for a company) try to find one with a company that has a decent proportion of its employees working remotely so that you can be sure they have all the right tools and structures in place to get your work done.
Not trying to derail the thread, but working online and remote in Cambodia, how's your visa situation? Mine became quite difficult.
Assuming you mean work permit, it was a hassle to go from having a regular work permit for a local company to getting a freelance work permit. There is nothing illegal about it, they just don't have a mechanism in place for going from one kind of work permit to the other. PM me if you need a hookup for that. As long as you have a freelance work permit there is no issue with visa afaik (although I haven't needed to renew my visa since starting the new job and switching to freelance permit).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

:thumb:
I've been working online since 1999, when i have worked or not relying on "other" things
have not had a "real" job where i had to actually had to go somewhere since like '97.
95% of my online work i never met anyone else from the company

If ur interested look at https://www.upwork.com/ ( used to be Elance)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:44 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:32 pm
Assuming you mean work permit, it was a hassle to go from having a regular work permit for a local company to getting a freelance work permit. There is nothing illegal about it, they just don't have a mechanism in place for going from one kind of work permit to the other. PM me if you need a hookup for that. As long as you have a freelance work permit there is no issue with visa afaik (although I haven't needed to renew my visa since starting the new job and switching to freelance permit).
No, I meant visa.

Last year I had a legal (freelance) work permit but getting an EB extension was quite a hassle (july 2018) and they (the DoI) promised me even more problems this year, with a high probability of no extension this year. That's why I'm curious.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic