New Honda Dream for $2,380

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

New Honda Dream for $2,380

Post by explorer »

A Cambodian friend bought a new Honda Dream 125cc for $2,380 this morning. This includes registration. He should get the number plates in about 10 days.

I share this information for people considering buying a motorbike, and want an idea of price.

You can buy new larger, stronger, non-Japanese motorbikes for much less than this.

You can buy a new 3 wheeler, probably from India, for around a thousand dollars more.

You can buy second hand Honda Dreams in good condition for around $1200. You can buy them in OK condition for around $800.

Some people buy cheap motorbikes (probably made in Vietnam) for around $300. These are not very flash.

I met one man who bought a $50 motorbike and travelled long distances on it. It was very rough, and only 70cc.

It would be interesting to hear what others have paid for motorbikes.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New Honda Dream for $2,380

Post by Paulo »

The Honda Dream is a very good bike. I know 'cause they pass me out on the highway doing 90 or 100 kph while I'm still tooling along at 80.

A couple of months back, I looked droolingly at a Dream until the salesgirl quoted me $2380. :twisted: I was expecting $1800 - $2000. :x My dream was broken.

I remember back in '07 sonny, a new Honda Dream was $1500.

Oh well, I bought the Yamaha new for less than $1600 with the front discs and fuel injection and I'm happy, but I still reserve some lust for the speedy Honda Dreams of the highway. ;-)

Also, people travel the world on Honda cub 90s and many more go long distances on a 110 or 125. About every 5 minutes, a hipster backpacker on a Honda Winner or the like, completes the north to south tour of Vietnam if facebook posts are to be believed.
Last edited by Paulo on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

Just heads up, you can not register a bike in your name if it already has a number plate on it. On top of that, it is technically illegal for a foreigner to own a bike not in their names. I know of only one person who had their bike confiscated from them and was unable to recover it since most pay off the police, but just keep that in mind for future shoppers.

That being said, I will never understand the obsession with Honda Dreams in this country. I thought maybe I just didn't "get it", so I got a red 2019 model (couldn't bring myself to get a black one) to see what the fuss was about. It still doesn't make sense to me. Drum brakes, carbed, a few dinky LEDs in the headstock and ancient low tech suspension. On top of that I had multiple issues with it starting, so after a handful of trips to the dealer where the motor had to be worked on, I said enough and sold it.

Got $2100 back for it though, and it sold almost immediately so that was good, but the theft rate coupled to the complete lack of any redeemable features makes this still a mystery to me.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I am confused
...it is technically illegal for a foreigner to own a bike not in their names. I know of only one person who had their bike confiscated from them..
If u were riding a bike and it was not urs and you were stopped, wouldn't you just say you were borrowing ur wfe/gf's bike or it was a rental?

I also cant see the popularity of a dream, I love my 125 wave.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:33 pm
I also cant see the popularity of a dream, I love my 125 wave.
That's what I ended up staying with, lol. Same price as the Dream (in 2017), but has fuel injection, front disk, alloy wheels, big underseat storage, and has been incredibly reliable w/39,000 km now with no mechanical problems. Fuel economy is also better than the Dream significantly. Dream was 40 km/l, the Wave is closer to 50.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

You can get a this years Yamaha Jupiter equivalent with fuel injection and disc break for $1200
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Some Cambodians may not know that Yamaha and Suzuki are also Japanese. Kawasakis are rare in Cambodia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Suzuki

Yamaha

Kawasaki

Maybe it's best they don't know.
Bob tailcat
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bob tailcat »

paid about the same for a scoopy not long ago.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Paid $2000 in 2014 with a basket and carrier as add ons.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic