Cambodia on Alert as African Swine Fever Spreads to Cambodia (UPDATES)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia on Alert as African Swine Fever Spreads to Cambodia (UPDATES)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Note that African Swine Fever is not harmful to humans.

African swine fever spreads to VN-Cambodia border
Khorn Savi | Publication date 18 March 2019 | 08:01 ICT
African swine fever has spread to parts of Vietnam that border Cambodia’s Ratanakkiri and Kratie provinces, a Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official said on Friday.

Tan Phannara, the General Directorate of Animal Health and Production director-general, told a Phnom Penh workshop that he had received informal information from animal feed companies and animal raising associations that outbreaks of African swine fever in Vietnam were getting closer to Cambodia.

He called on Ratanakkiri and Kratie department officials to remain alert in monitoring for outbreaks.

“I have received information that [Vietnamese] provinces that border Ratanakkiri and Kratie are reporting cases of African swine fever, and so I urge all officials to be vigilant,” he said.

In February, Vietnam became the third Asian country after China and Mongolia to report outbreaks of African swine fever.

The disease has hit Vietnam’s $10 billion pork industry and is seriously threatening future pig exports, Vietnamese online newspaper VN Express said on Friday.

Seventeen Vietnamese provinces have reported outbreaks, with Taiwan, Dubai, the US and the UK banning pork imports from Vietnam, with violators facing heavy fines and even imprisonment.

African swine fever does not harm humans but is deadly to pigs and there is no vaccine or cure. China slaughtered almost 700 million pigs in 2017 due to an outbreak of the virus.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... dia-border
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia on Alert as African Swine Fever Approaches Border

Pig Smuggling Clampdown
Tbong Khmum, Cambodia News: Customs police are on high alert for pig smuggling from Vietnam, due to outbreaks of African Swine Fever in the neighboring country. On March 30, 2019, in Krak commune, Tbong Khmum, customs officers stopped four motorbikes and two cars which were delivering 39 pigs illegally from Vietnam. Four people were arrested.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It's about time pig breeders started to change the type of pigs they raise, instead of every pig being a long white with the same DNA they should be going back to some of the older breeds or at least cross breeding with them to breed pigs that have some builtin resistance to viruses that love it when every pig is an identical twin of the others.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Never mind African swine flu, Cambodia should be on alert for the massive influx of South African refugees...they're bloody everywhere, and working as English teachers! There is going to be a whole generation of Cambodians speaking English with Saffer accents if Cambodia doesn't clampdown on this plague!

:stir: :ROFL: lekker bru!
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

i met a african english teacher in udonthani at a bar
he told me his nurse gf was pegnant so left her at home & came out with his uni student gf instead
ironically i could barely understand his english

:sign17:
thru shit to more shit
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

markd wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:17 pm i met a african english teacher in udonthani at a bar
he told me his nurse gf was pegnant so left her at home & came out with his uni student gf instead
ironically i could barely understand his english

:sign17:

I suppose he was still one of the best teachers at his school.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Dengue fever, power cuts, no water after midnight, Brexit embarrassment. Now African Swine Fever???

I can't take much more...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Swine fever detected in R’kiri
05 April 2019 | 08:07 ICT
African swine fever has been detected for the first time in Cambodia with an outbreak in Ratanakkiri province’s O’Yadav district. Some 400 pigs have been killed, said a Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries statement.

The General Directorate of Animal Health and Production director-general Tan Phannara told The Post on Thursday that the outbreak of African swine fever in Ratanakkiri is not a result of pigs being legally imported from Vietnam, as the province is not authorised to import pigs from neighbouring countries.

However, his initial conclusion is that it is likely that Vietnamese people who transport vegetables and meat over the border may have transmitted the disease to Cambodian pigs
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... cted-rkiri

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Official announcement by the Ministry of Agriculture on the outbreak of dead pigs in Ratanakkiri province, believed to be due to African Swine Fever carried across the border from Vietnam.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I was told by a Kratie guest house owner that they have taken pork off the menu for the time-being, due to news of infected pigs. However, the decision seemed to be based on local rumours rather than anything concrete. It seems that there is a lot of Vietnamese pork being sold (illegally or unofficially) in the local markets, and how to tell the difference between Vietnamese and Cambodian pork ? I always assumed that pork in the provinces would be locally sourced, but it seems not.

Also, the OP says that the swine fever is not harmful to humans, but does that mean that the meat can still be eaten, or that the disease is not contagious to humans ? Anyone know ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic