American,TOM O'CONNELL, Found Dead in White River II Hotel

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American,TOM O'CONNELL, Found Dead in White River II Hotel

Post by Kammekor »

Tarndog wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:22 pm This follow-up question just popped in my mind. If a barang had a life insurance policy, either an international type, one from their native country, or even maybe one here, would a cause of death being listed as heart attack here in the KOW be given a second review by a (more) qualified medical examiner before a payout was made? And if such second medical exam determines death due to illegal drugs, would a payout be made at all?
I guess it depends on the amount to be paid out.
Getting permission (not just from the family, but also from the Cambodian authorities), sending someone off, getting a reliable sample, and then getting a reliable result won't be easy.
Kdub
Tourist
Netherlands

Post by Kdub »

Don’t suppose you could elaborate on these “reliable sources”? Tom was a good friend of mine and there are a lot of us back home having trouble processing the lack of information on this horrible tragedy
rozzieoz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:13 pm Reliable sources tell me that illegal substances were involved.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kdub wrote:Don’t suppose you could elaborate on these “reliable sources”? Tom was a good friend of mine and there are a lot of us back home having trouble processing the lack of information on this horrible tragedy
rozzieoz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:13 pm Reliable sources tell me that illegal substances were involved.
I’m so sorry for your loss.

The information was given to me by a friend of his here, and it’s also on record in a news story I read online - I won’t give the link here but if you google, it will come up in the search.

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kdub
Tourist
Netherlands

Post by Kdub »

Thank you for the information. Every bit of news helps. Tom will be missed-
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tom O'Connell joined SEA Globe as editor in 2018.
Our Team: Tom O'Connell, Editor.
Tom O'Connell joined the Southeast Asia Globe team as editor in 2018 soon after moving to Asia from the United States. The longtime publishing professional has filled a variety of editorial roles for the likes of the Times of London, the New York Times Co., Fast Company, and dozens of other media outlets.
http://globemediaasia.com/who-we-are/team/
Thoughts to his colleagues.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:15 am Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: A 48-year-old American man, TOM O’CONNELL , a tourist, died of a heart attack in room no.101 at White River II Hotel, on street 172, Sangkat Chey Chumneas, Khan Don Penh, Phnom Penh.

The police determined that the victim died of a heart attack. After the examination, the body was sent to keep at the Khmer Soviet Friendship hospital.
RIP and condolences to his family.
so 48 years old, not a tourist but gainfully employed, heart attack determined by the police, ( how do they arrive at that)? Must have had friends, drinking mates so, whats their take on him?
Are there NEVER autopsies for deaths in Cambodia?..Surely a insurance policy would require one

When an expat dies in Cambodia seems there are more unanswered questions than answered ones

story he wrote for the globe a year ago about Myanamr
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

=fsdfdsdf wrote:i dont believe these are overdoses, date rape drugs are freely available but theres never a case reported, these are druggings that went wrong and the police want it to appear that they were caused by the victim rather then accidentally murdered by a khmer thief.
fsdfdsdf wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 pm
all the meths in Phnom Penh is heavily cut, alot of it isnt even meths
What evidence have you got for any of this? Date-rape drugs, cut meth? How do you cut meth? It comes in crystals.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

."...How do you cut meth? It comes in crystals."
....it does NOT always come as crystals
MSM being the most commonly used cut for crystal meth

Regardless you usually wont die from the cut...More people (especially tourists trying drugs in SE asia) will over dose cause the drug is stronger than they are used to or sold as something else<
H sold as coke
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This is what the same guy posted on Reddit:
I have had doses of something administered to me several times and had a very difficult time waking up , I havent been able to identify the drug but its mixed with or substituted for meths.
So they don't know what they are talking about, they are trying to say they were knocked out from "meths", which as most would know is a strong stimulant.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:19 pm This is what the same guy posted on Reddit:
I have had doses of something administered to me several times and had a very difficult time waking up , I havent been able to identify the drug but its mixed with or substituted for meths.
So they don't know what they are talking about, they are trying to say they were knocked out from "meths", which as most would know is a strong stimulant.
read it again. i am not trying to say that at all. maybe english is your second language
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic