Cambodian Food

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Cambodian Food

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:45 am
explorer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 am Does it matter if Cambodians eat rubbish?

If you look at different websites, you may get different numbers, but the average Australian lives approximately 20 years longer than the average Cambodian.

The average Japanese actually lives a little longer than the average Australian. So Asians can have long healthy lives.

Not just that, Cambodians get health problems 20 years younger. It is common in Cambodia to meet people in their 30s who have had a stroke. Then the children have to support disabled parents in their 30s.

If you talk to Cambodians about this, they would like to have long healthy lives, but most wont change their diet.
Yes, it must be the food. The crazy amount of people dying in traffic accidents, the hard physical labor over 50% of the Khmer have to do, the lack of decent healthcare... It doesn't really matter. It's the food.

This. In a country where easily tested for dieseases such as diabetes are not recognized, life expectancy will always stay low.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 am It is common in Cambodia to meet people in their 30s who have had a stroke.
It is? How can you tell they've had a stroke?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 am
explorer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 am It is common in Cambodia to meet people in their 30s who have had a stroke.
It is? How can you tell they've had a stroke?

explorer looks at the bulge in guys pants and thinks,,, yea, he's just had a stroke .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:09 am
explorer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 am Does it matter if Cambodians eat rubbish?

If you look at different websites, you may get different numbers, but the average Australian lives approximately 20 years longer than the average Cambodian.

The average Japanese actually lives a little longer than the average Australian. So Asians can have long healthy lives.

Not just that, Cambodians get health problems 20 years younger. It is common in Cambodia to meet people in their 30s who have had a stroke. Then the children have to support disabled parents in their 30s.

If you talk to Cambodians about this, they would like to have long healthy lives, but most wont change their diet.
Yes, it must be the food. The crazy amount of people dying in traffic accidents, the hard physical labor over 50% of the Khmer have to do, the lack of decent healthcare... It doesn't really matter. It's the food.

This. In a country where easily tested for dieseases such as diabetes are not recognized, life expectancy will always stay low.
Yet so many have a 90yo granny.

I don't know, if it was adjusted for war, famine and hard times, and accidental deaths, what would the life expectancy be?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 am
BklynBoy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 am I had a cambodian fish dish but forgot name. Its the full fish sprinkled with chopped up mango and some other vegetables. It has a savory taste.

The name does not mean anything,,, It's where it came from that matters..... Carp caught in the village pond where all the shit and pollutants are thrown taste the best according to some people that live here.
agree w/ you but was curious of the name of the dish...
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

orussey98 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:46 am
Chamboy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:27 pm "The best would be to eat in countryside with farmer where they cook for real."

The bucolic notion that rural cuisine is rsuperior is an illusion. They work hard and would happily devour the table the meal sits on. I’ve been living in rural Cambodia for almost 2 decades and am weary of the local market"s breakfast selection, rice 3-4 times a day or homemade backyard soup, nutritious but boring. Their food is of the same quality as their rice wine. Imminently forgettable, but it gets the job done. Primarily food is viewed for it's utilitarian functions. Taste buds be damned and pull up a seat stranger!
Well. You don't have luck. :D
I had the best food in province fresh numba chok, good rice, fish, desserts, soup, etc
You are talking about a few good meals, I am talking about nearly 20 years of prison food. Sure, I've had a few good meals, but only if my wife's workload allows her the time. We don't live like landed Gentry, work takes priority and because of that most of our meals are catch as catch can. The patina wore off years ago. I consider myself to be a very "lucky" man. The meals are boring, if nutritious in the.main, but family life is solid.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 am
the hard physical labor over 50% of the Khmer have to do
Damn, I hope that was a joke!
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

Damn, I hope that was a joke!"

I have no idea how explorer arrives at this statistic, but like the rest of his encyclopedic
"knowledge" of Cambodia it is highly suspect. Family farms are dying out since it is so damn difficult to break even. That would be the most likely occupation to fit that percentile.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:19 am
explorer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 am
the hard physical labor over 50% of the Khmer have to do
Damn, I hope that was a joke!
Depends on where you look I guess.

Here, from the horse's mouth, about 120 km NE of the Penh:
Chamboy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am You are talking about a few good meals, I am talking about nearly 20 years of prison food. Sure, I've had a few good meals, but only if my wife's workload allows her the time. We don't live like landed Gentry, work takes priority and because of that most of our meals are catch as catch can. The patina wore off years ago. I consider myself to be a very "lucky" man. The meals are boring, if nutritious in the.main, but family life is solid.
That's the way a lot of Khmer families live.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Seems legit, 54% combined in agriculture & industry, whisk off some for management levels & you're probably around 50%. :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic