Dutch Expat 'Blacklisted' from Vietnam After 13 Years, So Stuck in Cambodia in the Meantime

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Dutch Expat 'Blacklisted' from Vietnam After 13 Years, So Stuck in Cambodia in the Meantime

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A Dutch dude says that he has been living in Vietnam for the past 13 years and had been doing visa runs to Cambodia every 3 months, but on this last trip out, he was told that he was 'blacklisted' from re-entering Vietnam, so he's trapped in Cambodia until he can get this mess sorted out.

Strange situation to be in.

'Need urgently advice. I’m living 13 years in Vietnam with my family. On name my girlfriend we have a restaurant. Because we not yet married I go out every 3 months on a visa run. This time refused me and told me I’m blacklisted. Won’t tell why or how long. I have a baby in Vietnam that miss her dad. My girlfriend is trying to work something out. Meanwhile I’m in phnom phen and need to reduce my lifestyle. Can be a month or even years,, een cheap accommodation, small. Advice for a sim card with unlimited wifi ! Maybe moving to another cheap place in Cambodia! Because I can’t go back VietNam my money is very limited. I’m not asking for money! Only tips and advises. Thank u so much'

https://facebook.com/groups/19118675091 ... 8663994478
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kevin168
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Dutch Expat 'Blacklisted' from Vietnam After 13 Years, So Stuck in Cambodia in the Meantime

Post by Kevin168 »

Did you forget to leave a tip for the vietnam immigration officer?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Dutch Expat 'Blacklisted' from Vietnam After 13 Years, So Stuck in Cambodia in the Meantime

Post by Cam Nivag »

The Vietnamese stamped him out to do his visa run and then wouldn't let him back in it seems.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

This is what scared me to do business anywhere in SEA. On a technicality or a whim, if I don't get my visa, I lose my business.

I didn't know in VN you had to do a visa run. Even if you have a Business?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

He was probably on a 90 day tourist visa "eternally". If you have a business visa you don't need to do border runs, and if you marry your Vietnamese girlfriend you can gain a long term visa (I forget how long, but I think it's 3-5 years).
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

VN visas are in months, 3 months as mentioned or 6 months. They don't bother with counting the days.

It is possible to acquire a one-year visa, temporary residence card or a certificate of visa exemption.

Most likely, his mistake was not getting one of those, not getting married and not getting the right paperwork/permits for the restaurant.

In general, VN immigration is fairly tolerant, as can be seen by the 13 years that they gave this guy, but if you give them a reason, like in any country, they can deny you entry.

Usually the situation can be remedied, but to the tune of several thousand USD.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Calling Hanno?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RickyBobby wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:46 am Calling Hanno?
I have a residence card but there are heaps of foreigners that do visa runs; he must have pissed someone off.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

hanno wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:26 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:46 amCalling Hanno?
I have a residence card but there are heaps of foreigners that do visa runs; he must have pissed someone off.
Being blacklisted with no warning or explanation is a bit harsh?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RickyBobby wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:31 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:26 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:46 amCalling Hanno?
Being blacklisted with no warning or explanation is a bit harsh?
Very and I am thinking that there is a little more to the story.... If they blacklisted everyone doing visa runs, there would be no English teachers left.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic