Buying the cow

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Buying the cow

Post by armchairlawyer »

Chamboy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:38 pm Jesus, you too? Primarily we focus on comparative literature with an emphasis on the true symbolism of the poetry of Mallarme and Valery.
In my case, only with st 136 girls. I find in 104, Wittgenstein is more stimulating. In particular they go for "if people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done."
Or "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." This is very relevant in fact to Oasis and Xanadu (contradicting my earlier observation) and OneZeroFour.
And what better way to end the evening than with more Wittgenstein that is perfect for Cambodia -
"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

If she young and good looking marry her and enjoy the ride doesn't matter if she's western,asian or what, either City girl or country girl
In a few month's she'll be wearing clothes to bed and you'll be stuffed the same as every other married man
Just My opinion
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

I will discuss any subject as long as the girls in the miniskirts are not MENSA rejects.
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

"In a few month's she'll be wearing clothes to bed and you'll be stuffed the same as every other married man
Just My opinion"

Fair enough since they wear pajamas to the market.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:31 pm
Chamboy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:13 pm "Being intelligent is very important. Dont waste your time with a girl you cant have an intelligent conversation with."

Oh, the irony.
I think he meant Kant discussions. I love debating the merits of transcendental idealism and The Critique of Pure Reason with Khmer girls.

With my gf, however, I stick to practical stuff like what she is cooking for dinner today.
In my experience there's plenty of kant on here

monstra mihi bona!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:48 pm
Chamboy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:38 pm Jesus, you too? Primarily we focus on comparative literature with an emphasis on the true symbolism of the poetry of Mallarme and Valery.
In my case, only with st 136 girls. I find in 104, Wittgenstein is more stimulating. In particular they go for "if people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done."
Or "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." This is very relevant in fact to Oasis and Xanadu (contradicting my earlier observation) and OneZeroFour.
And what better way to end the evening than with more Wittgenstein that is perfect for Cambodia -
"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."
99.9999% of all doors open into a room. Its an industry standard. What kind of imbecile wouldn't know that.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:51 am99.9999% of all doors open into a room. Its an industry standard. What kind of imbecile wouldn't know that.
Well I guess you are in an intelligence class of your own.

Most doors in Finland open out. Security doors on buildings open out (stops vandals kicking them in). Shed and garage doors open out. Aircraft doors open out. Train doors (those that have them) open out. Car doors open out. I am sure there are many other examples.

I think you may want to re visit your statistics or be more exact with your statements.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

TOG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:59 am
RickyBobby wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:51 am99.9999% of all doors open into a room. Its an industry standard. What kind of imbecile wouldn't know that.
Well I guess you are in an intelligence class of your own.

Most doors in Finland open out. Security doors on buildings open out (stops vandals kicking them in). Shed and garage doors open out. Aircraft doors open out. Train doors (those that have them) open out. Car doors open out. I am sure there are many other examples.

I think you may want to re visit your statistics or be more exact with your statements.
I am speaking of rooms. That's residential.

Anyplace with snowfall would not have exterior doors that open out. It would barricade people inside. I've traveled extensively, and have almost never seen doors that do not open into a room, that's just poor design.

Shed doors do open out, because you want to pile them high with junk. Garage doors usually slide upwards and are roll up. Hangars usually have sliding doors, but if they are hinged, they would be so huge and of course could not swing through and around the aircraft to open inward. Again, I am talking about residential doors.

The only ones we installed that open outward were for handicapped access with a power opener. The person in a wheelchair is sitting in front of the door, and cannot maneuver around the door opening inward in tighter spaces like foyers and hallways. But the other good purpose for it is the threshold, for keeping water out, and also for the low threshold for wheelchair maneuverability.

There's another really good reason for doors to open into a room. You don't need to kick a door in that opens outward, you can just remove the hinge pins and take the door out of the opening. Doors that open into a room also have the hinges on the inside and that cannot be done.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think what you're looking for is saloon doors.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

The thought of marrying any women is scary. It requires an awful lot of trust. I find most people have two sides to their personality, and you don't want to be on the bad side.

We were going to be married, but I backed out, because I didn't want to leave her alone for periods of time as my wife, and yet I couldn't get her to come to the west, and I couldn't stay indefinitely. This really hurt her and yet, while she has had the chance, she wont let go, and this is not because of money. she is self sufficient and gets very little from me.

Character is an individual thing, and while there's no guarantees in marriage, you can definitely see a persons character in how they respond to other people, and how they go about their lives and respond to crisis, injustice, and thievery.

Are they vindictive, spiteful, prone to rage? How do they react when angry? Are they greedy, impulsive, manipulative?

I have observed my lady now for over 5 years. I am pleased that overall, she has proven to be consistent in her behavior, and doesn't like drama and wont cause trouble, even if it requires a financial loss. In fact, she walks away from it too easily. She just wants a peaceful simple life.

That's the very wonderful part of her. She doesn't broadcast her life, and is private. The part that is not so great is her interests are narrow and she doesn't seem to want to latch on to hobbies, and is not politically inclined or that interested in history.

I have accepted that this is a bit normal for relationships with Khmer women, and for all that it is, she is sweet and kind, and for my intellectual needs, I can go elsewhere.

I am also very pleased that she initiates our daily interaction, and that even when I am away for extended times, it is not me begging her for attention or dragging her along. In fact, I have given her several opportunities to go, and she does not. I am convinced that she would never leave me. She seems to have proven that, and she has won my trust.

I know some of you will laugh when I say this, but I see her as a lot different than so many, and as I have observed her friends, I see it to be true.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic