"Science does not kill God"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: "Science does not kill God"

Post by markd »

religion is not god. god is not religion. religion is middle men. god is not.
thru shit to more shit
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

markd wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:35 pm religion is not god. god is not religion. religion is middle men. god is not.
Agreed. Religion is a man-made set of rules used to control others and amass power and wealth, using a deity as a pretext. In my view, religion = death.

To me, faith is something altogether different.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:03 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:30 am My own observational data suggests to me that people living lives with accountability, morality and shared values inside of community have stronger family ties and marriages and are overall healthier and happier.
What on earth does that have to do with religion? Teaching people that they can spend their lives raping, pillaging, and committing genocide and still be rewarded in heaven if they repent to the right God before they die isn't accountable or moral or a value that many people would share if they actually thought it through. Fortunately it's all made up so there's no point in getting pissed off about it.
Calm down son. The majority of religious people are not as you describe, and specifically the ones I know are Christian; who don’t rape pillage or commit genocide last I checked.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:37 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:30 am My own observational data suggests to me that people living lives with accountability, morality and shared values inside of community have stronger family ties and marriages and are overall healthier and happier.
What on earth does that have to do with religion? Teaching people that they can spend their lives raping, pillaging, and committing genocide and still be rewarded in heaven if they repent to the right God before they die isn't accountable or moral or a value that many people would share if they actually thought it through. Fortunately it's all made up so there's no point in getting pissed off about it.
Calm down son. The majority of religious people are not as you describe, and specifically the ones I know are Christian; who don’t rape pillage or commit genocide last I checked.
Funny, I thought Catholics come under the heading of Christian. You might like to ask the pope about the rape bit!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

pczz wrote:Funny, I thought Catholics come under the heading of Christian. You might like to ask the pope about the rape bit!
Bad apples exist in any organized religion. Catholicism is one of the largest religions in the world that have a single unified structure and leader. Plus it’s politically fashionable to find wrong with the Catholic Church.

The pope is addressing it and weeding out the bad apples and behavior. Publicly.

It takes the bold to accuse a politically correct religion of bad behavior.

Stop bashing only Catholics.

Publicly and loudly go after some socially and politically correct organizations and see what happens.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re:

Post by RickyBobby »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:44 am
pczz wrote:Funny, I thought Catholics come under the heading of Christian. You might like to ask the pope about the rape bit!
Bad apples exist in any organized religion. Catholicism is one of the largest religions in the world that have a single unified structure and leader. Plus it’s politically fashionable to find wrong with the Catholic Church.

The pope is addressing it and weeding out the bad apples and behavior. Publicly.

Publicly and loudly go after some socially and politically correct organizations and see what happens.
yes I concur. Its vogue to bash Christianity these days.

As for the rest, I don't live in the past, and whatever you speak if is not anything to do with the bible or the true teachings of Christianity. Show me where it teaches that? That was just abuse of power; the evil nature of man exploiting something good. That just proves the need for it even more.

If you read what I wrote, with a mind to understand instead of criticize, you would see that what I am saying and reaffirm here is that people who strive to be Godly and live good honest and wholesome (moral) lives, have a lot of benefits from it. This is true whether their belief is actually true or not.

There are a lot of religious people, and they are the problem, because true Christianity is a relationship not a religion. Religion is all rules and law and tradition. Relationship is love and grace commitment and faith. (I actually agree with you that 'religion' has caused a lot of problems, the bible also speaks of the pharisees; they were very pious and religious)

And again, whether you believe that the bible is the inspired word of God or not, as a guide it helps live that life as above.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

:sign17:
RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:37 pm
Then you are being willfully ignorant. Many genocides and terrible crimes have been committed in the name of Christianity (and most other religions). Even God himself commits multiple acts of genocide in the Bible and instructs others to commit horrific acts.
The fact your friends don't do this stuff means they aren't getting their morality from the Bible (or any Abrahamic religious text).
RickyBobby wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 amwhether you believe that the bible is the inspired word of God or not, as a guide it helps live that life as above.
Have you even read the damn book?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 am There are a lot of religious people, and they are the problem, because true Christianity is a relationship not a religion. Religion is all rules and law and tradition. Relationship is love and grace commitment and faith.
That's beautiful - seriously. I'm going to steal it and turn it into a meme, and become rich with Internets...

Edit: added the subject line back.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

A lot of RB's posts resonate. I truly hope RB is no sociopath.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re:

Post by pczz »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:44 am

What utter Bullshit. I used to work in Social services 40 years ago when the church was covering up child abuse and it still is. It is endemic and what little action the pope is taking is just too little too late
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic