China to do feasibility study for monorail

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
PPUG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PPUG »

Chinese experts will conduct a feasibility study for a monorail project in Phnom Penh, the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation said yesterday.

During a trip this week to Chongqing, a major city in southwest China, Cambodian Minister of Public Works Sun Chanthol met with Zhou Keqin, vice-chairman of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, a political legislative advisory body in China.

Mr Zhou told the Cambodian minister that China will in the near future dispatch a group of Chinese experts to conduct a study on the construction of a monorail in Phnom Penh.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50590591/c ... -monorail/

All I could think of was this

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: China to do feasibility study for monorail

Post by Spigzy »

Let's hope the incumbent rail experts don't get anywhere it, else this is about as much as you can expect ..

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Later in the story:
A feasibility study for an automated gateway transit (AGT) system, an electric-powered mass transit system, in Phnom Penh is now being conducted in cooperation with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
Almost three years ago, a monorail was rejected in a JICA study. Instead:

“ 'According to the pre-feasibility study, a small electric rail coach system was selected based on the passenger demand and urban characteristics in Phnom Penh. Through the evaluation, the AGT is the most flexible system in terms of geometric design among other alternatives such as a metro, monorail, LRT [light rail transit] and a tramway,' said Hideaki Wase, an urban transportation advisor in JICA."

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/26439/jica ... it-system/
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm a big fan for ''mono-rail '' systems. Firstly the roads are dangerous and crowded enough without having to put extra light-rail , trams or whatever at ground level.
Mono-rail systems dont need drivers, they can be fully automated , think self-drive cars,,,except there is no other traffic to deal with. Another advantage is mono-rails dont have to follow the road system and can often go right through big building where there is a station and a shopping center ,, to the advantage of that building owner.

On the Gold Coast of QLD they have a new '' light -rail '' system which was completed a couple of years ago, and if one looks at the amount of road those traintracks
use , and are left idle most of the time , the car parking spaces that were gobbled up and the fact that the roads are even more congested now that trains are mixing with cars, busses and pedestrians.
During the construction stage many businesses went bankrupt as roads were dug up along with pipes sewer systems etc,to make a strong base for the rails. Compare that to mono rail system where everything is prefab concrete and assembled on site.
It's easy now to look back and say , was it the right decision that was made.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
dirtymacca
Expatriate
Australia

Post by dirtymacca »

Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

I see buses running empty all day; only taking up valuable road space. Well, sometimes there is a passenger or two on board . I think a monorail may have some novelty value at the start, but when people realize it doesn't stop at their door like their motorcycle or car does, and any walking is involved, it will be a short lived loved affair. Also, if it's as poorly managed as the intercity rail network, it won't be worth bothering with. But don 't listen to me, I'm a hopeless optimist.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't see how it could be feasible, there are very few streets wide enough for a monorail. Russian Federation, 271, Monivong, Norodom Hanoi are the only ones that come to mind, maybe Tuol Kork Avenue and some of the other new ones around the outskirts . These are all major thoroughfares so the disruption would be incredible. Otherwise they will have to make compulsory purchase orders on and demolish whole streets. That's also unfeasible, considering the inflated prices all those businesses will want. Going underground is the only solution I can see, but that has it's own huge issues. Like being drowned. :shock:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I hear those things are awfully loud...
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

The monorail in KL is really clunky to ride on, but it gets people around. I do support in theory a raised transit system as opposed to buses getting stuck in traffic. I recently caught a bus from the airport at peak hour on a Friday, and after one hour we had travelled just 1km. The young monk sitting next to me got off to head back where he'd come from because he was too late to get to where he was supposed to be going. Then a few minutes later we finally cleared the jam and got to Norodom in 20 more minutes. If there was a monorail running along the centre of the main roads it would speed up getting around a lot. And contrary to Paulo's comment above, I find the buses I catch pretty well patronised. It's definitely doable, but expensive I'm sure.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PPUG wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:59 am China to do feasibility study for monorail

Chinese experts will conduct a feasibility study for a monorail project in Phnom Penh, the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation said yesterday.

During a trip this week to Chongqing, a major city in southwest China, Cambodian Minister of Public Works Sun Chanthol met with Zhou Keqin, vice-chairman of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, a political legislative advisory body in China.

Mr Zhou told the Cambodian minister that China will in the near future dispatch a group of Chinese experts to conduct a study on the construction of a monorail in Phnom Penh.
The result of the study is clear - it's feasible.

The question is, what's the price to be paid...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic