New Clean Water Plant Planned For Phnom Penh

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

New Clean Water Plant Planned For Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh to Have New Water Plant, Supply 400,000 m³ per Day
18/03/19 22:26
Phnom Penh (FN), March 17 – The Royal Government of Cambodia will build a new clean water plant in Phnom Penh’s Chroy Chongvar district, capable of supplying 400,000 m³ per day.

State-owned Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority (PPWSA)’s director-general Sim Sitha told Fresh News on Sunday that the Bakkheng Water Plant will be implemented in two phases; the first phase has an investment of USD 230 million, capable of supplying 200,000 m³ per day, while the second phase will need only USD 120 million, supply in the same capacity as the first phase.

Sitha stated that the French Development Agency, European Investment Bank, and a financial contribution from PPWSA will jointly fund the Water Plant. The project will take about four years and will resume operation in 2022.

According to the director-general, the government also plans to build another plant in Takhmao city, the capital of Kandal province, ten kilometers from Phnom Penh.

PPWSA, in late June, also signed a $15 million project on Chamkarmon Water Plant restoration and expansion early August 2017 with France’s Vinci Construction Grands Projets (VCGP), starting in September 2017 and expected to finish in September 2019.

The purpose is to increase capacity of the water supply from 20,000 m³ to 52,000 m³ per day, using advanced technology.

Minister of Industry and Handicrafts Cham Prasidh urged PPWSA to put further efforts to expand its water production capacity to meet the demand of rapid population growth and the emerging high-storey buildings in the capital.

The minister highlighted the needs to enlarge investment capital, sources of aid, and scope of development partners to address the supply of drinking water to the capital and rural areas in accordance to the Royal Government's vision – people’s access to clean water to avoid waterborne diseases.

Chamkarmon Water Plant restoration and expansion is the second phase of the VCGP for PPWSA following the completion of the construction of Niroth Water Treatment Plant II. Both were parts of the PPWSA Water Treatment Master Plan Phase III 2016-2030.

PPWSA, today, has four water plants, including (1) Phum Prek Water Treatment, 150,000 m³ per day; (2) Chroy Chongvar Water Treatment, 130,000 m³; Niroth Water Treatment, 260,000m³; and (4) Chamkarmon Water Treatment 52,000 m³.
=FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Equinix
Expatriate

Re: New Clean Water Plant Planned For Phnom Penh

Post by Equinix »

Phnom Penh has become a joke.

* Scheduled power cuts because there isn't enough electricity available (buy a generator He says. )

* Fill in lakes so the rain water has no place to go.

* Cut down all the trees so the populous has no place to relax and an increase in temperature.

* Let's build allot of apartment buildings without roads and public transport (skytrain, subway) to facilitate an increase in traffic.

When I have time I'll rant some more

timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Water supply has been getting increasingly unreliable over the last six months so this is obviously overdue.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:53 am Water supply has been getting increasingly unreliable over the last six months so this is obviously overdue.

It's not the lack of water that residents get angry about,,, it's the lack of pressure to make the water get up to the holding tank on their roofs, where it then goes to all toilets etc below it. This is a common problem we have in Takhmau. The water pressure increases at night,,,, sometimes ,,,,, and the tank will fill, but when its empty everyone has to wash out on the footpath or fill buckets and carry them up 60 steps [ E3 ] to flush a toilet. Our water pressure has been low for the last 3 weeks.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

How many building's water systems will be online before 2022? There is a problem now that could have been foreseen with a bit of thought....oh wait, nm. Billions of USD in new large project approvals this quarter already and NO thought given to infrastructure improvement that is necessary to support the development.

Now they go hat in hand to get free money because poor Cambodia can't afford it....*glances around at 20B USD in Chinese projects in PP alone*
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

I like living in the countryside. Cambodian cities are beginning to look more and more like a circus at an increasingly alarming rate.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Felgerkarb wrote:How many building's water systems will be online before 2022? There is a problem now that could have been foreseen with a bit of thought....oh wait, nm. Billions of USD in new large project approvals this quarter already and NO thought given to infrastructure improvement that is necessary to support the development.

Now they go hat in hand to get free money because poor Cambodia can't afford it....*glances around at 20B USD in Chinese projects in PP alone*
These are exactly my thoughts. Zero urban planning, zero foresight into anything. Even brand new places like HE boulevard area. People cycle up there every morning, but no bicycle path and you know they'll be no park there either. No way for cars to turn right at the major intersections yo ease traffic either like a proper boulevard. Just starting flyover at Chom Chau, no signs of any work starting at the clusterfuck that is 271/Monivong/Norodom.

It's all about $$$ for one's self. The article doesn't clearly state if the funding is a loan or donation. I wish everyone would cut aid to Cambodia so they could either sort their own shit out for once, or people hit the streets and demand a change in leadership or the leadership's approach. Tired of hearing the same old "we're a poor country spiel" by the government. It permeates the whole of society now to the point that most believe it, and think it's all fine. It creates a culture of begging and the deep rooted nepotism and corruption prevent the place from developing to its true potential. Plus ça change and all that...

Cost of land is insane given lack of infrastructure. How many condo units are coming on the market in 2019 again? 80 000? Even if half of those remain empty, it'll still put an additional strain on the demand for electricity and water.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 am
Felgerkarb wrote:How many building's water systems will be online before 2022? There is a problem now that could have been foreseen with a bit of thought....oh wait, nm. Billions of USD in new large project approvals this quarter already and NO thought given to infrastructure improvement that is necessary to support the development.

These are exactly my thoughts. Zero urban planning, zero foresight into anything. Even brand new places like HE boulevard area. People cycle up there every morning, but no bicycle path and you know they'll be no park there either. No way for cars to turn right at the major intersections yo ease traffic either like a proper boulevard. Just starting flyover at Chom Chau, no signs of any work starting at the clusterfuck that is 271/Monivong/Norodom.

It's all about $$$ for one's self. The article doesn't clearly state if the funding is a loan or donation. I wish everyone would cut aid to Cambodia so they could either sort their own shit out for once, or people hit the streets and demand a change in leadership or the leadership's approach. Tired of hearing the same old "we're a poor country spiel" by the government. It permeates the whole of society now to the point that most believe it, and think it's all fine. It creates a culture of begging and the deep rooted nepotism and corruption prevent the place from developing to its true potential. Plus ça change and all that...

Cost of land is insane given lack of infrastructure. How many condo units are coming on the market in 2019 again? 80 000? Even if half of those remain empty, it'll

still put an additional strain on the demand for electricity and water.

You forgot to add the strain it will put on sewage or do you think the japs will just come back and add another pipe so it can flow into the Tonlie Sap with all the rest.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:11 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:53 am Water supply has been getting increasingly unreliable over the last six months so this is obviously overdue.
It's not the lack of water that residents get angry about,,, it's the lack of pressure to make the water get up to the holding tank on their roofs
By unreliable I mean turning on the tap and nothing happening. Besides, if I go downstairs where am I going to get water from? Someone else's tap - if it's even working there?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:47 pm
Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:11 am
It's not the lack of water that residents get angry about,,, it's the lack of pressure to make the water get up to the holding tank on their roofs
By unreliable I mean turning on the tap and nothing happening. Besides, if I go downstairs where am I going to get water from? Someone else's tap - if it's even working there?

Yea, sorry I forgot about that.
Spoiler:
Note to myself,,Not all Barangs live in 6 bedroom mansions with 8 toilets,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic