Bag Snatcher Beaten to Death by Phnom Penh Mob

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bag Snatcher Beaten to Death by Phnom Penh Mob

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: An incident of mob justice took place at 12:50 pm on March 23, 2019, in Khan Meanchey, Phnom Penh, after a thief stole a backpack from a 23-year-old woman and tried to escape.

Police say the suspect has been identified as Hun Sam Hul, a 35-year-old male from Kandal province. He snatched a pink bag from the victim, Meng Ratana Tevi, before trying to escape on foot and then in a tuktuk. However, the woman screamed, and locals came running to her aid. They saw the thief trying to get away and ran after the tuktuk. When it came to a halt, the crowd grabbed the man and began to beat him up.
It is said that the traffic police tried to intervene to stop the violence, but it was too late because the man died on the way to hospital.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Bag Snatcher Beaten to Death by Phnom Penh Mob

Post by Big'n »

Bet that will teach him a lesson!

:popcorn:
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

Big'n wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:16 pm Bet that will teach him a lesson!

By him being dead?
pebbles&nightsky
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

Artisan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:53 pm

By him being dead?
:hattip:
Exactly
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

Big'n wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:56 pm
Artisan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:53 pm

By him being dead?
:hattip:
Exactly
I take this to mean you endorse the death penalty for petty theft?
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

I'm not sure many would support capital punishment for petty theft, but where the law often fails to help the victims, any jaow knows the risks involved. They also know that statistically they're unlikely to face this kind of justice or they wouldn't do it.
I have personally witnessed thieves laughing (albeit possibly from some kind of adrenaline high) but nevertheless laughing, as they've sped off after committing robbery causing injury.

So fuck this guy. He may not have learnt his lesson, as somebody put it, but he sure as shit won't be doing it again.
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

With due respect, you seem to be offering two conflicting arguments here. You say you're not sure if many would support capital punishment for petty theft. OK, where do you stand? In your offering this opinion I'm reading that you consider yourself one of this "many". You then proceed to curse a recently departed man of whom you presumably know nothing apart from what you've read above.

I'm not defending theft at all, just asking questions, trying to ascertain some sort of mood amongst my fellow expats. I'm a little suprised by the number of said expats who are seemingly members of the "Phnom Penh Mob". . . in a wider sense of course and behind the safety of their keyboards.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

I do not advocate beating bag snatchers to death and certainly would not join the mob in administering any form of street 'justice'.

Were it to transpire that the recently departed was a model citizen who worked hard every day of his life, driven to desperation by a series of unfortunate circumstances and who felt he had no option but to steal a bag in order to feed his starving children, I would quickly feel remorse for my comment. But if I had to bet either way, I'm guessing that wouldn't be the case.

Thieves causing potentially lethal harm as they snatch bags, often at speed, must be an almost daily occurence here. Occasionally it ends in tragedy. That is I think, one reason why normal people are often prepared to mete out such rough justice. Sometimes, the thieves get caught and occasionally, things are taken too far.

It is sad that a man lost his life in a very unpleasant way and we will probaby never know the circumstances which drove him to do what he did. But whatever the case, he must have been aware that snatching bags here can be a dangerous game.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I think the Khmer lady should of pulled out her pistol and shot the fucking scumbag....
Since, conceal carry or open carry are not available in this part of the world.. I think a neighborhood militia is in order. I recall a very similar code of conduct in Argentina and they misnamed it as lynching even though they usually beat the guy to death..It was happening all over Argentina 4-5 years ago..The people were tired of corrupt police.
They would even burn a guy's house down who was tormenting the bario and bribing the local police.
So, to see this happening here is not a surprise.
the police never stop crimes...they show up after the crimes are committed and the victims are left with a justice system that is rigged or non existent.
If thieves begin to believe that a neighborhood watch is going to protect the residents..they will think twice and perhaps move to an area of sheeple who don't defend each other...
it is a shame a guy would be a thief and be driven to this lifestyle...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

boofhead wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 pm With due respect, you seem to be offering two conflicting arguments here. You say you're not sure if many would support capital punishment for petty theft. OK, where do you stand? In your offering this opinion I'm reading that you consider yourself one of this "many". You then proceed to curse a recently departed man of whom you presumably know nothing apart from what you've read above.

I'm not defending theft at all, just asking questions, trying to ascertain some sort of mood amongst my fellow expats. I'm a little suprised by the number of said expats who are seemingly members of the "Phnom Penh Mob". . . in a wider sense of course and behind the safety of their keyboards.
From what i am told this sort of treatment is reserved ofr repeat offenders. I have witnessed it twice with gangs beating bike thieves in Area 51. These repeat offenders are warned again and again and then they get punished. Not much different to the kneecapping that still goes on in belfast and summary justice is not that uncommon in rough areas in the west, if little publicised.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic