Would you still go to thailand?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Would you still go to thailand?

Post by Kuroneko »

Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:38 pm
Sidewalker wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:23 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 am
It's the same thing in Cambodia. People talk a whole lotta shit about foreigners, but since they put a fake ass smile on their face, we tend to think they mean no harm. Don't underestimate them. If they could legally slit our throats and get away with it, they would
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 am Cambodia is a hellhole, Cambodian people are always cheating me, Cambodians want to slit my throat, everything here is shit, etc
:please:
Cambodia is a hellhole, whether we like to admit it or not. Cambodian people are not always cheating me, but I often have to ask for my change back (and I'm not talking 100 riels... We're talking about a few bucks here). Cambodians do wanna slit my throat. You should see their faces when I drive around with one of the company cars and they're sitting on their shit mopeds, sizzling under the sun. It's the same look successful immigrants get from poor whites back in the west. Not everything here is shit, but the bad far outweighs the good. If my job could transfer me to bkk or Singapore, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

But thank you for only quoting one part of my reply!
Have you ever been tested for being paranoid?
Lol I did say in a previous post that I'm the subject of crippling paranoia... But that's not another paranoid episode. That's legit. Even my Cambodian boss told me that we should get the windows tinted on all company cars... Like I said before, take off your pink sunglasses and take a good look at what's surrounding you. You'd be surprised. I understand that the west left a sour taste in your mouth, but it's not a reason to keep portraying Cambodia as a safe heaven. It isn't. It's a dump populated by people that care more about what's in your wallet than you as a person
I would say your perspective is more about cynicism than paranoia, as you are always focusing on the negative aspects of people and society and flatly deny that the positive aspects exist, particularly by disparaging the people that do not agree with your negative perspectives . ".....cynical and suspicious attitudes create a negative filter through which we observe our surroundings, when we are in this state, we tend to miss out on joys in life. We indulge in an "us versus them" mentality that pins us against a certain person or group. It is easy to distort people and create a caricature of their flaws. When we do this, it's valuable to ask ourselves, "Whose point of view is coming through? Is this how I really feel, or am I overreacting based on old feelings from my past?"" (Cynicism Ruining Your Life? Lisa Firestone, Ph.D.)
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Pisshead »

Persecutory delusion is a real thing , that 2000 riel beer gives it to em.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kayve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 pm Tinted windows is illegal. I think they made this law to make you feel uncomfortable when khmer are starring at you at a stop light :stir:
Tinted windows are not illegal, almost every car has them. What is illegal is having a plastic film to tint them, if the glass is factory tinted that's no problem.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:34 pm
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:38 pm
Sidewalker wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:23 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am

:please:
Cambodia is a hellhole, whether we like to admit it or not. Cambodian people are not always cheating me, but I often have to ask for my change back (and I'm not talking 100 riels... We're talking about a few bucks here). Cambodians do wanna slit my throat. You should see their faces when I drive around with one of the company cars and they're sitting on their shit mopeds, sizzling under the sun. It's the same look successful immigrants get from poor whites back in the west. Not everything here is shit, but the bad far outweighs the good. If my job could transfer me to bkk or Singapore, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

But thank you for only quoting one part of my reply!
Have you ever been tested for being paranoid?
Lol I did say in a previous post that I'm the subject of crippling paranoia... But that's not another paranoid episode. That's legit. Even my Cambodian boss told me that we should get the windows tinted on all company cars... Like I said before, take off your pink sunglasses and take a good look at what's surrounding you. You'd be surprised. I understand that the west left a sour taste in your mouth, but it's not a reason to keep portraying Cambodia as a safe heaven. It isn't. It's a dump populated by people that care more about what's in your wallet than you as a person
I would say your perspective is more about cynicism than paranoia, as you are always focusing on the negative aspects of people and society and flatly deny that the positive aspects exist, particularly by disparaging the people that do not agree with your negative perspectives . ".....cynical and suspicious attitudes create a negative filter through which we observe our surroundings, when we are in this state, we tend to miss out on joys in life. We indulge in an "us versus them" mentality that pins us against a certain person or group. It is easy to distort people and create a caricature of their flaws. When we do this, it's valuable to ask ourselves, "Whose point of view is coming through? Is this how I really feel, or am I overreacting based on old feelings from my past?"" (Cynicism Ruining Your Life? Lisa Firestone, Ph.D.)
If you had read one of my previous post on that thread, you would've noticed that I did say that the bad far outweighs the good. There are some good things here. Just not that many.
I wouldn't call it cynicism. Realism would be more accurate. A lot of my friends (with high expectations) visited me in Cambodia. They all said they would never come back. Some would not even think about purchasing a plane ticket to Cambodia.
I am missing out on joys in life: CRSSD was three weeks ago, Coachella is in two weeks, LIB in two months, Hard Summer and BM are in August... and I'm stuck here, watching old farts babysitting 50cent beers and getting FB invites to nerd night and dumb shit like this.
Thank god Cambodia is centrally located and I can gtfo whenever I have an extended weekend. See. I told you there were some good things about Cambodia!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kuroneko, the downer guy isn't going to listen to you, he knows better than anyone. And he wonders why he can't find anyone to have a decent conversation with! :lol:
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:17 pm
Kayve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 pm Tinted windows is illegal. I think they made this law to make you feel uncomfortable when khmer are starring at you at a stop light :stir:
:lol: :lol: Of course they would. They're out to get me, remember? They wanna slit my throat because they'll never be able to afford a used ranger
Lol, what would they think/do if they saw a barang in continental GT (saw it once, impressive feat) ?
Don't forget the water buffalo
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Pisshead wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 pm
Men arent getting sex in the western world because the women are all turning into lesbians and feminists its like the western world is a plague and once exposed they women turn either lesbian or feminist.
Well, looks like Air Asia alluded to that here.. :mrgreen:

Tweet: Melinda
@MelLiszewski
“Get off in Thailand” a dog whistle promoting #sextourism brought to you by low budget low ethics airline @AirAsia

Bangkok is a hub of sexual exploitation of women & children & 250,000 western male sex tourists visit Thailand every year. Now its just so convenient! #Shame

Collective Shout, a grassroots organisation which campaigns against the objectification of women, called attention to the advertisement on Monday.

“That this ad is a dog whistle – or megaphone – to sex tourists is not a mistake,” the group said.” The professionals who designed the ad knew what they were doing, the marketing team knew what they were doing, Air Asia knew what they were doing.”

In a statement, AirAsia said: "We take community feedback extremely seriously and sincerely apologise for the concerns raised.

"AirAsia confirms the campaign has since ended and our media partners have had the last of these advertisements removed."

The campaign aimed to promote Bangkok as a destination, "for example, get off the bus get ... off the aircraft in Bangkok", the airline said.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... e-11381842

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/aira ... -ad-2019-3
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Pisshead »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm
Pisshead wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 pm
Men arent getting sex in the western world because the women are all turning into lesbians and feminists its like the western world is a plague and once exposed they women turn either lesbian or feminist.
Well, looks like Air Asia alluded to that here.. :mrgreen:

Tweet: Melinda
@MelLiszewski
“Get off in Thailand” a dog whistle promoting #sextourism brought to you by low budget low ethics airline @AirAsia

Bangkok is a hub of sexual exploitation of women & children & 250,000 western male sex tourists visit Thailand every year. Now its just so convenient! #Shame

Collective Shout, a grassroots organisation which campaigns against the objectification of women, called attention to the advertisement on Monday.

“That this ad is a dog whistle – or megaphone – to sex tourists is not a mistake,” the group said.” The professionals who designed the ad knew what they were doing, the marketing team knew what they were doing, Air Asia knew what they were doing.”

In a statement, AirAsia said: "We take community feedback extremely seriously and sincerely apologise for the concerns raised.

"AirAsia confirms the campaign has since ended and our media partners have had the last of these advertisements removed."

The campaign aimed to promote Bangkok as a destination, "for example, get off the bus get ... off the aircraft in Bangkok", the airline said.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... e-11381842

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/aira ... -ad-2019-3
The truth is out there.

Its no conspiracy.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:07 pm Kuroneko, the downer guy isn't going to listen to you, he knows better than anyone. And he wonders why he can't find anyone to have a decent conversation with! :lol:
Well, it seems like Kuroneko and myself were having a decent exchange until you stepped in.

I never said that I knew better than anyone. Gonna have to work on your reading comprehension. I just don't wanna lie to myself when it comes to Cambodia. Fuck your pink shades.

As far as having decent convos with people my age (you forgot to mention that particular detail), tourists, English teachers, and volunteers are fucking boring. I did meet people my age through work, but they either don't go out, have children, or have accepted the fact the next couple of years were gonna be dull
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Whatever, go and drown in a pool of your own misery for all I care.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic