Phnom Penh Rated as Worst ASEAN City for Personal Safety

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Phnom Penh Rated as Worst ASEAN City for Personal Safety

Post by explorer »

Paulo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:59 pm How many murdered expats can you think of in the past 10 years?
In Cambodia there are definitely murders which are claimed to be suicide, heart attacks, drug overdoses, and the Khmer say high blood pressure and fainting.

Because they are not investigated or reported honestly, it is difficult to know how many there are.

For example, there was a case about a week ago, where it was claimed a Chinese man committed suicide by slitting his own throat while lying in bed. This was almost certainly murder.

They present a fake good image, because if they told the truth, many foreigners would stay away.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Most of the violence in PP is Khmer on khmer, or Viet, or chinese.
There is not a lot of violenbce against barang except the drunken pothead variety who would get in trouble wherever they lived.
Gotta say i feel way dafer wandering around PP at night than I do at home. Gangs of kids hanging round all the street corners, people being knifed on a daily basis. I have more trouble in a weekend in UK than a year in PP
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Paulo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:59 pm How many murdered expats can you think of in the past 10 years?
A few, ones that stand out are the French guy and his kids, and the Dutch woman and her kid.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Paulo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:01 pm Bullshit. Worse than Haiti? That Mercer must be a total racist. Khmer people are kind and very tolerant. I have never had a problem with personal security here - touch wood.
Have you ever been to Haiti? It's actually pretty safe compared to Cambodia. It's a shit hole, but a safe one. Port au Prince is far safer than PP (but just as polluted and stinky).

Since you disagree with Mercer, he's a racist? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never understood why some expats decide to put on blinders when it comes down to Cambodia. It's ok to like the place. It's also ok to admit that it's a shit hole
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

It's also ok to admit that it's a shit hole."

Not only that, it's an expensive shit hole. Or at the very least overpriced.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Chamboy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:56 am It's also ok to admit that it's a shit hole."

Not only that, it's an expensive shit hole.
I gotta say, it's not as cheap as people make it seem. If you factor in eating normal food, buying a car, accessing ok healthcare, paying school fees for mediocre international schools, living away from obnoxious karaoke singing freshy boys and so on, it's actually cheaper and safer to live in Canada
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/wor ... a-vs-haiti lists Haiti as #13 for violence and Cambodia as #138 in the world as the top causes of death.

I have never been to Haiti, but they tell me it's nice. https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/reas ... ingled-out

As for shitholes, Cambodia looks pretty reasonable compared to Sub Saharan African countries, but Haiti does appear to have the edge.

Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Paulo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/wor ... a-vs-haiti lists Haiti as #13 for violence and Cambodia as #138 in the world as the top causes of death.

I have never been to Haiti, but they tell me it's nice. https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/reas ... ingled-out

As for shitholes, Cambodia looks pretty reasonable compared to Sub Saharan African countries, but Haiti does appear to have the edge.

Fair enough. Idk, never had a problem there. Then again, it's my personal experience and doesn't reflect the overall situation of the country.

I also think that we are very misinformed about a lot of African countries. Met a few Africans in Bangkok last weekend, and based on what I've heard and seen, Rwanda and Kenya seem a lot more nicer than Cambodia.

I wouldn't go to Mali or Sierra Leone, but Nigeria has a higher GDP per capita than Cambodia (Cambodia trails behind Laos, Bangladesh, and obviously, Vietnam). But yea, I'm going off topic. My bad
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Never understood why some expats decide to put on blinders when it comes down to Cambodia. It's ok to like the place. It's also ok to admit that it's a shit hole
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Well said, and necessary.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Queef wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:52 am Never understood why some expats decide to put on blinders when it comes down to Cambodia. It's ok to like the place. It's also ok to admit that it's a shit hole
People just get used to a place and things that used to seem messed-up don't seem so remarkable any more.
Many of the more recent visitors probably don't realize that it was far worse not so long ago. They think it should be just like Australia. :plus1:
I don't see what the issue is with personal safety, I've lived in far rougher places outside SEA so I don't get it.
I never understand why some foreigners come here and complain all the time either, but they are easily avoided.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic