Joke of the day, "Woman who scaled Cambodia’s three highest peaks eyes Everest

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Joke of the day, "Woman who scaled Cambodia’s three highest peaks eyes Everest

Post by phuketrichard »

I wonder if she realizes u cant do it in flip flops? :beer3: :D
One of the very few Cambodian women to have successfully reached the Kingdom’s three highest peaks is now eyeing Malaysia’s tallest mountain, Mount Kinabalu, and potentially even the world’s tallest straddling Nepal and China, Mount Everest.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/travel/wo ... YQ7697UDcI
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Joke of the day, "Woman who scaled Cambodia’s three highest peaks eyes Everest

Post by DaveG »

OMG, just checked the weather up there, It's fuckin freezing, 22 degrees C, it's a wonder she hasn't had to be airlifted off the mountain top with frostbite, good luck with Everest
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Joke of the day, "Woman who scaled Cambodia’s three highest peaks eyes Everest

Post by John Bingham »

Yeah, nice one guys, putting down some young person's ambitions. She isn't wearing flip flops in the picture either.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Was only joking JB,

Fair play to the girl, most likely much fitter than me, I'm out of breath just walking to the shop for another packet of cigs, I wish her well with her adventures.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Everest is covered with the corpses of expert climbers...it's more than climbing there, it's the ability to survive and function at altitude that few have the genetic capacity to survive. Good luck to her. But climbing in SEA to prep for Everest is like training to run a marathon by doing 100m sprints.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

She'll never make it. There's a difference between dipping your toes in something and going full on hardcore life threatening dangerous expert level.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm Everest is covered with the corpses of expert climbers...it's more than climbing there, it's the ability to survive and function at altitude that few have the genetic capacity to survive. Good luck to her. But climbing in SEA to prep for Everest is like training to run a marathon by doing 100m sprints.
AND because of glacier melt/global warming ( which some still insists is a myth) are showing up
Expedition operators are concerned at the number of climbers' bodies that are becoming exposed on Mount Everest as its glaciers melt.

Nearly 300 mountaineers have died on the peak since the first ascent attempt and two-thirds of bodies are thought still to be buried in the snow and ice.
Bodies are being removed on the Chinese side of the mountain, to the north, as the spring climbing season starts.
More than 4,800 climbers have scaled the highest peak on Earth.

"Because of global warming, the ice sheet and glaciers are fast melting and the dead bodies that remained buried all these years are now becoming exposed," said Ang Tshering Sherpa, former president of Nepal Mountaineering Association.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47638436

BTW; Hiking a 1,800m hill is hardly any type of preparation to even make it to BC, ( at 5,365m) which is a 28 day walk from Kathmandu or 9 days after flying into Lukla
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I don't think it takes 9 days to bc from lukla. I don't think it took me much more than 9 from jiri!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's also the small matter of funding, I believe it costs around $100,000 to climb Everest. I still think you guys are assholes for slamming on her.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Joke of the day,

Post by phuketrichard »

andy_morris wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:27 pm I don't think it takes 9 days to bc from lukla. I don't think it took me much more than 9 from jiri!
OK,
......After spending the night in Gorak Shep, day nine is the final leg of the journey to EBC

https://www.tibettravel.org/tibet-trave ... tance.html
Last edited by phuketrichard on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic