Phnom Penh Rated as Worst ASEAN City for Personal Safety

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh Rated as Worst ASEAN City for Personal Safety

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Mercer ranks Phnom Penh last among ASEAN cities for personal safety
21 March 2019
Cambodian capital Phnom Penh has been deemed the worst city in East and Southeast Asia for personal safety according to Mercer’s latest quality of living index.

Now in its 21st edition, the annual Quality of Living index compiled by human capital consultancy Mercer assesses a comprehensive range of factors in over 450 cities worldwide to arrive at its overall rankings – with Singapore the perennial top performer in Asia and the upper ranks largely dominated by cities in the DACH region: Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

This year, however, Mercer has also provided a separate ranking specifically for personal safety. Overall, Luxembourg was considered the safest city in the world, while Phnom Penh was assessed as the worst of all East and Southeast Asian cities, finishing one spot below Yangon in 199th place worldwide. Singapore, again, was the highest placing city in the region, at 30th.

The poor personal safety ranking places Phnom Penh only marginally above the notoriously crime-ridden Port-au-Prince in Haiti – but while the US State Department has previously listed the crime status of Phnom Penh as critical, primarily due to bag-snatches and pick-pocketing – the Mercer assessments takes in a broader range of factors, including internal stability, law enforcement, personal freedom and freedom of the press.
https://www.consultancy.asia/news/2084/ ... nal-safety
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Rated as Worst ASEAN City for Personal Safety

Post by Paulo »

Bullshit. Worse than Haiti? That Mercer must be a total racist. Khmer people are kind and very tolerant. I have never had a problem with personal security here - touch wood.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

What a crock of shit!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Paulo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:01 pm Bullshit. Worse than Haiti? That Mercer must be a total racist. Khmer people are kind and very tolerant. I have never had a problem with personal security here - touch wood.
I think it is way out because of some of the criteria they have included.

"the Mercer assessments takes in a broader range of factors, including internal stability, law enforcement, personal freedom and freedom of the press."

Probably they weight the scale with factors that many people do not regard as relevant to personal safety. However if they had included riding a moto I might agree with them! :lol:

They also note:

Despite the concerns for personal safety, the expat population of Phnom Penh continues to boom ( I wonder why- maybe they just like living dangerously :plus1: ) - with unreliable government estimates of around 160,000 foreign workers in the country in total – and in the 2017 Expat Insider survey report conducted by expat platform InterNations, respondents rated Cambodia as 12th for personal happiness. Still, Phnom Penh ranked in lowly 196th on the overall quality of living index. Maybe what people define as quality of living varies substantially! :D
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

Anecdotally, seems like a dangerous place for women, sometimes, but not so much men. Boys on scooters grabbing purses is what I'm mainly thinking of.
Kraken9216
Tourist
Haiti

Post by Kraken9216 »

Paulo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:01 pm Bullshit. Worse than Haiti? That Mercer must be a total racist. Khmer people are kind and very tolerant. I have never had a problem with personal security here - touch wood.
Haiti is a big place my friend. Haiti as a whole may be safer than PP. Parts of Haiti are absolutely safer than PP. But comparing an entire country to a city is apples to oranges anyways.

I don't think that PP is really all that dangerous though. Just sticking up for Haiti.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Good. All the weak ass cunts can fuck right off to their safe spaces and leave us our thunderdome.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

The good news is when your contract is being renewed you can cite this article as a claim for danger money.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Paulo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:01 pm Bullshit. Worse than Haiti?
The country in the Caribbean? Why would that be included in a list of Asean cities?
Scarier than malaria.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

Western males having "Heart attacks" and drunk lexus drivers made this article true.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic