"When Children Protest, Adults Should Tell them the Truth." Greta Thunberg - Climate Change Child Activist.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

"When Children Protest, Adults Should Tell them the Truth." Greta Thunberg - Climate Change Child Activist.

Post by RickyBobby »

There’s no doubt Thunberg is an eloquent, courageous, and precociously intelligent activist and an example to young people who care about the earth and its future. But it is precisely because she is such a popular and effective campaigner that it is important to scrutinise her message. In his Spectator column, Toby Young did just that and concluded that her message is nonsense.
https://quillette.com/2019/03/21/when-c ... OlggMXx7ak

"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: "When Children Protest, Adults Should Tell them the Truth." Greta Thunberg - Climate Change Child Activist.

Post by explorer »

Global warming is really happening.

Even if you dont believe in global warming, it is bad to constantly pour harmful chemicals into the atmosphere.

There is another aspect which most people have not thought about. China, and a lot of large cities are covered in smog. The wind comes and blows it away. Then they pour more pollutants into the atmosphere, and the wind blows this away. The time is coming when the entire atmosphere contains smog. The time is coming when people will tell their children the sky used to be blue.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: "When Children Protest, Adults Should Tell them the Truth." Greta Thunberg - Climate Change Child Activist.

Post by RickyBobby »

explorer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:36 am Global warming is really happening.

Even if you don't believe in global warming, it is bad to constantly pour harmful chemicals into the atmosphere.

There is another aspect which most people have not thought about. China, and a lot of large cities are covered in smog. The wind comes and blows it away. Then they pour more pollutants into the atmosphere, and the wind blows this away. The time is coming when the entire atmosphere contains smog. The time is coming when people will tell their children the sky used to be blue.
Most people have abandoned the term Global Warming, for Climate Change. The science is far from settled, however everyone agrees that the climate does change. The question is how much can be attributed to humans and is it possible to correct it if at all.

Most kids like this have been evangelized by their parents and are being manipulated in a way.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

This planet will become a terrible place to live. I think more people should speak up about it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Even if you dont believe in global warming, it is bad to constantly pour harmful chemicals into the atmosphere.

Haven't heard the term 'global warming' for while. It actually describes the (apparently) occurring pattern better than climate change.
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

Please lead the way, sir. Don't drive a car or motorbike and please stop buying useless shit from China that their factories are churning out.

Yes, the earth is getting warmer - we are coming out of an ice age. It's a good thing - the earth is greening and carbon is good for the environment as it makes plants grow.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Isn't climate change a research term used to study general change including man made change such as Co2 emissions causing what is known as the green house effect or global warming?

It's petty to argue over the correct term. We have polluted land, air and sea. Take a good look at the oceans today and tell me it is not man made. Every animal pulled from the deepest ocean contains man made waste.

History has shown that those people who oppose the next generation are wrong. You are standing on the wrong side of history.
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

fax wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:21 am
It's petty to argue over the correct term. We have polluted land, air and sea. Take a good look at the oceans today and tell me it is not man made. Every animal pulled from the deepest ocean contains man made waste.
That's a different argument from AGW. I don't think you'll find a single person on the planet who does not agree with you that humans are polluting waterways and the sea.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

RogueAnt wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:20 am Please lead the way, sir.
Shortly before the announced fees on plastic bags I bought re-usable cups from Only One Planet https://onlyoneplanetkh.com/

I totally refuse plastic straws. I have a couple metal and silicon ones but think the inconvenience to wash them is larger than my need for straws, so when they ask if I want a straw I politely decline.

I have a set of wooden fork, spoon, knife and chopsticks in my backpack. If I buy food for takeaway I bring a container to put it in in. Same with coffee, Only One Planet mugs. For delivery I send my own driver with the same re-usable container. I use cloth bags for shopping.

There are small things you can do that I think can make a difference. Yes I had to choose to change but it's not very hard to spend some time on it.

But I won't go to the lengths like dreadlocks hippies saying families of 5 should ride a bicycle. That's crazy talk.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Here’s a short list of past climate change predictions with data to show how they failed.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/30/ ... edictions/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic