Cambodian Food

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Cambodian Food

Post by Queef »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Queef wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:03 pm
5/10? You're being very generous. The only edible dishes are not proper to Cambodia (fried rice, fried fish, uncooked veggies, fried eggs, bobo, banh mi, pho). Lok Lak is boring. Kooteehoo (i'm doing my best. Some kind of noodle soup) is whatever. Lortcha and Micha are too greasy.
It seems you have some exploring ahead....

Try these:

Soup Ko (ask them to leave out the cow's brain, some places add it)
Somlor M'chew Krueng, a coconut based soup with loads of morning glory, ask for no or just a little of 'Prahoc'
Sach mon chaa k'dao, chicken fried with spicy herbs
Chicken / pork fried with veggies and young pepper (mrech khchei, ម្រេចខ្ចី)

Personally I like Lok Lak, but try it with deer meat instead of chewy beef. Don't add the Ajinomoto / MSG (Cambodians add this flavour enhancer in large quantities) to the lemon juice with salt and pepper or the meat. Maybe add some sugar to the lemon salt-pepper sauce instead.
None of that sounds appetizing tbh. It all sounds bland.

I've tried. I just can't. It grosses me out. The presentation itself makes me wanna barf
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Queef wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:21 pm
5/10? You're being very generous. The only edible dishes are not proper to Cambodia (fried rice, fried fish, uncooked veggies, fried eggs, bobo, banh mi, pho). Lok Lak is boring. Kooteehoo (i'm doing my best. Some kind of noodle soup) is whatever. Lortcha and Micha are too greasy.

Try these:

Somlor M'chew Krueng, a coconut based soup with loads of morning glory, ask for no or just a little of 'Prahoc'

Personally I like Lok Lak, but try it with deer meat instead of chewy beef. Don't add the Ajinomoto / MSG (Cambodians add this flavour enhancer in large quantities) to the lemon juice with salt and pepper or the meat. Maybe add some sugar to the lemon salt-pepper sauce instead.

I've tried. I just can't. It grosses me out. The presentation itself makes me wanna barf
Did you really try?

These dished are far from bland.

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

To the recent arrivals in Cambodia.

Go to restaurants with a lot of customers.

The food is probably nicer.

You are less likely to get food poisoning.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:27 pm
Queef wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Try these:

Did you really try?

These dished are far from bland.

I've tried the fried chicken with spicy herbs. Meh.
Don't think I've tried mrech khchei. What kind of veggies do they use?

I'm a huge fan of Spanish/ Mexican/ Salvadorean cuisines. Cambodian food can't compare to any of them. It's like Cambodian food is the British food of Asia. Tasteless

I'll get down on some Polish or Bulgarian food before I touch Cambodian food. Just my opinion
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have been invited to eat at the homes of Cambodian people on many occasions. When eating at their homes the food is normally very good.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

explorer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:47 pm I have been invited to eat at the homes of Cambodian people on many occasions. When eating at their homes the food is normally very good.
It seems like they always have the same dish: noodles and pork wrapped in lettuce and dipped in some sauce with peanuts in it. If it's not that, it's the food we usually eat in my office.

I don't touch the food at the gf's family house. They're not hygienic and clearly don't know how to grill meat/ seafood.

My original question remains unanswered: why is Cambodian food so tasteless compared to VN and Thai food? Do Cambodian actually enjoy the food or they just eat it simply because there isn't much else?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Queef wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:53 pm
My original question remains unanswered: why is Cambodian food so tasteless compared to VN and Thai food?
It may be due to the fact that the Thais and Vietnamese originated from the north (i.e China). Whereas the Khmer originated from South Asia.

I eat Khmer food everyday, but there are some things that they eat that I won't touch.
My wife is a great cook, as is her mother. Some years back I had a friend who had a Khmer wife and he was always complaining about the food. I invited him around for dinner one night and he was surprised that the food that my wife dished up was so tasty. [After that, he came around for dinner quite often].

One thing I'll agree with explorer on is to choose a restaurant that has a lot of customers [that applies in any country anywhere in the world].

At my place of employ, all employees have a lunch card to eat for free at the Chinese restaurant on the ground floor. Let me tell you that the food in this place is absolute crap. Even the Chinese employees say it's not tasty. There's no such thing as Beef in Blackbean Sauce or Sweet and Sour Chicken, just crap with lots of chillis to mask the crappiness.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

explorer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:32 pm To the recent arrivals in Cambodia.

Go to restaurants with a lot of customers.

The food is probably nicer.

You are less likely to get food poisoning.
OMG. You’re full of helpful advice.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 pm
That's nonsense. Most restaurants depend on repeat business. If the customers were being served food that they didn't like or made them sick they wouldn't go back.

Condescending BS.
[/quote]

I disagree. Many restaurants exist to take advantage of the needy young, beautiful women whom they employ. Kind of like a booby prize (no pun intended) for losing money like they mostly do. Basically, they're still paying for it, but this makes them feel better about themselves, somehow.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Whilst I do agree that food in Vietnam and Thailand is better, Cambodia does have some good food. I went to Pou restaurant in Temple Town yesterday and the food was pretty darn good without exception (we had 5 different dishes). Run and owned by young Cambodian Chefs. I did not see the kitchen but then that has never really fazed me; I have seen some pretty unhugienic Western kitchens in my lifetime.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic