Female Student Killed in Range Rover Hit and Run in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (UPDATE: Release from Prison)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Female Student Killed in Range Rover Hit and Run in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (VIDEO)

Post by Kayve »

lostjeremy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:54 pm I wonder if the judge got more or less than the $70k that the victims family received.
More.
Don't forget the water buffalo
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Re: Female Student Killed in Range Rover Hit and Run in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (VIDEO)

Post by mouytiet »

Just Appalling... and what ever happened to that other prick who killed the Fins?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

mouytiet wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:27 pm Just Appalling... and what ever happened to that other prick who killed the Fins?
Don't forget the other spoiled bitch who mowed down that Irishman on the corner of Monivong and Sihanouk, years back.

I think his family tried to criminally or civilly pursue the matter of his death but I think their funds were insufficient to pierce Cambodia's water tight litigious stonewalling and face saving machinations.

Tragic.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:11 pm Either the killer is 16, and she does not hold a drivers license, and should not have been driving that car, so there are some mitigating circumstances for her and definitely some blame for her guardians. Or, she is over 18, has a driver's license, and so must be held responsible for the accident.
I believe we are not being told the truth. Either she is older than 16, or someone else was driving the car and she is taking the blame. They may think the penalty will be lighter for a 16 year old.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I am amazed that many people are concerned about the penalty for the driver, but most are not concerned about doing anything to reduce road accidents. Large numbers of people drive in a manner which is unsafe.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ Keeping this driver off the road should help to reduce road accidents, as she drives in a manner which is unsafe.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:11 pm That was a foreseeable verdict.
However, more confusing information by the media - such as, she is only 16, but has a driver's license.
John Bingham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 pm
Sixteen- year-old Khun Mey, more commonly known as Yin Mana
10-month licence suspension
What the actual fuck? How can you suspend a licence when someone isn't even legally allowed to have it till they are 18?
Exactly. :BangHead: Either the killer is 16, and she does not hold a drivers license, and should not have been driving that car, so there are some mitigating circumstances for her and definitely some blame for her guardians. Or, she is over 18, has a driver's license, and so must be held responsible for the accident. Whatever the case, a 10 month license suspension for killing someone is really taking the piss, and no wonder there are angry mobs.
When I was a teenager, one guy I knew was a bit of a loose cannon. He would steal cars and go joyriding as often as possible.

One day, when he was around 15, he stole his dad's expensive car, and was blasting through town and out some country road, where he crashed into a school bus at some speed.

Car was a write off, bus wasn't great. Around ten kids sent to hospital with minor enough injuries.

When he appeared in court, he was given a suspended sentence, and a two year driving ban- which expired the year before he was legally allowed to get a full driving licence in that country.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm I am amazed that many people are concerned about the penalty for the driver, but most are not concerned about doing anything to reduce road accidents. Large numbers of people drive in a manner which is unsafe.
IMO the real topic here is not road safety, but privilege and impunity. This case is a symbol of a larger problem. The authorities saw that, and rapidly went into damage limitation mode, making the arrest very public, posting photos of the family giving money for the funeral etc.

I don't have figures right here, but think there are about 5 people killed on the roads everyday in Cambodia. Despite the recent outrage over this girl, most of the deaths are not caused by oknhas and their offspring in Range rovers, or by Chinese in a Lexus, they are caused by ordinary people.
But, as I said already, I think the big topic here is the injustice, not the bad driving.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

explorer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm I am amazed that many people are concerned about the penalty for the driver, but most are not concerned about doing anything to reduce road accidents. Large numbers of people drive in a manner which is unsafe.
Being aware that you might get more than 2 months jail for killing someone might go a long way to help!
leitfaden
Expatriate
Germany

Post by leitfaden »

2 months served, 10 months suspended and 3 years probation and is free to go home.

Something go realy wrong in this country.......

I beginn to understand the sence of mob justice......if "justice" isn't done instantly, it'll never be done !!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic