Currency exchange HKD and USD in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lhyeung98
Tourist

Currency exchange HKD and USD in Phnom Penh?

Post by lhyeung98 »

Hi There,

1. Are the older USD 100 notes widely accepted in Phnom Penh? The ones I have are mostly from 2006.

2. Will the banks change USD 100 notes into smaller notes? What do they charge for each transaction?

3. Does anyone know if I can change Hong Kong Dollars to USD in Phnom Penh? I had a look at the Acleda Bank foreign exchange rates table but HKD isn’t listed.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Currency exchange HKD and USD in Phnom Penh?

Post by explorer »

lhyeung98 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm 1. Are the older USD 100 notes widely accepted in Phnom Penh? The ones I have are mostly from 2006.
Maybe not, but try your luck. If you have the opportunity to use them in another country, do it.
lhyeung98 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm 2. Will the banks change USD 100 notes into smaller notes? What do they charge for each transaction?
Yes. Normally free.
lhyeung98 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm 3. Does anyone know if I can change Hong Kong Dollars to USD in Phnom Penh? I had a look at the Acleda Bank foreign exchange rates table but HKD isn’t listed.
Most likely. Try these banks:

Canadia

Maybank

ANZ
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

lhyeung98 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm 3. Does anyone know if I can change Hong Kong Dollars to USD in Phnom Penh? I had a look at the Acleda Bank foreign exchange rates table but HKD isn’t listed.
A mistake above. Not Maybank. Try these banks:

Canadia

ANZ
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Just go to one of these money changer at the market, rates are way better.

And 100$ bills are accepted from any era.
Don't forget the water buffalo
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kayve wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am Just go to one of these money changer at the market, rates are way better.
I have had the opposite experience. It may depend on which money changer you go to. There are some money changers who, after changing money for your, go to the bank and get it changed. They make a profit.

If you have time, find out the exchange rate at a bank (you may even be able to get it on the internet), then go to the money changers and find out their rates.

Another problem with money changers, they may start with a bad rate, and you need to negotiate a good rate. I dont waste my time playing those games.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:41 pm
Kayve wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am Just go to one of these money changer at the market, rates are way better.
I have had the opposite experience. It may depend on which money changer you go to. There are some money changers who, after changing money for your, go to the bank and get it changed. They make a profit.

If you have time, find out the exchange rate at a bank (you may even be able to get it on the internet), then go to the money changers and find out their rates.

Another problem with money changers, they may start with a bad rate, and you need to negotiate a good rate. I dont waste my time playing those games.
The money changers on the east side side of Central market (Psar Thmey) all have clear signs with their exchange rates for 6-7 currencies.
lhyeung98
Tourist

Post by lhyeung98 »

Thanks for the info everyone
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Kayve wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am
Um, no they're not. It's also a scam. Many places will tell you they are too old. Others will charge you extra for converting them to Khr.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I always used Ly Hour. I started using them when I changed to HKD as they were giving me a much better rate compared to a couple other smaller places I tried. Here are the locations.

https://www.travelvui.com/cambodia/phno ... hnom-penh/
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Old 100's are getting harder and harder to use. They do not have enough anti counterfeiting measures.I have even had trouble with them at money changers in bangkok

Recently I have found bank exchange rates are sometimes better. It depends on the currency. You can check acleda rates online and see how they compare with what the trader is offerring
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic